View Full Version : What do you keep your jewelry in?

09-19-2005, 04:57 PM
My current jewelry chest is pretty small. I'm finally starting to get a larger collection of earrings and necklaces, so now my problem is figuring out how to organize them all. With jewelry, if it's out of sight, it is out of mind for me (I forget what I have if I can't see it easily), so I need something that allows me to browse my entire collection.

Anyone recommend anything? How do you keep your jewelry?

09-20-2005, 06:40 AM
After having many jewerly boxes each with little compartments and drawers, I now use ice cube trays. They are perfect for organizing earings, rings, necklaces, and bracelets. It is easy to see everything at once. There are only a few necklaces that are too bulky for the trays, so I store those on hooks.

09-20-2005, 07:14 AM
This won't help your "if I can't see if I forget about it" prob. but I use a jewelry armoire
Not this particular one but something similar:

09-20-2005, 08:00 AM
Kinetic - LOL! Ice cube trays is a very clever idea! Very cheap, too, which I like! :D

celicacutie81 - That jewelry armoire is very cool! I've actually been thinking of getting something similar, but haven't really seen them in stores now that I've been looking. By out of sight, I meant more by having them in different locations (like right now I have a lot of my jewelry in different random boxes within another box, and I'm too lazy to open each box to see what's in there - if that makes sense). This one looks like it holds a lot. Where did you get yours?

09-20-2005, 08:07 AM
oh man...I've had mine ever since I was little. It was an X-mas gift. I think I have had mine for at least 15 or so years.

they sell them everywhere.....especially around the holidays. I've even seen them at K-Mart.

09-20-2005, 04:48 PM
This is a great thread, as I am having the same problem. I'm thinking of putting nails in my closet for my chunky necklaces, which don't fit in my jewelry box. Trashy? Maybe, but effective I think! :)

09-20-2005, 05:15 PM
I keep my jewelry scattered on just about every surface in my house (I take earrings off and leave them wherever I am), so nails in the closet would be a step up for me :).

dana b
09-20-2005, 06:16 PM
a friend of mine recently made something that works well for her, i may try it myself since i've been searching for some kind of set up for my jewelry for years.
i *think* this is what she did if i recall correctly. she bought a large, nice-looking frame, took out the glass and added a layer of cork, spray glued some fabric on there and then used those long stick pins to attach everything to it.

09-21-2005, 09:09 AM
i have always wanted to make an earring holder out of framed chicken wire, as most of my earrings are dangling shepherd's hook style... but haven't gotten around to doing it.

another great option of necklaces is to simply hang hooks, in a closet...or on a wall near your dresser.

someday i would love to have a "nice" jewelry box, but for now i've been using two very large old ones, the Lady Buxton. i don't think they make them anymore & it's a bit ridiculous looking (gold, lined with gold velvet) but it has so many drawers!

it looks sort of like this...

they are usually available on ebay, some nicer than others.

09-21-2005, 09:22 AM
just to add, the inside of the jewelry armoire has hooks to hang necklaces and stuff

here is a google photo:

I always see people make/create their own jewelry storage (on design shows) but it always seems cluttered, IMO. I need all my stuff put away organized and then be able to close the door so I don't see the stuff, ya know? I do like the corkboard idea for earrings but it just seems like when your jewelry is out in the open it will get dusty and perhaps tarnish.