Quantcast
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Pet doc- I think moving is a great experience and I'd probably seriously consider it. How easily could you change jobs/move back in a few years if this turns out not to be for you?

About the heat.... I think I could do it short term (a few years), but not forever. I always have these discussions with people. I just DO NOT like heat and sun and for me, the intense dry sun/heat is almost worse than the humidity.... I know, I'm weird! I'm naturally auburned haired and fair and my boys are super gingers. The three of us don't handle it well at all and I think it's really self-protective! We're in the high desert now and because we're 4,000 ft+, the sun is SO intense. It's not nearly as hot as Vegas (we only got up to 100 this summer), but even here, it's tough to keep up with the hats, water, sunscreen, etc. and we have to SLATHER on moisturizer ! But all that being said, I'm still glad we made the move to somewhere different and I don't regret it. It's just not where I want to be for the rest of my life, and I'd probably feel the same about Vegas.
    Last edited by Gia; 09-24-2015 at 07:22 AM.
    Twins! Benjamin and William arrived 3.17.10

Food Blog: Savory Secrets

We'd have to buy stock in sunblock, for sure. It would be an every day year round thing. My kids are not as super ginger as Gia's but still only burn and freckle if the sun even peeks out from behind the clouds. DH is the same way.

I am definitely seriously considering it. If it were an opportunity for DH, I think I'd be more apt to jump on it. I'm not totally sold on returning to work full time with 4 small kids. That being said, the really nice salary would cover a ton of household help that I have to tackle on my own while working 25-30 hour weeks. Right now, I just cut out sleep. It is obviously not a sustainable path for the long term. It would also make it emotionally easier to leave my parents behind if I was a trailing spouse. They followed us to Iowa when the economy tanked and my dad needed a job with health insurance. They are not overly involved on a day to day basis but they do show up for all the big school events and major holidays.

We'd keep our house for a while to aid in moving back. I think it will rent easily. It is an awesome house in one of the best school districts in the state. Rent is so cheap in Vegas that we could float both if ours doesn't rent quickly. After a year, if we are loving Vegas, we can always sell ours. We have a rare one acre in town lot so finding a similar house/ lot if we decided to move back would be near impossible.

I'm not originally from Iowa. I grew up in the blue collar Indiana 'suburbs' of Chicago. To me, everything about Iowa seems like paradise, except the nasty winters. We have a low cost of living with high-ish salaries, great public school systems, a decent amount of cultural attractions/shopping and zero traffic. We may be the butt of a ton of jokes, particularly during an election year, but it is a pretty awesome place to raise a family. DH is not as enamored as I am. He is all about moving and keeps sending me links to real estate, annual pass information for Disneyland and hikes in Red Rock.

I wish I had a crystal ball, damn it!
    Last edited by petdoc08; 09-24-2015 at 05:59 PM.

Pet doc- I grew up in the Chicago suburbs too, but on the IL side. All those years of living there and visiting, I'd never been to Iowa until we drove through when we drove dh's car out to ID. We kept saying we couldn't believe how pretty it was- the rolling hills and farm land, and the people were so nice. We always thought Iowa was FLAT like IL!

We also kept out house (in PA) and are renting it out to make it easier if/when we move back. I think that's smart.
    Twins! Benjamin and William arrived 3.17.10

Food Blog: Savory Secrets

Iowa keeps making all the 'best places' lists; best place for jobs, best place for young professionals, best place to raise a family, and The Today Show voted Des Moines the wealthiest city in the country. I keep complaining that these people need to shut up before the secret gets out and everyone moves to Iowa, spoiling what we have. It is not at all like Indiana or Illinois (I went to undergrad in Elmhurst and then did a stint in the southloop prior to vet school).

I'm out in Vegas from the 9th-16th. I hope after that week, I'll have a good feel for the position and the area. I do have to pinch myself - I have a company willing to move ME, put me up for a week in a fancy hotel in Vegas and give me a nice per diem. Even if it doesn't work out in the end, I am definitely going to enjoy my week!

Petdoc - I moved from Orange County, CA to Henderson, NV 10 years ago. We started our family here and our kids are now 9 yo and 3.5 yrs old. I have to say, it took me a good 3 year for this place to feel like home, but we absolutely love it here. We have had opportunities to move back to CA and to Texas, but we have passed them both up to stay here.

I know people have a vision of Vegas of being all slot machines, strip hotels and whatnot...but honestly living where we live (a mere 20 minutes away from the stripe) it feels like any other suburban area. In Henderson, the city has required parks to be built everywhere, walking trails, bike trails, big play grounds...etc. Henderson (the newer part) also has some of the best schools in the valley (but to be fair....Clark County school district as a whole does not have the best reputation....but they are working on the splitting the district up to make it better and more manageable).

I think I saw something about Summerlin...out of ALL the areas in the Valley.....Summerlin and Henderson are the top two best areas to choose. I don't know a ton about Summerlin (as I don't live there)....but I know it rivals Henderson.

As far as the heat goes....I am totally bias....but that is why I moved here! I LOVE IT! My DH is a red-head, but he handles it just fine. It is dry heat and totally different from humid heat. But keep in mind....every building, house, store, restaurant has A/C so unless you are working outside it is not a huge issue. Also...there are all sorts of indoor playgrounds, pools and stuff like that to keep the kids busy, but not go stir crazy. And all newer parks are built with splash pads. My friend (who also moved from CA) absolutely hates the heat and was miserable her first couple summers here...has said that she has grown to tolerate it and it is not as bad as when she first moved here (I guess she has acclimated)

About the school voucher thing....I know they are implementing it, but I don't know all the ins-n-outs yet. There are a few charters schools that are popping up around the valley that seems to have good reputations ( I think Andre Agassi is backing some of the them).

Hope this helps a bit and Good luck on your "trial" run this week....

Thank you for all the great info!! I am starting negotiations on salary and relocation. If everything goes my way, we'll be in the valley by mid-November!! Crazy!!

The week trial was great. I was able to feel out the team and the area. Other than random slot machines in the grocery stores, I didn't notice anything that made me pause. Yards are much smaller than I am used to but I can deal if it means swimming almost year round.

So very exciting!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    A&K 05.18.02
    Baby Girl 09.06.05... Angel Baby Oct 2007... Baby Girl 10.21.08
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

I am so happy for you'