View Full Version : Your daily routine - how long?

06-29-2005, 06:40 PM
I have been curious about this for quite awhile, especially after reading some of the "how much make up do you wear", etc. threads. ;) I consider myself a fairly low maintenance person, but it still takes me 1 hour to get ready for work every morning. This is 75% due to the fact that I am not.a.morning.person, so it takes me a good 15-20 minutes to wake up before I can even start my routine. That gives me 40 minutes (on a bad day, 30) to do everything else, from shower to walking out the door.

Our alarm goes off at 6:00 a.m. I lie in bed for about 4 minutes (b/c the snooze is only 5 minutes), and then I stumble toward the bathroom. I would say I take long showers; they are about 10-15 minutes or so. In that time, I wash my hair, wash my body, shave if needed, use my face cleanser, and stand around under the hot, hot water a lot. By the time I get out of the shower, towel off, and put toner on my face, it is 6:30 on a good day, or 6:40 (or lately 6:45!) on a bad day. Next up: pick out clothes. If I have it together or if I have something new to wear, I've already planned out my outfit while in the shower. If not, all bets are off.

Essentially I can do everything else - get dressed, towel dry hair, apply moisturizer to my face, put in hair product (2-3 depending on the day/weather), brush my teeth, put on my deodorant & perfume, and put on all of my make up (powder, blush, 2-3 eyeshadows, mascara, chapstick, lipgloss/stick) in 10-15 minutes. I do leave the house w/ my hair still wet, so I know I have a leg up over people who blowdry.

My husband acts like I take the longest of any person on earth to get ready, so I'm just wondering what the 'average' person does. FWIW, if it isn't first thing in the morning, I can go from not showered to out the door in 30 minutes - it's really the early morning / waking up that bogs me down. I'm not really looking for a way to 'streamline' my process, I'm really just wondering what other people do.

So, what is your daily routine and how long does it take you?

06-29-2005, 06:50 PM
Would it be horrible for me to admit that I have woken up at five minutes to eight and dragged myself into my office (across the hallway) in my nightgown and started working?

When I'm REALLY getting ready to do something, though, it only takes me about 20 minutes. I grew up in a Navy family, and showers were limited to five minutes... and we WERE timed!! Rinse, soap, rinse, shampoo, rinse. Some habits are hard to break!! I don't generally blow-dry my hair, so it's towel dry, get dressed and brush my teeth. I rarely wear makeup, so it's a cinch!! If I'm going out and it's too cold to go with a wet head, add 15 minutes to dry hair.

06-29-2005, 07:46 PM
My get ready routine varies a lot.

During the school year, I usually shower and blowdry the night before because I can't seem to drag my but out of bed in the mornings. When I do this, I set the alarm for 6:30 and then snooze it until the last possible minute. Then I throw clothes on, make my lunch, and rush out the door at about 7 (7:15 if it's a bad day). I am also one of those obnoxious drivers who puts makeup on in the car ;) (powder, eyeshadow, eyeliner, mascara, lip stick/gloss).

When I am at home and have to get ready with the whole routine, it takes me about 45 minutes. I take looooong showers...15 minutes is pretty short for me. (I have tried to shave that down some because FH complains about that.) Once I am done showering though, it doesn't take me long. I blowdry my hair, put on makeup, and put clothes on.

I don't think an hour is too long to get ready...I'm a woman. I do, however, pick on my mom because she can take 3 hours to get ready for work (or whatever). I think that is WAY too long!

06-29-2005, 07:50 PM
I think 30 minutes start to finish not straight out of bed sounds pretty good.

If I shower in the morning, it probably takes me 35-45 minutes to get out the door, and that includes a comfortably-paced breakfast. Breakfast includes a latte, so that helps. ;)

I'm a morning person, though, and don't usually wear makeup. I can get ready to go in 10 minutes (no breakfast) if I had a shower the night before (the only perk of boring stubbornly-straight hair is being able to shower at night). Also, I do dry my hair in the morning, but it's really dry here, so it only takes 4-5 minutes tops. If I'm showering in to get ready to go out & doing thewhole makeup thing, it takes me at least 30 minutes.

Are you a coffee drinker? If so, maybe your hubby needs to get you a bedside espresso machine. :)

06-29-2005, 08:14 PM
I'm not a morning person either. But I wake up about 20 minutes before I really need to otherwise if I have to rush around, I will be in an awful mood the rest of the day.

I shower and straighten my hair the night before. If I leave it curly, I just slick it back into a ponytail in the morning. This hair thing the night before saves me a good 30 minutes.

5.50am, wake up, must lay in bed at least 5 minutes to take the morning in. Go to the bathroom, brush my teeth, wash my face. Makeup includes: moisturizer, concealer, eyebrows, a little something on my eyes if I'm not too tired and blush. This takes about 10 minutes. Quick run with the iron on my hair or pull it back, takes about 5 minutes. I try to make a mental note the night before of what I'm going to wear, that way all I have to do is throw it on.

I like to take breakfast to go...so I'll either make something and put it in a tupperware or get something at Starbucks. I don't like to sit around eating so early because I'll get moody and prefer to be in bed. The sooner I'm out the door, the closer I am to the day being over. That's pretty much my mentality in the morning.

