Quantcast

Default Charlotte vs. Raleigh?

My FH and I are considering relocating to NC. We know we would like to be in the suburb of a major city. Which would you all suggest, Charlotte or Raleigh??

We would like to have low housing costs, a nice neigborhood, and friendly people.
    Kristen & Jason 5/19/06
    Our Peanut has arrived 5/20/09
    Our Bean has arrived 11/30/11

I think it depends on what kind of work you do. If either of you work in the IT field, I think there would be no question about going to RTP (Research Triangle Park, which would be Raleigh/Durham). Same with medicine for Durham. As for other industries, maybe Charlotte would be a good area. The NC ladies thread might be a good place to start with your questions.
    May those who love us love us. And for those who don't, may God turn their hearts. And if not, may God turn their ankles so we'll know them by their limping.

My FH is in the IT field and I will be looking for a job as a college professor.
    Kristen & Jason 5/19/06

I would definitely look into the RTP area. This is where you'll find IBM, Nextel, Sun Microsystems, along with a thousand other lesser-known places that pay very well for the area. There is definitely lots of hiring going on in the IT field at this point. Also, we have Duke, NC State and UNC all within a 20 mile radius (not to mention smaller colleges). We live in Durham, about 2 minutes from IBM, right near Brier Creek in Raleigh. I know a lot of people who go or work at the colleges live in Carrboro. If you need help, feel free to PM me.

Incidentally, my DH just asked "Is he good? Cuz we're hiring" (in Chapel Hill) - see? They're giving jobs away!
    May those who love us love us. And for those who don't, may God turn their hearts. And if not, may God turn their ankles so we'll know them by their limping.

I lived in Charlotte and there aren't a lot of colleges in the area. I hated Charlotte so I'm biased, but I'd pick Raleigh or Durham over Charlotte. There's more business, lots of computer industry, and more schools in the area.

Thanks girls for all the tips.....I really appreciate it. Any other recommendations would be great!

it is very difficult for recent PhD recipients to move to a particular location first and then try to find a professorship.
    Yes, I do know that. FH's job is the priority though, because we will most likely be starting a family right after we move and Im hoping to be SAHM. But it doesnt hurt to be near a few colleges just in case.
    Kristen & Jason 5/19/06

I live in a small town about half an hour away from Durham and love it. It's a great area jobwise.

I work in RTP (live in Cary, which is right outside Raleigh). Another company that is good to work for in this area is Cisco Systems. As far as housing goes this is a pretty good area to live. If your husband is going to work in RTP you guys could probably live in several different places and it would still be easy for him to get to work. I live in Cary and it takes me about 30 minutes to get to work. Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary, Apex, Holly Springs and Fuquay Varina are just a few of the places you could live if you wanted to work in RTP. As a previous poster mentioned we have NC State (DH and I are NC State grads), UNC, Duke, Meredith College and some smaller schools in this area.

If you want to live near colleges than Raleigh is a good place.

I used to live in Cary and Apex (suburbs of Raleigh), its a nice area. I'm hoping to move back sometime in the next few years (I still have family there). The cost of living is reasonable, you're not too far from the beach or the mountains. Great place!
    Joseph Andrew, 3/16/06
    Benjamin Alexander, 3/7/08
    Henry Adam, 6/10/11

Giving this another bump... DH and I have the opportunity to move and are interested in the Raleigh/Durham area.

We are New Yorkers, who transplanted to Oregon a few years ago. We are now looking to come back east, and have set our sights on NC.

I am a musician/music teacher who is currently a SAHM, but DH works as an electrical engineer. He is currently employed (and is home office, but travels for his job), but would look to change jobs in the future. Is the job market in that area still strong enough to move towards it with no set job in mind? And what about the arts/music/culture in the area?

Portland is a pretty "progressive" city, so I guess I would like to live in a place similar to that. Will I find what I am looking for in this area?

Thanks!
    James & Jennifer - 12.18.04 ~~ Little Man - July 2006 ~~ Big Little Sister - April 2009 ~~ Little Dude - May 2011; my Mother's Day gift!