Quantcast
Page 1 of 36 12311 ... LastLast

Default Tried and True Recipes

I thought it would be a good idea to have a list of recipes that are tried and true so those of us who need a little help in the meal planning area have a bit of help.

I got this one from the Good Burger thread on the other site. It was originally posted by Colz85 and is great!

Barefoot Contessa Hamburgers

2 pounds ground chuck
    1 pound ground sirloin
    3 tablespoons steak sauce (recommended: Crosse & Blackwell)
    6 extra-large egg yolks
    1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
    3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    4 tablespoons cold unsalted butter
    12 hamburger buns

Carefully mix the meats, steak sauce, egg yolks, salt, and pepper with the tines of a fork, but do not mash it. Lightly form each hamburger and lightly press into a patty shape. Make an indentation and put a thin slice of butter inside each hamburger, making sure the butter is entirely encased in the meat.
    Heat a grill, broiler, or saute pan and cook the hamburgers for 3 to 5 minutes on each side until almost done. Remove to a plate and cover with aluminum foil. Allow the hamburgers to rest for 5 minutes and serve immediately on buns

Yes. Butter. But these are GOOOOD!

Great thread!

I know it's a little hot for chili right now (at least here in Florida it is), but this is one of my most favorite recipes ever.

Crock Pot Chili

Recipe By :Cooking Light Bulletin Board
    Serving Size : 6
    Categories : Main Dishes, Beef

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1 pound lean beef
    1 cup onion -- chopped
    1 Jalapeno -- chopped
    1 tablespoon chile powder
    1 teaspoon sugar
    1 teaspoon cumin
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1 garlic clove -- minced
    1 can kidney beans (15 ounces) -- undrained
    2 cans Salt Free Stewed Tomatoes (14.5 ounces) -- undrained
    2 ounces sharp cheddar cheese -- shredded
    1/4 cup red wine

Cook the ground beef in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until brown. Add chopped onions and the next 8 ingredients. Cook 7 minutes or until onion is tender. Place meat mixture in an electric slow cooker, stir in beans and tomatos. Cover with lid and cook in low heat for 4 hours. Serve and top with cheese.

** Adjust spices to taste (I usually use more chili powder because we like our chili hot).

NOTE: Can be made on the stovetop. Put meat mixture, beans & tomatos in a stock pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 1.5 hours.
    Risk more than others think is safe. Care more than others think is wise. Dream more than others think is practical. Expect more than others think is possible. – Cadet Maxim

Here's my corn on the cob recipe that I make whenever we grill anything:

Ingredients:
    Corn on the cob - still in the husks
    A pot or sink full of cold water
    Freshly ground pepper
    Freshly ground salt
    EVOO

Directions:
    Peel back the husks, but do not remove them. Take off the silks and discard. Put the corn cobs in the cold water and let them soak for 15 minutes. Take them out and blot them off. Coat the corn in EVOO and grind salt and pepper onto the corn. Fold the husks back and tie with a piece of husk or something that won't burn.

Place on grill and turn every 3 minutes. Move to an indirect heat source and continue to turn every 3 minutes until the corn has cooked for 15 minutes.

Serve with a pat of butter or Country Crock, if desired.

I am copying and pasting my mom's Mexican Casserole recipe from the other site.

Here is my mother's Mexican Casserole. I'll be making this on Thursday night. This recipe is sooo not written like a recipe you'd find in a cookbook, so I apologize.

3 boxes Jiffy cornmuffin mix
    1 lb ground beef
    1/4 cup chopped onion (optional)
    1 can nacho cheese soup (fiesta nacho cheese is what campbell's calls it, I think)
    1 can zesty tomato soup (if you can't find it, plain ol' tomato is fine)
    8 ounce jar picante sauce
    1 small can chopped olives
    Shredded cheddar cheese

Mix the Jiffy cornbread according to the box. Set aside
    Brown the ground beef and drain it. If you opt to use the onions, put them in as you're browning the beef. Dump in all the ingredients except the cornbread mix and stir it all up. Pour half the cornbread mix in the bottom of a 9x13 casserole dish. Pour the meat mixture on top of the cornbread mix. Pour the other half of the cornbread mix on top of the meat mixture. Bake at the temperature specified on the box of cornbread until a knife inserted into the casserole comes out with no raw cornbread on it. Sprinkle cheese on top of the casserole and cook it just long enough for it to melt, but not burn. Typically, it takes 30-35 minutes for the casserole to cook.

Copying and pasting my recipe for Beer and Cheese Soup.

1/2 c. butter
    3 c. chicken broth
    1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
    1/2 c. chives
    1 c. flour
    16 oz. Cheez Whiz
    6 oz. beer or non-alcoholic beer
    1 1/2 c. cream
    Melt butter. Add broth and add small amount of broth to flour; mix, then add to butter mixture. Remove from heat, beat with wire whip. Add remaining ingredients. Cook on low in slow cooker 4 hours or all day. Top with popcorn.

