Quantcast
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    artist Guest

Default Advice needed: my dog thinks he's a cat!

First Parker (our 2 year old chocolate lab) was washing his face like a cat. DH and I had never seen a dog do this. We do have a cat though, so maybe she taught him how to do this.

Then last night Parker did something that we found really hilarious (to the point of wishing we had the camera ready), yet it is also really naughty and gross.

He was lying across the kitchen table! I knew I should have scolded him immediately, but it also made me laugh so hard I nearly peed my pants. Anyway, then he did the same thing several hours later. I am sure, with both DH and I at work right now (and everyday), he might be sitting up there as I type this. Not only is this really gross and strange that he does this, but I am also worried he is planning to get into the rest of the house so he can destroy it. (We keep a gate in the kitchen door to restrict him to just that room when we are not home.)

So, what can I do? How can I train my dog NOT to take naps on the table? Again, as far as I know, this bad habit started last night. I do think the cat taught him this. Because, even though we try to make the cat not get on tables, I guarantee when we leave the house she sits on there. Also, our cat Chelsea is the dominant animal in the house. We had her first, and she DOES really boss the poor dog around. So, it really wouldn't surprise me if she is influencing the dog to do strange things.

LOL....now if he started scratching at the cat post, then that's something to *really* be concerened about
    got married: 08/27/05
    had a girl: 10/05/06 - then a boy: 12/18/08
    and now another boy: 09/21/10

artist Guest

Quote Originally Posted by maplekitty
    LOL....now if he started scratching at the cat post, then that's something to *really* be concerened about
    Heck, at this point, if he did that, it wouldn't surprise me!

Wouldn't it be fun though if I could teach the cat to shake my hand?
    Last edited by artist; 11-17-2005 at 01:29 PM.

How on earth did your dog get on the table?!? LOL...that must have been hilarious (while concerning at the same time, of course).

If it's any consolation, my dog acts a bit cat-like, too. We have a 10 year old cat, so I think she thought that since the cat "washes" herself, that the dog needed to do that, too. Our dog spends more time washing herself than the cat now. (She is washing her paws as I speak.)

Outside of seeing a doggie psychiatrist, maybe you could always be sure to tuck the chairs in so your dog can't jump on the table? Otherwise I'd recommend catching it with a video camera and sending it in to Funniest Videos. It's a sure winner!!!
    houses blended - Nov. 2002
    house addition - Dec. 2007

OMG! Ari washes his face too! It's so bizarre. As for the table, I would put some noisy things up there like empty cans that will fall off and make a loud noise if he jumps up on the table. That should fix it up pretty quick. I doubt you'll have to do it more than three times.
    Nothing can withstand the power of millions of voices calling for change. Obama 08. Yes We Can.
    pocketjournal

Growing up our 90lb dog used to sleep on our dining room table (we never used it). She mostly did it because it was right in front of a bay window which she could look out of. We could never break her of the habit. We tried putting lots of stuff on the table, removing the chairs (what we thought she was using to get up there with), changing the arrangement of the chairs to block the table, etc. She was very resourceful and tenatious. I have nothing more to add than what the previous ladies mentioned.
    "It's so easy to laugh, it's so easy to hate, it takes guts to be gentle and kind" ~ The Smiths
    DS1 6.29.06 ~:~ DS2 10.7.10

Maybe try something like this:

http://www.fancypaws.com/sofascam.html

I had a friend who used one to keep his dog off their bed while they were at work. Though if your dog really thinks he's a cat, maybe you should put some tape - sticky side up - that will stick to his paws when he jumps up there. I know cats hate that.

grooming is normal for dogs too. They aren't as fastidious about it as cats but they do groom themselves too.

My dog has climbed on the table a few times. It started when he was a puppy and was chasing a cat - cat jumped on the table and he followed. I only found him up there a few more times and not in a long while. But he's crated when we aren't home. If your dog keeps doing this and has access to the table when you aren't around to correct him then its hard to train him not to. I'd try locking him out of the kitchen when you aren't home. Then watch him when you are home and if he goes for the table tell him "No, Off!"
    Joseph Andrew, 3/16/06
    Benjamin Alexander, 3/7/08
    Henry Adam, 6/10/11

My friend used to cover things with aluminum foil to repel her cat. Could you try lining your table in a giant sheet of foil?

When my dog was a still under a year old, she jumped up on the kitchen table (WHILE we were sitting around it) from an almost sitting position! OMG I thought it was the funniest thing I had EVER seen! I totally know why she did it, too. She visited the dog park EVERY day and there were several picnic tables inside the dog area on which the dogs were free to jump - it was THEIR area!

I would suggest an empty soda can with some pennies it to try to correct the behavior now. Shake the can at him followed by a stern "no" and that should break him of the habit! It worked for my cats! lol