Quantcast
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Going Natural and "Excited" about Labor!? Was anyone else?

With just days to go, my first, honest feeling toward labor -- and I'm planning on natural/no epidural -- is *excited*. Everyone thinks I'm a freak for this. Was anyone else excited, thrilled, looking forward to the process? If you went natural, were you able to hang on to that excitement all the way through or did it dissipate altogether at some point?

I planned to go natural and I was cautiously excited. I had to be induced because I had a big baby and gestational diabetes, so there was a risk her shoulders would be too big to pass through. My excitement continued until the pain started. Then I was ready for it to be over.

I didn't have an epidural, but I did have a dose of Phenergan and two of Stadol. My body's response to pain is to throw up, but throwing up made contractions hurt worse...so I kinda needed something. I'm not saying that to scare you, but to urge you to keep an open mind. Nobody knows what kind of labor she will be dealt until she's in it.

Good luck!!! It hurts *a lot* but it is not unbearable. Nobody has ever died of pain.

I was excited ... but a little aprehensive, too. I went into it wanting to go natural, but because I had no idea of what to expect, I left the door a little open for epidurals, etc.

When things started to get painful, the nurses talked me through it because I had written in my birth plan that I wanted to go natural. I had some Demerol or something when I was about 6 cm, but that only made me feel drunk. Could still feel the pain.

Excitement isn't exactly what I was feeling during labor. Well, early labor, maybe. But when you're in pain, and everything is peaking, all you can think about is managing the pain, getting through the next contraction, finishing the race. I was sort of in my own little world for the intense part of labor. Like the final part of running a long-distance race. You just go into the zone. In fact, I don't remember much from 6 cm to fully dialated.

When I started pushing ... what relief. At last I was doing something. But, after 3.5 hours of pushing, I just wanted to be done. I was past exhaustion. I was so happy when my baby finally made his appearance, all the excitement came flooding back.

So, excited? Yeah, in parts. Now when I think about my birth, I just love the memories I have, and I'm very happy with how it went. It is a very hard thing to go through physically, but I felt empowered by the experience.

Jen
    Proud Mama to:
    Gabe 12.21.2004, Ada 10.17.2006, Ben 3.24.2009

I went natural with no drugs at all with both of my girls. I am glad I did it but if I wasn't scared of the side effects I would of taken anything they would of given me.

Alhough I haven't done it yet, I know exactly what you mean by being "excited"! We're in the middle of our birthing classes and after learning all the side effects of the drugs and techniques to cope with the pain, I too feel a little excited about a natural birth. I'm sure it is going to be even tougher than I am imagine, but the natural process of birth and letting our female bodies do what they were made to do really amazes me. Good luck w/your labor, be sure to come share your story in the natural birth thread to inspire me!
    Marriage : 1.15.05
    Benjamin : 4.26.06 : William : 4.7.08
    Samuel Evans is here! Born 10.11.10 weighing 9lbs 6oz and 23" long

I'm not sure "excited" is the word I would use for before labor, but I did have positive feelings about labor...maybe looking forward to the challenge would better describe how I felt and looking forward to seeing how it would unfold and how I would react.

I prepared extensively and planned to go naturally. I tried to stay as open minded as possible, since I had no idea what would actually happen in my labor, but I certainly knew I wanted to do what I could to have as few interventions as possible.

In my mind, all that preparing and positive thinking about labor made a big difference in how I dealt with it. I really trusted that my body knew what to do and was able to let go and stay quite relaxed through many of the contractions. I definitely was in labor land and when I started thinking my awareness of the contractions became much more intense so I guess in a way I let my feelings dissapate. At the same time, my feelings about labor were in my subconscious mind and that positive energy wasn't ever completely gone.

I labored and gave birth naturally and found the experience to be so very empowering. I was on such a high for a while...and while I've come back to reality, I would certainly describe my postpartum feelings about labor and birth (mine or anyone else's) as excited.

So, IMO, you are not a freak (or maybe I am too )...I think it is wonderful that you are excited about the journey you are about to take and hope you can continue to carry that energy through labor and mothering.

Thank you so much for the responses. Your words, even being tempered by the reality of things, are very, very encouraging to me.

I was totally psyched. Before my first birth, which was not unmed, I felt worried and anxious. I had no plan, really. Before my second, I did tons of planning for a medfree birth, and did everything in my power to make it happen. I was totally excited and it went beautifully.
    DD-8, DD-5, DS-2, DD-1

i planned for a natural birth, was very "excited" about it (curious would be a word i would use to describe it...i never had a fear of it like so many women) and then made the hard decision to be induced so i made it clear that i wanted pain meds in that case. well, the meds never took and i ended up feeling everything. at the time i wanted to die -- of course it is painful -- but as someone else said, it is very empowering and i was one of those who got relief out of pushing + i had a very short labor and only pushed for an hour...i'm sure that had a lot to do w/ it, HAHA.

so this was my long way of saying, yes, i was excited and even though it was painful, it was still a very beautiful experience for me and i look forward to going through it again.
    Catalina 2005/Mateo 2009/Beatriz 2012

angb: i'm also excited about the upcoming birth of my baby (I still have about 6 weeks to go)...
    however, in response to your question
    If you went natural, were you able to hang on to that excitement all the way through or did it dissipate altogether at some point?
    what i learned in my bradley class is that at the onset of labor, you probably will be excited, but as the labor progresses, the majority of women go through several emotional signposts...including total focus on the contractions (where you have to really concentrate on relaxing your body) and then eventually during the transition stage a period of self doubt and confusion. once you start pushing, the excitement will come back.
    if you are committed to having a natural birth, knowing these signs and having someone close to you there who knows your intentions should help. i heard the hardest part to not give in to the meds is during the transition period, but you just have to remind yourself that if you've hit that stage, it's almost time to push!

good luck, and hope you have a great birthing experience!