I omit the chives (DH hates them) and don't use popcorn. Also, I used Bud Light. The recipe says 16 ounces of Cheez Whiz, but it comes in a 15 ounce jar...that works and tastes just fine.

If you check on it and it looks really buttery, don't worry, it will sort itself out. Stir it before you serve.

You can serve it in a sourdough bread bowl from Atlanta Bread Company, Corner Bakery or probably Panera.

taragiraffe Guest

Old World Manicotti
    12 large mancotti shells
    4 c shredded mozarella, divided
    6 tbsp fresh basil/2 tbsp dried basil
    spaghetti sauce
    1/2 c grated parmesean or ramano

Preheat oven to 350. Grease 13x9 pan. Cook pasta, drain. Rinse with cool water and let dry on paper towels. For filling, stir 2 cups mozarella with ricotta and basil. Using a teaspoon, stuff pasta shells with cheese mixture. Top with spaghetti sauce and sprinkle with remaining mozarella. Bake 15 minutes. Sprinkle with parmesean or ramano and bake 10 minutes more.

Picnic Chicken Pasta Salad

2-3 cups shredded, cooked chicken breast
    16 oz medium-size pasta shells
    1 bunch broccoli, cut up into bite-sized pieces
    1/2 cup chopped red onion
    1 1/2 cups light mayonnaise OR plain yogurt
    1/4 cup reduced fat sour cream
    1/4 cup dijon mustard
    1 1/2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
    1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
    1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon
    3/4 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon pepper

Cook pasta according to package directions; add broccoli for last 7 minutes. Drain pasta and broccolil rinse under cold water. Drain. Combine pasta, broccoli, chicken and onions in a bowl. In another bowl mix mayo (or yogurt), sour cream, mustard, vinegar, sugar, tarragon, salt and pepper. Mix well and fold into chicken mixture. Cover and refrigerate. Serve cool. Serves 10-12.
    Boy - 8/04 : Girl - 6/06 : Girl - 2/08

Cheesy Mexican Roll-ups

9 lasagna noodles (cook and drain)
    1-8 oz. soft cream cheese
    2 c. shredded cheddar cheese
    2 c. shredded mozzarella cheese
    1-16 oz. taco sauce
    1-4 oz. green chilies
    1/2 c. chopped onions
    1 tsp. cumin
    1/2 tsp. oregano

Mix cream cheese, 1 1/2 cups of each cheddar and mozzarella cheeses, 1/3 c taco sauce, green chilies, onion, and spices. Mix well. Spread large spponful on lasagna noodle and roll up. Pour 1/2 c. taco sauce in bottom on 8x8 baking dish. Put rolls in pan. Top with rest of sauce and sprinkle with cheese. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes. Garnish with tomatoes and green onions.
    Boy - 8/04 : Girl - 6/06 : Girl - 2/08

POKE CAKE - a summer favorite

1 white cake mix baked according to the package directions and cooled
    1 box jello original or artificially sweetened
    1 tub of cool whip
    Fresh fruit garnish

After cake is fully cooled poke holes in cake with wooden spoon handle and chill cake in fridge over night. Next AM heat 1&1/4 c water and disolve jello

pour jello into poked holes and over cake distributing evenly over entire cake

Chill several hours so jello sets

Frost with coolwhip and decorate with fruit (I use the fruit that is the Jello flavor)

PS neighbor just made this and added coconut flakes and raz jello and it tastes just like a ZINGER! Yum hehe

Shrimp Dip

½ to 1 lb whole cocktail shrimp
    1/8 cup finely chopped onion
    2 (8 oz) packages cream cheese
    ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
    ¼ tsp parsley or basil
    ¼ tsp Old Bay Seasoning
    12 oz bottle Texas Pete Cocktail Sauce

Chop shrimp and onion. Mix with seasonings and cream cheese. Spread mixture in pie plate. Pour on cocktail sauce and chill for 1 hour.

Buy fresh or frozen shrimp that is cooked and peeled. If frozen, thaw and pat very dry.

Mom’s Potato Salad

4-5 potatoes, peeled
    4-5 eggs
    celery
    green onion
    sweet pickles
    mayonnaise

Boil potatoes until soft. Combine with remaining ingredients.

Mom’s Macaroni Salad

2 cups elbow macaroni
    sweet pickles
    1/3 bell pepper
    1 green onion bundle
    1 block cheddar cheese, grated
    ½ - ¾ cup mayonnaise
    1/3 cup sour cream
    Catalina dressing

Boil macaroni. Chop pickles, pepper and onion and add to cooked macaroni. Add remaining ingredients.
    Last edited by Jane&Andy; 06-26-2005 at 12:52 PM.
    Joseph Andrew, 3/16/06
    Benjamin Alexander, 3/7/08
    Henry Adam, 6/10/11