Quantcast

Default MTV True Life- I'm Home From Iraq

Did anyone watch this show tonite? I don't even know what to say...

The suffering these young men have gone through- physical, emotional. They all seem to have this haunted look in their eyes. Especially Charles, the one that people kept asking if he had killed anyone. He suspected that he had PTSD, but didn't want to seek help- concerned he would be seen as weak or trying to avoid another tour of duty. His brother said he had changed so much as a result of going over there.

Then there was Joey, who lost both legs and one arm, facing a year of rehab to learn how to function with artificial limbs.

AND THERE ARE THOUSANDS OF THEM.

It makes me wish I could rewind the clock for them.

Way to go, George W.
    Married~2003
    Mommy~2006 and 2009
    Independent Scentsy Consultant

I saw it. Very sad. And Joey who had lost one arm and both legs already and he was faced with the fact he might lose his one last remaining limb. And he just said he would go on if thats what would have to happen. Gosh I could not even begin to imagine. And why would that have to be the first thing you ask someone coming back form Iraq- Did you kill anyone? I think it really upset him when the reserve people asked him. I mean why ask that. Was it fun? Did you like it? I doubt they would like it when they went there.

I know, he really looked so upset. It got to me when he responded, "Well, what would it have been like if he killed me?" and to the junior high-that those people had kids just like them that they would never see again. You can tell he really has had that on his mind. I saw another show where a young soldier said that every time he had to kill someone, he lost a piece of his soul. It breaks my heart that they have to go through this. I hope he gets help.

My uncle is in the army and got a Bronze Star for something that happened in Afghanistan, but he won't talk about it. What gets me is the magnitude of this whole thing. There are thousands of soldiers over in Iraq and Afghanistan and most of them are probably going through things like this. And from what I read, they don't get the support they need when they get back.
    Married~2003
    Mommy~2006 and 2009

Thats so sad but very true. I dont think I could ever do what they are doing now. I know a few people who have family over there. One lady I work with has one of those car magnets thats says half of my heart is in Iraq. I really dont some people are very appreciative. At least thats what it seemes lke on the show.

DH and I watched that too, and it is so sad! That poor guy Charles who was IMHO definitly suffering from depression which can only get worse if left untreated. I think that it should be mandatory that these guys get at least a full year of psychiatric care when they return, and yet I don't think they are required to get any help. In fact they just get sent right back, and it seems like Bush doesn't give a crap about anything other than having warm bodies out there. What a terrible terrible shame! What good does it do anyone to have a bunch of severly depressed young men and women out there??

Shame on GW
    Liliana Chloe ~ 11/13/05
    Levi Marcus ~ 05/21/09

I didn't see it, but I have seen similar shows. Such a terrible shame, and I agree. i don't think they get the care or treatment they need. It really ios an outrage, and one so many people miss.
    Ethan 2/5/03 Kelly 11/25/05 Maddox 6/18/08
    I have CDO. It's like OCD, but all the letters are in alphabetical order...like they should be.

Shame on W, indeed. Every time I see his face, I wonder how he lives with himself. It blows me away how one man's terrible decision can cause suffering for hundreds of thousands.

The soldiers are required to go through a few things when they back, but I think they're just asked if they want counseling, and if they say no, it ends there. Many say no because of the stigma attached. Also, how are they to know in the first few days of returning what kind of problems they'll have getting used to being back?
    Married~2003
    Mommy~2006 and 2009