View Full Version : Tanning Lotion -- Worth the money or Waste of money?

09-26-2005, 09:12 PM
Please don't bother with the lecture about tanning. I know it is bad for my skin and I know I should be happy with my natural skin tone and true beauty is on the inside and yadda yadda yadda -- I don't want to look flourescent in my purple bridesmaid dress!

Every time I go to the tanning salon, they try to sell me tanning lotion. I always wonder if the stuff really does something great, or if it's just a useless "add-on" sale.

Anyone here know?

09-27-2005, 05:25 AM
I never noticed a huge difference when using tanning products with the tanning bed. If I used tanning lotion when laying out in the sun, I always got a lot more tan but it didn't work for me in the beds.

For some reason, which I guess I don't know, I never got as tan using the beds no matter what. I would get a little darker and then just stay at that color. Natural sunlight, on the other hand, would allow me to get very, very dark and I'm pretty fair.

09-27-2005, 06:04 AM
Go to iamtan.com, they have alot of info about cheaper lotions, reviews, etc. I think they are over priced, but you have to use something to keep your skin moist. Whatever you use make sure there is no mineral oil in it, that will ruin the acrylic on the tanning beds. Make sure you moisturize after too.

09-27-2005, 08:10 AM
I would avoid the bronzers they try to sell you. That's what gives some tanners that orange look. I usually use something cheap w/ cocoa butter or hemp in it, but it's to keep my skin mousterized. I noticed drama queen works for me and you can use it outside as well.

09-27-2005, 08:35 AM
I used to think like you and never used lotions when I tanned. Then one day I tried a sample and was amazed and the difference. In my experience the lotions made the tan deeper and last longer. I think I used "Drama Queen" as well. I think it would also depend on your skin type though

09-27-2005, 08:55 AM
I think I get more tan when I use a lotion, but I can't use the tingle ones. They make my skin burn like crazy. Not like sunburn but just like super iritated skin.

09-27-2005, 09:16 AM
I definitely noticed a difference using lotion at the tanning salon! They help to keep your skin moisturized, which is critical when you tan using a bed. Also, the lotions definitely will help to sustain your tan longer. I know the cost of the lotion at the salons is prohibitive, which is why one day I decided to look on ebay for lotions. Lo and behold, I found every single lotion on ebay that they sell at the salon, all of them for less than half of the price. I remember one in particular cost $52.00 at the salon and I found it on ebay for $16.00! Here is a link for you to check it out:

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?cgiurl=http%3A%2F%2Fcgi.ebay.com%2Fws%2 F&fkr=1&from=R8&satitle=tanning+lotion&category0=

09-27-2005, 09:44 AM
I agree - I think they do make a difference. I also agree with HEW?B - Be careful if you have sensitive skin of the lotions with a tingle. They gave my skin a really painful burning sensation when I went in with it!

09-27-2005, 09:59 AM
I also agree w/ the tingling and cooling lotions. My friend has tried both and they have given her a rash, and she tans pretty regularly. I just don't trust them.

09-27-2005, 12:08 PM
I also agree w/ the tingling and cooling lotions. My friend has tried both and they have given her a rash, and she tans pretty regularly. I just don't trust them.

Yeah, if you have sensitive skin, the 'tingle' lotions can be pretty rough on you. I used it about a week into tanning and barely had a base tan at that point. It burned terribly while I was in the bed and when I got out, my entire body was fire-engine red. The redness went away overnight, but I discontinued using the tingle till I had more of a base tan. When I went back to using it, I had the same reaction again the first time, but then not any more after that.

c'est la vie
01-17-2007, 12:25 PM
Hi ladies!
I'll just jump into this thread and ask you ladies that use tanning beds/booths if any of you have tried the high pressure tanning booths and what is your opinion on it.
It's supposed to be not 'as bad' as low pressure beds and I read that it gives you a faster base tan ( 4-5 sessions) and deeper, long lasting tan.
Has any one tried it yet?

01-17-2007, 05:48 PM
I have used the high pressure tanning beds. It definitely gives a much faster base tan, and the time in the bed is much shorter. The last time I went was about 2 weeks ago, and while I don't look like I just went to the beach, I am not that winter pasty white color, just a nice light tan, which is perfect for winter. DH and I are friends with the owner of the shop.

01-18-2007, 06:27 AM
I've used lotion a few times and I've never noticed a big difference. One reason I didn't like using is because I hated getting all greased up then putting my clothes back on. It's so expensive, but I'll have to check out Ebay like jimmysgirl suggested.

Is this rumor true: I've always heard not to take a shower for atleast an hour after tanning to increase your tan.

01-18-2007, 09:05 AM
Is this rumor true: I've always heard not to take a shower for atleast an hour after tanning to increase your tan.

Its absolutely true. If you take a shower, you are basically neutralizing the effects of the tanning bed. I have a girlfriend who is addicted to tanning, goes year-round, several times a week and she is the one who instructed me on this particular subject. No showers. The best thing to do is to use an after-tanner, it is very refreshing and takes away the yucky stickiness you get after you climb out of the bed. I always use the hemp-based kind and love it.

01-18-2007, 11:07 AM
Kym: so how long do you wait before showering? 1 hour? 2 hours?

01-18-2007, 01:23 PM
RE: Tanning lotions.

I tan during the early spring and have used Ocean Potion Indoor Tanning Spray (Walmart - around $5) and it works just as great as the other stuff. I just don't see enough difference between a $5 spray and a $45 product the tanning salon tries to sell me.

As for showering, I usually don't shower for a few hours after tanning. I normally go after work, and take a shower before going to bed - so sometimes it's up to 4-6 hours after tanning. I use an after tan lotion some of the time, but I've never felt really sticky after coming out of the bed.

01-18-2007, 01:56 PM
Kym: so how long do you wait before showering? 1 hour? 2 hours?

Well, actually my friend is very anal about it and when I was tanning for my wedding, she said nothing less than three hours.

I would wait a minimum of two.

01-18-2007, 02:46 PM
I use a lotion from the tanning salon when I go, but I bought the cheapest one (about $25). I think it's called Coco Beach (it's a brown bottle with a cartoon tarzan on the front). I like how smooth the lotion leaves my skin and I love the smell. At my last job I went a few times on my lunch break and loved having the lingering smell later in the day (made me feel warm when it was freezing cold).

01-18-2007, 08:24 PM
I used to think lotions were a load of crap.

Until I bought some.

I can't believe I ever got tan without them!!!

I've bought cheap(er) lotions and more expensive ones. I have to say, I have always thought the more expensive ones worked much much better. Tanning is super expensive around here, so even if the lotions are expensive, you definitely can make your tan last a lot longer, meaning you don't have to tan as much. They are also good for keeping a tan, so if you're time crunched, it's a good way to go.

Definitely stay away from tingles or cooling ones, esp. if you have sensitive skin. (I tried one with a tingle factor of "10" once and I swelled up like a balloon. . . on my hand where I rubbed it!!)

As for the high powered beds--LOVE them!! Again, you don't have to go as much or for as long. . . and usually they have more UVA rays instead of UVB (A=aging, because they go deeper into the skin, B=burning, stays on surface and cay fry ya!).

01-18-2007, 11:30 PM
I've never used the tanning lotions. I tan pretty well without them so I figure why spend the money? I put lotion on everyday and exfolliate my body at least once per week, so IMO my skin is in really good "tanning" condition. I've never used the high pressure tanning beds. The showering after the tanning. I'd always thought that was a myth. I usually get up and go to the gym in the morning, then tan, then come home and immediately shower. I've never noticed any adverse effects.

Hello Kitty
09-11-2007, 11:33 AM