Quantcast
Page 1 of 108 1231151101 ... LastLast

Default Attorney Support Thread

I hope some other attorneys have come over from the WC and will be interested in participating in this thread.

Boy, do I need to vent! I work for the Kansas Legislature, and we're in a Special Session right now. I've been working for a week straight, and we're making very little progress. My husband has been frustrating the hell out of me. I feel like I have to ask him to do all these extra things, like make dinner tonight, and I wish (as unrealistic as it may be) that he would just do them on his own! It's like he doesn't even consider what it is like for me to spend 15 hours a day, 7 days a week at work. Um, hello! It wears on you, you know?!

Anyway, thanks for listening.

Oh, sorry to hear about the crazy hours! How long does the special session last? And, bad, bad hubby for not helping out and being sympathetic. Sometimes they just don't think!

I was just thinking about starting this thread, so I'm glad you did. It seemed like there were a few attorneys over on the WC, so hopefully they make their way over here.

Me: I just graduated from law school last May and passed the Bar in November, yay. I'm currently clerking for a judge, but my clerkship ends soon, so I have to figure out what I'm going to do next. I don't want to be a litigator, but it seems those are the only jobs out there! I would love to continue working for the courts, any court. My co-clerk is going to be working for a state court of appeal as a permanent research attorney, and I'm totally jealous. So, we shall see what will become of me...

Quote Originally Posted by umwhee
    How long does the special session last?
    The Supreme Court told them to have a school finance fix for the Constitutional problem by July 1, but most of the House seems to want to tell the Court to stick it where the sun doesn't shine.

Of course, with the Independence Day holiday coming up next weekend, I'm sure they'll finish by next Friday.

I hope your job hunt works out. I know how hard it can be to want something different than the typical legal position. But they truly are out there. I hope you'll be able to find the right fit!

Hi - just joining in. Not a lawyer *yet* I graduated from LSU in May and am (supposed to be) studying for the Louisiana Bar in July.

No job lined up yet. I can continue at my current clerkship, which is with an aviation and maritime plantiff's firm, which consists of one attorney, who lives in VA and only flies in once a month or so. So, I can work from home a lot of the time if I want to.

I'm hoping to get into government. I'd like a piece of Club Fed. Sure, 200K a year would be nice, but I'm not cut out for BigLaw. I just don't like this stuff that much.

Wish me luck - prayers to Jesus, Mohammad, Buddah...hell, even Xenu are much appreciated right now!

Another lawyer here!

lwayerlee I'm sorry this weekend was so annoying for you. I hope that you were able to stay home Sunday? Those kind of hours are just brutal....

umwheeCongrats on the clerkship - isn't it just the most amazing experience? I clerked for a fed judge in Manhattan, and would give everything to be his permanent clerk. Problem is, he's so great that every former clerk would battle for that job if he ever went to a permanent clerk system.

I'm usually pretty discreet about this, but I work at one of the -----. It's just about as close to clerking as you can get, in terms of the variety of cases. I highly recommend it if you don't mind dealing with tons of annoying pro ses.

[/B]Aimee[B] Good luck! Studying for and taking the bar is so not fun. But you will totally pass, if only to never repeat the experience again. If you have any questions about government, please feel free to ask. I've worked for state and federal offices, and have had more background checks than any one person should go through.

Glad to find this thread!
    Last edited by kris97; 08-11-2005 at 08:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kris97
    Another lawyer here!

lawyerlee I'm sorry this weekend was so annoying for you. I hope that you were able to stay home Sunday? Those kind of hours are just brutal....
    Unfortunately, the House is working today, so we are, too. We did get the morning off, though.

Hi all! I'm coming over from WC as well -I think this new board is great. My name is/was RobynScott over there as well - but I don't have the time to post too much.

Lawyerlee - I thought it was only private practice attorneys that worked weekends - sorry about that - but thankfully it seems like there is an end in sight!

Hi also to umwhee, kris97 and aimee !

I'm a 4th year associate (egads - when did that happen!) at a medium-large firm in Philadelphia - lots of changes afoot in my group which you may se eme posting about in the next few weeks.

Hope everyone had a good weekend (sorry lwyerlee!) - and a good week! (but - why does tomorrow have to be Monday? - oh well - have a good one!

Hi all! I am a first year associate at a small firm. Our bread and butter is commercial litigation, but we do pretty much anything.

Today, I have to work on a complaint we are drafting for a person who is appearing pro se in Tx. (Weird I know) I have to break to my boss that there is no federal question jurisdiction, as there is no state action. I started pleading it for diversity jurisdiction, and on my way out the door on Friday, he mentioned that he thought it was a fed question. I assume this meansthat he wants it pleads under the 14th A, as it is a discimination case. I didn't feel like dealing with explaining it to him then, I don't think he will agree, and he will likely make me plead it his way.

You can't sue the EEOC, can you? Do they have immunity? I would think that they do.

Anyone in TX and know the state's civil rights/anti discrimination law? I would rather plead the complaint under that than under the 14th A (like my boss wants to...which makes no sense, bc as I said, there is no state action unless you count the EEOC denying his claim, and that will only work if the EEOC is sue-able...which I don't think it is).

Enough rambling for now
    Last edited by Esq.; 06-27-2005 at 04:38 AM.

Kyrsten Off the top of my head, it depends on what he's suing for and what his cause of action is. The EEOC is a federal agency, so the 14th amendment wouldn't apply (the 5th usually does). Also, you can't sue the federal govt absent a specific waiver of sovereign immunity. He can sue an individual federal employee for constitutional violations in a Bivens action, and he can challenge an agency decision under the Administrative Procedure Act, but generally you can't sue a federal agency for money damages based on alleged constitutional violations. If he's suing for employment discrimination, then that has to be under Title VII; and if he's suing for a tort injury, that has to be under the Federal Tort Claims Act.

Hope that's helpful.

If I sue under Title VII, don't I sue the employer, not the EEOC? Then that would be federal question jur, bc of Title VII...didn't think of that...brain fart. Is that right?

I think that it would be the 14th A through the vehicle of the 5th (making it applicable to the federal gov't as well as the states), wouldn't it? The 5th A is "No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous, crime..."

I am sure the EEOC didn't waive immunity. Why would it? It would get sued like this all the time if it did...