Quantcast
Page 3 of 36 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

ardathpaige - I've only made those cupcakes once but they turned out really good. I like to bake but I'm no expert, it was an easy recipe. I think I just usually take the cream cheese out when I start baking - by the time I get to the icing its soft enough. The low fat (but not fat free) cream cheese is softer and I'll sometimes use it for baking - I haven't noticed a significant taste difference.
    Joseph Andrew, 3/16/06
    Benjamin Alexander, 3/7/08
    Henry Adam, 6/10/11

Default honey & soy glazed salmon

I make this at least twice a month.

HONEY AND SOY GLAZED SALMON
    epicurious

2 tablespoons honey
    2 tablespoons soy sauce
    1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
    2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
    1 tablespoon water
    2 teaspoons vegetable oil
    two 6-ounce pieces salmon fillet

In a small bowl whisk together honey, soy sauce, lime juice, mustard, and water. In a small non-stick skillet heat oil over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking and cook salmon 2 to 3 minutes on each side, or until golden and just cooked through. Transfer salmon to 2 plates. Add honey glaze to skillet and simmer, stirring, 1 minute. Pour glaze over salmon.
    Last edited by ee_chick; 06-28-2005 at 08:10 PM.

Default Sesame-Hoisin Grilled Pork Tenderloin

I lovelovelove this

Sesame-Hoisin Grilled Pork Tenderloin

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 4-6
    Categories : pork tried and true

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    2 tablespoons soy sauce -- (light is fine)
    1 1/2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
    1 1/2 tablespoons rice vinegar
    1 1/2 tablespoons smooth peanut butter
    1 tablespoon fresh ginger -- peeled and chopped
    1 tablespoon sesame oil
    1 tablespoon chile-garlic sauce
    2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
    3 cloves garlic -- finely chopped
    2 1/2 pounds pork tenderloin -- (2 pork tenderloins), trimmed

To make the sesame-hoisin sauce, in a small bowl stir together the soy sauce, hoisin sauce, vinegar, peanut butter, ginger, sesame oil, chile-garlic sauce, lime juice, and garlic. Place the tenderloins in a shallow, non reactive dish and spoon the sauce over it. Cover and refrigerate at least an hour and up to three hours, turning at least once.

Preheat the grill to medium high heat. Grill the meat directly over the heat elements, turning every 4-5 minutes, until done to your liking, about 20 minute total for medium. Test with an instant-read thermometer for doneness. It should read 150 degrees.

Remove the meat from the grill, cover with foil, and let rest five minutes. Carve into thin slices, across the grain, and at an angle to the cutting board.

Source:
    "Williams Sonoma, Essentials of Grilling"

Default Alton Brown's Baby Back Ribs

Yum! I'm making these again for 4th of July.
    I vary my rub, but don't put allspice in. It's too strong.

Alton Brown's No-Backyard Baby Back Ribs

1 full rack/slab baby back ribs
    Kosher salt
    Shake No. 9 (see note)
    1/2 cup orange juice (not fresh squeezed)
    1/2 cup prepared margarita mix
    1/3 cup honey
    1/3 cup ketchup
    1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
    1 teaspoon espresso powder or instant coffee (freeze-dried, not actual grounds)
    1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne

Application: braising, then broiling

Rinse the ribs and pat dry with paper towels. Place on a sheet of extra-wide, heavy-duty aluminum foil. (The foil should be 4 inches longer than the ribs on either end.) Season liberally on both sides with the salt and Shake No. 9.

Turn the ribs meat-side-down and tightly seal inside the foil by folding and rolling the longer edges together, then closing the ends tight over the ribs. Place the packet in the roasting pan and refrigerate for 6 to 12 hours, turning the sealed packet over once.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Remove the packet from the refrigerator and unroll one end, shaping the foil upward like a funnel. Pour in the orange juice and the margarita mix. Reseal the foil packet and see-saw it back and forth a couple of times to evenly distribute the liquid inside. Return the packet to the pan and place the pan in the middle of the oven. After 1 hour, reduce the temperature to 250 degrees and cook until tender, approximately 2 hours.

Remove the pan from the oven, unroll one end of the packet, carefully drain all the juice into a saucier or small saucepan, and add the honey, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, espresso powder, and cayenne. Bring the mixture to a boil, whisking frequently until reduced to a glaze that coats a spoon. Remove the pan from the heat.

Move oven rack to the next-to-the-top position and turn on the broiler (use the high setting if you have a choice). Remove the slab from the foil packet and cut it into four equal sections (I use kitchen shears for this). Place ribs on the broiling pan, meat side up, brush with the glaze, and broil for 2 to 3 minutes. Reglaze and repeat until the ribs are a dark mahogany color. Flip the ribs bone side up and glaze, and broil a minute longer.

Makes 1 to 3 servings, depending on who's doing the eating

NOTE: A part can be any amount - a tablespoon, for example - depending on how much is needed. For one rack of ribs, 1/2 to 3/4 cup of rub will be sufficient. The ratio of ingredients for Rub No. 9 is: 5 parts brown sugar, 3 parts chile powder, 1 part garlic powder, 1/2 part ground thyme, 1/4 part cayenne, and 1/4 part allspice.

subscribing b/c I really need some new ideas!

