Quantcast
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default 'Intelligent design' victory in Kansas

From CNN:

TOPEKA, Kansas (AP) -- At the risk of re-igniting the same heated nationwide debate it sparked six years ago, the Kansas Board of Education approved new public school science standards Tuesday that cast doubt on the theory of evolution.

The 6-4 vote was a victory for "intelligent design" advocates who helped draft the standards. Intelligent design holds that the universe is so complex that it must have been created by a higher power. Rest of article here

The scariest part to me is where the school board "rewrote" the definition of science.

I, too, am beyond disturbed that the Kansas Board of Education has re-written the definition of science!

In addition, the board rewrote the definition of science, so that it is no longer limited to the search for natural explanations of phenomena.
    But that is what science is! Should we re-write the definition of history so that it is no longer limited to factual accounts of past events and cultures? I mean history can get pretty unpleasant at times -- perhaps teaching fictional accounts that leave out all the gore and violence and nastiness would make students less likely to question their faith.

Quote Originally Posted by amew
    Should we re-write the definition of history so that it is no longer limited to factual accounts of past events and cultures? I mean history can get pretty unpleasant at times -- perhaps teaching fictional accounts that leave out all the gore and violence and nastiness would make students less likely to question their faith.
    Well put.

All I can say, is "What the hell is going on in Kansas?" It's like the twilight zone or something.

xxx
    Last edited by emmjay; 01-05-2012 at 07:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MLA
    All I can say, is "What the hell is going on in Kansas?"
    Good question. Kansas has made me scratch my head more than once. The Matthew Limon case is another one that just makes me wonder if there is something in the water in Kansas.
    In February of 2000, Limon and another male teenager were both students at the same residential school for developmentally disabled youth in Miami County, Kansas. A week after Limon’s 18th birthday, he performed consensual oral sex on the other teenager, who was nearly 15 years old – three years, one month and a few days younger. Because Kansas’s so-called “Romeo and Juliet” law gives much lighter sentences to heterosexual teenagers who have sex with younger teens but specifically excludes gay teenagers, Limon was sentenced to 17 years in prison. A heterosexual teenager with the same record would serve no longer than 15 months for the same offense.
    (The conviction was overturned recently by the state SC, but the guy served over 4 years in prision by that time.)
    Last edited by SingleWhiteFemale; 11-09-2005 at 04:25 AM.
    If you voted Bush a yellow ribbon won't make up for it.
    It's not about being a Democrat and losing an election. It's about being an American and losing our rights.

OMG! How can they do that? What a scary precedent.

A little bit of good news...
    Dover Pennsylvania booted off all 8 school board members that were "Intelligent Design" wackos up for re-election. Too bad they can't do that in Kansas.

Sophia Guest

I just saw that about Pennsylvania!

CNN story here

I am a teacher, and I live in Kansas. This has a HOT topic the last four/five years. They are saying that teachers will have the decision to teach either way, BUT on the standerized tests the students more than likely will be tested on the new Intelligent Design. Test scores will be down, and then schools will not receive any money.
    The School Board here has gotten real screwy this last year.

Quote Originally Posted by kugrrly
    I am a teacher, and I live in Kansas. This has a HOT topic the last four/five years. They are saying that teachers will have the decision to teach either way, BUT on the standerized tests the students more than likely will be tested on the new Intelligent Design. Test scores will be down, and then schools will not receive any money.
    The School Board here has gotten real screwy this last year.
    Boy, you must feel as though you are being pulled in two directions! I do not envy you.

Yea it is a HUGE mess!!!!

I teach in elementary, so it does not effect me as much. I know in the upper grades the teachers are FURIOUS! I have heard some high school science teachers are going to retire after this year due to the change.