View Full Version : Self Waxing

09-19-2005, 01:04 PM
Does any self-wax their lip or eyebrows? I am trying to save money, and I just wanted to know what people thought about doing this.

I think maybe the lip will be easier? I bought some cream hair remover for my lip, and I tried it on Thursday night. Today, I can actually feel some 'stubble'. It is blond and not really coarse, but I never noticed that when I was getting waxed.

I am tweazing my browline now, but I'm afraid that I'm going to lose the 'line' that was created when waxing before or even over plucking as I've gotten waxed on my eyebrows for like 5 years.

Any recommendations, tips, etc, would be fabulous! I have really sensitive skin and am on Retin-A micro, so I'm really worried about all of this. However, I had cut back to getting both waxed every 8 weeks, then just my lip every 4 or so, which is spending $25 every like 8 weeks plus $12 in between. If this is the better option though, I'll just stay with it.

09-19-2005, 01:29 PM
I don't wax my upper lip (afraid of the pain) but just started using Nair's No Touch lip cream. It's like $4-5 a tube. You apply it to your upper lip and leave it on for 10min, then wipe/wash it off. It's lasted several weeks for me. I have sensitive skin too and I didn't have problems w/ this afterwards.

09-19-2005, 01:47 PM
I self-wax my brows and upper lip. I use the Sally Hansen ones and heat them up with my blowdrier. They work great!

09-19-2005, 01:50 PM
I used to use the lotions/creams for my upper lip, but too many times I managed to "burn" myself. After that I went to cold wax strips. It's not too painful (I don't think I pull it off as quickly as they do), and it's super cheap. But...it doesn't work AS WELL as pro-waxing. So, I tend to only use the cold wax strips (warmed in my hands first) in between pro-wax. Also, I tend to usually get my lip done at the nail salon for $5 over the $12+ at the waxing salon or spas.

As for my brows, I tend to get waxed about every 6-10 weeks. I tweeze (leaving the actual arch alone as much as possible as I've screwed it up enough times in my 20+ years of tweezing) in between. It's worked for me.

09-19-2005, 03:11 PM
I self-wax my lip. I use a sugar-based wax, which is great because the residue washes off and it's not as irritating as other waxes. I don't do my eyebrows because I don't trust myself - I tweeze instead (of course, I overtweeze half the time, so I should probably just drop the cash for a waxing, but oh well).

09-19-2005, 06:09 PM
I self wax! I do my eyebrows every other week (sometimes every week- brows are almost black and I had the bushy unibrow thing all my life). It was a big stretch to wait every 3 weeks when I went to a salon but the $12 every time was not helping my budget! I use the Poetic Waxing Kit and think it is awesome (you don't need strips!). It is a lot less painful than traditional waxing in my opinion. It is a bit expensive ($40) but it comes with everything you need and mine has paid for itself twice so far and I still have a ton of wax left.

09-20-2005, 08:04 AM
Thanks for the advice. I'm glad I'm not the only one who is trying to find the perfect save money while looking good formula for waxing!!

I will look into the Sally Hansen, and if I can successfully do it, then I might try the more expensive kit that Brandy suggested. I am just floored by the amount of 'stubble' I have on my upper lip from that cream I used last week. I am the only one who can see it when I get close in the mirror, but that is too much for me!

11-08-2005, 09:44 AM
So, I got some of the Nair Strips at Target. The first time I used them it did remove the hair no problem, but I had some areas especially right above my lip that did get clean. I tried to do the quick re-stick to those areas and removed a bit of top layer skin. No biggie ~ that happens at the salon occasionally.

However, I broke out SO bad for weeks on my upper lip. Much worse that I ever have w/ pro-waxing, and I mean, it went on for like a month! So, I was scared to do it again, but finally decided last night that I would just do it.

Unfortunately, I didn't read the instructions again, so I missed that I wasn't supposed to do it after taking a shower. So, maybe that's what caused what happened?

~ I warmed it up in my hands and put it on the first side of my lip: It didn't remove the hair - at all! So, I rewarmed and put it on the other side of my lip making sure I was putting it on in the direction of hair growth: It removed a small patch. Then, I was so irritated that I tried to do a small section that didn't get covered in the second waxing, and it took a large section of top layer skin off. As well as, when I did the middle area it took off 3 places of skin.

WTF! It shouldn't be this hard. What am I doing wrong? Am I supposed to be pretreating the area or anything. Does Nair just suck or something? Should I just tell DH that I am being pro-waxed, and damnit, we are just going to have to work it into our spending

11-08-2005, 10:07 AM
Eek. Sorry that happened to you. Do you normally have sensitive skin? I've never used the Nair strips, but I do like the Sally Hansen Cold Wax strips. I find that they do a pretty good job. I know they say the strips can be reused after they touch the skin, but I haven't found that to be the case. If it didn't pull off all the hair, I usually warm another strip. The Sally Hansen stuff also comes with some soothing oil to apply after use, which helps with irritation.

I would much rather have professional waxing, but I can't see spending $12 for the upper lip. I do get my brows professionally done though. I'm too scared to try it on my own.