TX Sweetheart
06-29-2005, 09:53 PM
I *have* to get up when the alarm goes off or I won't get up at all... so... thinking about my schedule for fall (going to school...)
Get up 6AM (I do this every morning anyway to unlock the door for hubby who works nights)
Shower (5-10 mins, depending on shaving status)
Get dressed (5 mins tops)
Make-up (5 mins)
Breakfast on the go
Hair pulled up in messy bun/ponytail on the go...

So that's at the most 20 mins it *should* take me to get ready... which is good because DH is considerably slower than I am, especially if he's just come home from work and then has to drive me to school (I don't drive, yet)...

06-30-2005, 06:57 AM
Alarm goes off at 6:30 a.m.

I get up immediatly, no joke, and jump in the shower. I take about 20-25 min showers so I am out by 6:50-ish.

Brush my teeth, floss, apply toner then moisturizer. Then I go wake up SO.

He gets in the shower while I do my makeup and hair. I am usually done with that by 7:25-ish.

Then I make the bed, make my lunch, watch some news and the finally pick out my outfit, get dressed and I am out the door by 8:00 a.m.

06-30-2005, 07:19 AM
i'm horrible at getting up. my alarm goes off at 7:11am, and i usually get up around 7:45am. I take showers at night, but still have to run the blow dryer through my hair to finish drying it. It takes me 15 mins to get ready which includes: washing face, brushing teeth, very minimal make up, hair, clothes and standing around in a daze. Then, I eat breakfast and am out the door by 8:10am. However, I look HORRIBLE at work. I can't do anything social right after work unless I get up around 7:15am-7:30am and actually try. Even then it is nasty, I just get really greasy and my hair is icky at my job. I work in a lab though, so I'm always working w/ gross stuff. To go out at night w/ shower, nice make up and blow drying my hair it takes me 45min-1hour.

06-30-2005, 09:15 AM
Mine is pretty quick, probably because I let my hair air dry as well:

6:45 - alarm goes off, get in shower
7:00 - out of shower, put on deodorant, moisturizer, mascara and hair product, get dressed
7:10 - start coffee maker, eat cereal
7:20 - put coffee in thermos, fill up water bottle
7:22 - out the door
7:30 - arrive at work!

06-30-2005, 10:21 AM
Here is my daily routine:
6:05 am - alarm goes off, snooze alarm :p
6:25 am - really get up this time, shower
6:35 am - get dressed
6:45 am - do hair
6:50 am - out the door
7:35 am - get to work (I eat breakfast at work)

So I guess that means it takes me about 25 mins to get ready for work! :eek: But mind you, I get my clothes and lunch ready the night before, so everything is sitting and waiting for me to get up and go. I am VERY low maintanance.

06-30-2005, 10:24 AM
I take about 45 minutes from wake-up to showered & ready. My hair is so thick that it takes freaking forever to air dry, so I have to blow dry it. Luckily, my hair's pretty short, so it doesn't take too long. If I wear makeup, I spend about 5 minutes on it. I could spend a little time on this whole process, but I refuse to wake up any earlier than I already have to.

If I'm doing something special or going out, I usually take about an hour.

06-30-2005, 01:08 PM
I let my hair air-dry and I put on makeup in my car (bad, I know) so usually my getting-ready routine on a work day consists of a shower, shampoo/conditioner every other day, then a few good minutes staring into my closet cooking up the day's ensemble. About 30 mins total probably but I can do it in 15 if I have to.

06-30-2005, 01:59 PM
This summer I've been getting up at 6am and leave the house by 8:30 (work is 5 minutes away). BUT...I have to justify this because I run in the morning and I like to take my time with breakfast, stretching and getting ready. Here's my rough timeline.

6:00am alarm goes off
6:05 get out of bed & make bed, use the bathroom
6:15 make lunch & get ready to run, turn on computer
6:30 DH and I are out the door for our morning run
7:15 (approx, depending on length of run) stretch
7:35 breakfast
7:55 shower
8:05 get dressed, blow dry & straight iron hair if time, moisturizer, makeup, etc.
8:30 out the door

06-30-2005, 02:27 PM
I am probably the world's slowest person in the morning. I usually take about 1.5 hours, up to 2 hours. It takes me a while to dry and straighten my hair. I also wear a full face of make-up most days. I work pretty flexible hours, but have a few times a week, I have a 7am meeting. If I have a 7am meeting, I am ready in an hour. If I don't have a morning meeting it takes me 1.5 hours, which is as follows:

5:45 - Alarm goes off
6am - out of bed and immediately in shower
6:15 -6:20 - get out of shower
6:20 - 6:50 - dry and style hair, make-up, etc.
6:50 - 7:15 - make bed, pick outfit and iron if I need to, I usually am watching the first few minutes of the Today show, so that slows me down
7:15 - 7:30 - breakfast and read a little bit of the paper
7:30 - 7:45, 8ish - brush teeth, pack lunch, let dog out and any other last minute things I think of as I'm leaving the house

06-30-2005, 06:56 PM
After reading the post i feel like i take no time at all. I have mastered the art of taking my shower/washing my hair/shaving at night so i dont have to be bothered in the morning. I normally hit the snooze button for a good 30 minute (on a good day) or so starting at like 4:44 . then i get outta the bed and stumble to the bathroom and wash up, brush my teeth, put on deo, then go find clothes (this part takes forever) after im dressed i put on my purfume and make up(if i wear it, normally dont) and put on my shoes. i go find something to eat and start bitching about the other people in the house. I'm normally out of the door by 6 at the latest. normally closer to 5:45.