Quantcast
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default The High Cholesterol Support Thread.

I thought I would start a thread on this since I didn't see any. If you or Dh have high cholesterol and are trying to lower it, welcome to this thread. Others are welcome as well.

My DH has high cholesterol again (at 237) and he's pretty upset about it. His parents both have high cholesterol so it might be hereditary. His doc told him he needs at least 30 mins of aerobic exercise daily, which neither of us have been doing except on weekends. We go hiking and biking on weekends and we were biking for a little bit when it was still light out after work. Now that its dark outside when we come home, what are our options before we go out buying a treadmill or elliptical? He works in a small office with no gym or showers so running during lunch isn't an option. I don't know if I should have him join a gym? He feels that he wouldn't use it.
    He does not need to lose weight since he is fairly thin already.
    If anyone here joined a gym, did it encourage you to work out?

I also know his eating habits need work. Does anyone know what kind of foods in addition to oatmeal are supposed to help with lowering cholesterol?
    I have to warn you that DH is an extremely picky eater, no fruits or veggies at all. He's tried but nearly gagged on them (something about not liking the texture), although he told me he will try salad again.
    If I want to introduce veggies, what would be good to start with?

Neither of us like fish, so that is probably out for now.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Annette; 11-11-2005 at 09:56 AM.

Hi Annette,

My DH had borderline high cholesterol earlier this year, I think his count was 220ish. With that I looked into what foods were good at lowering cholesterol. Like you it is hard for him to work out on a consistent basis, so we started with just changing his eating habits.

He does do the oatmeal every single day. It does get boring, but he doesn't mind it so much anymore (he's been doing this for 7 months now.) he does eat other things in addition to the oatmeal and sometimes the oatmeal is a side dish if we go out to eat for breakfast.

If your DH doesn't like oatmeal he can also eat plain cheerios as well. Fiber is really good at lowering cholesterol is what I have heard. The last change my DH did was start to take a supplement called policosanol. It is a natural derivitive of the sugar cane. I did the research on it and figured why not try it.

So, last month DH went back and had his level checked and he went down 54 points! I know this was just on him doing those 2 things. He didn't exercise consistently AT ALL. Hope this helps!
    Last edited by ginandchris; 11-17-2005 at 05:51 PM.
    Chris and Regina 5/22/2004
    Deborah Sara 4/12/2006

Thanks Gina! Wow 54 points! Thats great! My DH is hating his new diet already. He says he's always hungry now.

Sure not a problem. Glad I was able to help. I know it is a big change in lifestyle to adjust your eating habits, but your health is important. Just so you know my DH was skeptical about the policosanol, but now that he's seen the results in just 7 months he's convinced.
    Chris and Regina 5/22/2004
    Deborah Sara 4/12/2006

My Dh has high cholestrol as well as Diabetes.

Things we have done, just in food:

Switched to a lot more chicken. We use ground turkey or ground chicken in place of hamburger whenever possible. Or we get the lowest fat content of ground beef (93% lean ground serloin) and when we eat steak it HAS to be filet mignon (which is much more expensive but the leanest cut).

We use only fat free or 2% cheese.

We use only fat free salad dressing.

Oatmeal or high fiber content cerel.

Fat free sour cream.

Skim milk.

And believe it or not, lowering his sugar/startch intake also helped his cholestrol level. I could post those things, as well, if you like.

I'm 5'3" and 115 lbs and I have high cholesterol. Go figure! High cholesterol and triglycerides are hereditary in my family. My dad takes Lipidor (or did take it) and my sister and I are supposed to be tested annually. I go to the doctor next week and I'll get the paperwork to go get my test. Unfortunately I have awful eating habits and drink tons of pop.
    Last year my numbers were : (mmol/L):
    Triglycerides: 1.1-good
    LDL: 4.3-high
    HDL: 1.5-okay

They're down from the year before. I've been trying to exercise more, but I really need to eat better! Anyone have suggestions for healthy snacks that taste good?

I'm in the same situation that Leslie is. I'm 130 and 5'6" and I have extremely high cholesterol. The drs tell me that it is hereditary for me. So I took Lipitor for a couple of years and that drastically reduced my levels but now that I'm TTC I've stopped taking it (it can cause birth defects) and my levels have gone right back up. I'm also terrible at eating good foods. REALLY terrible! I love food and have the hardest time eating things that are healthy. I really need to get with the program though before I get pg because I'll need to work on my diet then for sure. I'll have to find my last blood work when I get home to share my levels. It's kind of embarassing how high they are but I'll share them anyway.

That supplement sure does seem to do the trick, Regina! Wow!
    Shanna and Jose ~ October 1, 1994

Today was day one of better eating. I barely snacked all day (this is big for me, since I snack constantly), and I only had one glass of Pepsi! Hopefully I can keep this up!

Can I join? I actually don't have high cholesterol anymore (currently at 174) but just over a year ago it was 227. How did I lower it? Well I think it was a combo of things, I have PCOS and my Dr started me on a new med for it and ever since then I've seen the numbers steadily fall but in combanation to the med I have stopped eating all sugar, refined flour, potatoes, and rice, I only eat whole grains now.

When my cholesterol was high, my problem was with the triglycerides, they where through the roof! Actaully they are still high but not by enough to effect the overall number.

The one thing that I haven't been able to do, is exercise, I just can't get motivated.
    Jason and Sarah
    Married: 5/15/2004

Baby Boy: 10/23/20007

And believe it or not, lowering his sugar/startch intake also helped his cholestrol level. I could post those things, as well, if you like.
    Really? Please share. DH seems to think that because his triglycerides are fine, its okay to have stuff with sugar in it. We eat starch often, I didn't realize it contributed to high cholesterol.

Odd, I haven't gotten the email notifications....

We did buy a bag of flax seeds. It contains omega 3 fatty acids and it also claims to reduce cholesterol, so we've been sprinkling the seeds on our food. Tastes pretty good. We found it in the organic food aisle at the grocery store. We also bought the smart balance butter alternative. We also eat oat cereal like cheerios or oatmeal squares or regular hot oatmeal. He has to be more consistent with it. Eating oatmeal for only a week is not going to help much. He tried eating salad again the other day but he had a lot of trouble eating it. We think its a mental block of some sort since he's never eaten salad in his life.

The one thing that I haven't been able to do, is exercise, I just can't get motivated.
    Same here!! I even belong to the gym at work, but when I am done with work, I just want to go home. We'll go out on weekends for hiking or biking, but during the week its hard cause it gets dark so early. We're thinking of getting a treadmill. Anyone have one? Any recommendations?