Quantcast
Page 1 of 100 1231151 ... LastLast

Default TTC rookie questions.....

Thought it would be nice to have a thread where people can ask simple questions about TTC and not feel stupid. I know I feel stupid sometimes and shy about asking basic questions.

I'll start......

Is the length of your cycle determined by counting the days between the first day of AF to next month's first day of AF?
    Last edited by southerner; 11-13-2005 at 08:27 AM.

Ooooo! Great thread, Southerner! I have a question of my own!

Is there a thread or post out there with all the commonly used TTC/TTA abbreviations?

there's a sticky in this fourm with the abbreviations. They're confusing at first, aren't they? I reference that sticky all the time. It's like I'll read someone's post, then go to that thread to figure out wht the heck they're talking about

Here's a link for ya!
    Last edited by southerner; 09-08-2007 at 12:35 PM. Reason: fixing a broken link

Is the length of your cycle determined by counting the days between the first day of AF to next month's first day of AF?
    Almost. CD1 (cycle day 1) *is* the first day of AF. However, the last day of the cycle is actually the day before the next cycle's first day of AF....even if AF doesn't appear until the very end of the day. Make sense?

~ phen
    twinmama/cancer-slayer

To further my question in the other thread....

So when my books says I have a window "12 to 16 days before the last day of my last period" that's because unless you are temping then you don't know *exactly* when you ovulate. And if I take the 2WW (now i finally know what that means!!!), then I should wait from the last day of my "4 days"?

got married: 08/27/05
    had a girl: 10/05/06 - then a boy: 12/18/08
    and now another boy: 09/21/10

And if I take the 2WW (now i finally know what that means!!!), then I should wait from the last day of my "4 days"?
    I'm a little confused by your question. What do you mean by if you "take" the 2ww? And what are your "4 days"? Are you trying to figure out when is your last fertile day and when your 2ww starts?

Not "take" as in literal "take"...it was just a figure of speech
    So, if I were to time my 2 week wait, do I time it from the last day I was fertile?
    By 4 days I mean my window of opportunity during ovulation. I said that in my books it states that you are ovulating between 12 to 16 days before the last day of the your next period...therefore a 4 day window - that's because I'm not temping, so I don't know the *exact* date I ovulate.
    got married: 08/27/05
    had a girl: 10/05/06 - then a boy: 12/18/08
    and now another boy: 09/21/10

So when my books says I have a window "12 to 16 days before the last day of my last period" that's because unless you are temping then you don't know *exactly* when you ovulate. And if I take the 2WW (now i finally know what that means!!!), then I should wait from the last day of my "4 days"?
    I agree with Scooter that I don't understand your question. Wait from what last 4 days to do what? Anyway...I would put down any book that tells you your fertile period is 12 to 16 days before your period and quickly run away from it. That is the rythym method which is highly ineffective. The only book you need is "Taking Charge of Your Fertility" (TCOYF). Besides who in the hell knows when their next period is coming unless your cycles run like clockwork...which is incredibly rare. You seem very interesting in learning more about your body and you are open to that knowledge. You would be a great candidate for TTC w/ Charting!

Sorry...we cross posted!
    So, if I were to time my 2 week wait, do I time it from the last day I was fertile?
    Technically the 2ww begins the day after you ovulate. You have to know the day you ovulate to know *for sure* you are in the 2ww.
    By 4 days I mean my window of opportunity during ovulation.
    Unless you are doing OPKs or charting you have no real way of knowing when those 4 days are.

If you want you can post your general cycle history (how many days they've been) and what your cervical mucus has been like (have you had a snot-like discharge) and we may be able to help you more specifically.
    Last edited by Soulmate; 11-13-2005 at 01:55 PM.
    "It's so easy to laugh, it's so easy to hate, it takes guts to be gentle and kind" ~ The Smiths
    DS1 6.29.06 ~:~ DS2 10.7.10

I just wanted to add for everyone that some women have very regular 28/30 day cycles and do not ovulate at all (though not common). Others ovulate really early with a long LP (the time between ovulation and AF) while others ovulate really late with a short LP. For example, three women with regular 30 day cycles:

Woman A: Does not ovulate at all
    Woman B: O on CD14, LP = 16 days
    Woman C: O on CD21, LP = 9 days

So shooting blindly at an egg when you have no idea where it is will make the TTC journey so much longer (possibly) and more emotionally taxing.

If you are typically Type A and want things done right away then charting is the way to go...at least OPKs or a fertility monitor. If you are very laid back about the process and/or naturally have sex like bunnies then SWH (seeing what happens) is more your style.
    "It's so easy to laugh, it's so easy to hate, it takes guts to be gentle and kind" ~ The Smiths
    DS1 6.29.06 ~:~ DS2 10.7.10