Quantcast

Default Toddler high-chair toys & activities

After lunch, my 2 year old usually stays in her high chair or by the table and I pull out playdough or color crayons for her to play with while I clean the kitchen or fold a load of laundry or clip coupons or write lists. I like keeping her still for a while so I don't have to drop what I'm doing to trail her around the house. She's starting to get bored with her two options though - any more suggestions for me?

(I sometimes let her paint too... but that is really, really messy so we don't do that one very often. : )

I'm impressed that your 2-year old will stay in her high chair My DD was demanding to get down when she was about 16 months old.

Anyway, have you tried stickers? My DD will be 2 on 12/17 and she can entertain herself with stickers for a LONG time. She makes a mural with stickers on a piece of paper (like coloring, only with stickers).

Dump a pile of dress-up clothes on the floor for her to try on.

Give her a pile of books that she hasn't seen/read in a while. They'll be like new to her.

Also messy but when I want to keep my DD occupied in the high chair I let her "make cookies." Dump a bunch of flour, water, oatmeal, maybe a few raisins or choc. chips--basically anything I don't worry about her eating a bit of--into a bowl and let her mix. I also give her an old set of measuring cups (plastic) and she pours the mix back and forth between the cups. She has stayed busy w/this for up to an hour.

Another thing she likes to do is sit in an empty laundry basket w/a pile of books while I fold the laundry. She enjoys demanding more books like a princess and happily pages through them. Buys me about 20 mins.

We just got our DD a Travel Doodle Pro and it works WONDERS. She will play with this thing for 10 minutes at a time, very nice and quietly. We are looking for similar items. Quiet, open-ended play for her budding little mind... and something she can use in the high chair, car seat, etc.

I do NOT recommend this similar drawing toy from Parents Magazine (we got ours at Target):

The bug you push to erase the board is on a gear or something (it makes a noise). You push it across and then it slides back on it's own. The problem is that it is too hard almost for ME to push across, never mind my DD trying to do it herself! (You'd think they'd test this stuff...) So even though it's bigger and has the stampers and everything, my daughter much prefers the smaller one that she can use all on her own. She even sat through a whole church service last week, playing with it off and on.

Any more suggestions?
    Last edited by booksie; 04-26-2006 at 10:31 AM.

Helena will sit in her highchair for a long time also if I give her flour, cornmeal, oats, rice, water...whatever's in the cabinet, along with spoons, bowls and measuring cups.

I've also tried spraying some shaving cream and letting her play with that on her highchair tray, but it gets a little messy.

I love stickers! They keep her busy for a long time.

At least once a day helena requests to go to her crib where I give her a tub of books and she reads them. I know her real reason for wanting to go to her crib is that she gets her paci while she's in there, but I think she enjoys the books also.
    married 11.2.02
    helena elizabeth 12.2.03
    marisa carmen 7.8.05

How do you keep her from eating the shaving cream? My DD would eat it! (She eats soap too... : )

I'm impressed that your 2-year old will stay in her high chair
    Yeh, no kidding. Mine has been out of a booster for a couple months. We don't even have a highchair anymore.

As for not eating shaving cream, I just keep telling her not to eat it. Same thing with Play-Doh and markers. There have been some accidents and near misses, but now (25 months) she doesn't try to eat those things at all.

not eating shaving cream: She got a lick one time and she made a horrible face, so I guess she learned that it tastes bad and she's never tried again. She does like to munch on Play-Doh sometimes though. Yuck. Guess it tastes better than shaving cream.
    married 11.2.02
    helena elizabeth 12.2.03
    marisa carmen 7.8.05

I gave DD (2) a sheet of aluminum foil this morning and it kept her busy long enough for me to unload the dishwasher. She mostly banged on it to make noise, but it had lots of cool properties that she enjoyed checking out. And trying to get her to say aluminum was hilarious. : )

What about puzzles? Noah has some of the M&D sound and light puzzles, and they'll keep him happy for a LONG time. Gets a little obnoxious to listen to that siren over and over, but he's happy.

You could do paint markers (washable bingo markers) and let her paint with those. Less messy. Noah's also been enjoying aquadoodle stuff recently.

Does she do imaginative play? If so, some playmobil 123 might keep her occupied for a while:
    Emily mom to Noah - 4/04 & Daniel - 9/07