Here's one from Allrecipies-dh loves loves it and it's so easy to make. I make the glaze during ds nap so it's less I have to do later

The orginal recipie is for 10 servings but I switched it to 4 servings.

Candied Chicken

INGREDIENTS:
    4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
    3/4 cup and 2 teaspoons dry bread crumbs
    2-1/2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
    1-1/4 teaspoons dried oregano
    3/4 teaspoon salt
    3/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
    1-1/4 teaspoons vegetable oil
    1/2 cup and 1 tablespoon and 2 teaspoons packed brown sugar
    1 tablespoon and 1-3/4 teaspoons prepared mustard
    3 tablespoons and 1/2 teaspoon ketchup
    1-1/4 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
    1-1/4 teaspoons soy sauce
    1 tablespoon and 1-3/4 teaspoons grated onion
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 cup and 2 teaspoons water
    4 pineapple rings

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DIRECTIONS:
    Rinse chicken breasts and pat dry. In a shallow dish or bowl, mix together the bread crumbs, flour, oregano, 2 teaspoons salt and pepper. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat; dredge chicken in bread crumb mixture and brown in skillet, about 3 to 4 minutes each side. Layer chicken in 2 lightly greased 9x13 inch baking dishes.
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
    In a large saucepan over low heat, combine the brown sugar, mustard, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, onion, 1/2 teaspoon salt and water. Bring to a boil, and pour over chicken. Cover baking dishes with aluminum foil.
    Bake in preheated oven for 1 hour, or until chicken is no longer pink and juices run clear. Top each piece with a pineapple ring, and serve.

Default What's your signature dish?

I don't cook much (I don't really enjoy it, and DH does, so he's pretty much the chef around here), but I make a few things well -- spaghetti sauce, quiche and lasagne are among my repertoire. My signature dish, though, is apple crisp. My DH doesn't eat anyone else's anymore, because he says he just likes mine better. So, I thought it might be fun to see what other people's specialities are, and maybe get some new recipes to try.

Here's an approximation of my recipe:

Apple Crisp
    4-6 large apples, coarsely chopped (I prefer Granny Smiths)
    2 tsp. cinnamon and sugar (mixed together in whatever proportion you like)
    Butter or cooking spray
    2/3 c. reg. oats
    1/3 c. flour
    1/4 cup brown sugar (though white sugar will do)
    5-6 tbsp. butter
    1 tsp. cinnamon
    1/4 tsp. salt

Toss apples lightly with sugar and cinnamon and spoon mixture into a 8 or 9 inch square baking dish (or two oval gratin dishes) coated lightly with butter/cooking spray.

Combine oats, brown sugar, flour, butter, cinnamon and salt, using a pastry blender or two knives, until the mixture is in pea-sized crumbles. Sprinkle evenly over apple mixture and press gently. Bake at 375 for 30-40 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.

What's your signature dish? Please feel free to share your recipe.
    ~ Jess and Jer ~ 9.15.03 ~

I'll think on this, all the while I see (and try) what others have to say
    There is no value in life except what you choose to place upon it and no happiness in any place except what you bring to it yourself. - Thoreau

I make this baked Brie with a yummy topping of the following:

onions, brown sugar, pecans, and dried cranberries all sauteed together so it's nice and carmelized.

Eat with crackers - yum-my!!
    Harrison - 4/15/2006
    McKinley - 9/7/2007

With my friends (most that don't cook) I would say my signature dish is called Taco Bake.

Taco Bake
    1 lb. beef (browned)
    1 packet of taco seasoning
    16 oz. Sour cream
    1 thing of salsa (any hotness)
    Shredded Cheese (I like sharp Cheddar)

Brown hamburger and add taco seasoning according to directions on pack. Place in bottom of baking dish (rectangle dish). Layer Sour Cream and salsa on top. Cover well with shredded cheese and bake at 350 until cheese is melted (about 10 mins).

Serve with tortilla chips. YUMMY!
    Marriage: 7.17.2004
    Mia Lynn: 9.2.2006
    Elaina Grace: 9.24.2009

Lately it has been coleslaw. I have a recipe from Truly Low Carb Cooking Vol 1 that is to die for. I added my own signature touch of a little dried dill. People at potlucks go nuts.

My other easy thing I always make is my "curry in a hurry"

1 lb lamb or chicken, cut into cubes
    2 tb coconut oil or butter
    1 onion, chopped
    2 tsp minced garlic
    1 can diced tomatoes
    2-3 tsp curry powder
    1 cup heavy cream
    salt to taste

Brown lamb or chicken in butter or oil. add onions and curry powder and sautee until transparent. add tomatoes undrained, cover and simmer on low until meat is tender (longer for the lamb; about 45 min) Add water if needed. When liquid almost absorbed, add cream and simmer until thickened. Serve over rice.