View Full Version : Hair coloring tips?

06-25-2005, 02:35 PM
Hello, I have always had my hair highlighted/dyed in a professional setting but right now it's not an option for me. I bought Garnier Nutrisse hair color. I'm trying to build up the courage to actually do it myself. Does anyone have any suggestions or tips? Thanks!!! :)

06-25-2005, 02:55 PM
Just to let you know, the store bought hair color will not color your previously salon dyed hair. I found this out the hard way by trying to dye mine. Then I called the hair color companies and they said that the formulas aren't strong enough, so it will only color your natural hair.

06-25-2005, 02:59 PM
I haven't colored my hair since Feb of this year. Hmm...thanks for the info.

Baby Lust
06-25-2005, 10:05 PM
Did you get a cap and hook kit or a paint-on style or another kind?

One thing I have found with the paint-on is my roots get super-light, and the rest of my hair gets colored normally. Strange.

What color are you doing and what color are you naturally?

06-25-2005, 10:53 PM
It comes with a squeeze bottle. It says massage it with your fingertips. The color is called Champagne blonde. My natural hair color is dark blonde/light brown.

I'm beginning to question if I should do this or not. I don't know what's worse...if it turns out horrible and I have to pay a pro to fix it or dealing with my roots.

Baby Lust
06-25-2005, 11:02 PM
I think you should be ok to do it. I do my own all the time, and it has always turned out fine! The at-home products are so good now, it is pretty hard to mess it up! :p

Good luck! Be brave, little squirrell! :D

06-25-2005, 11:12 PM
I just colored my hair this week. Simple and easy and did it by myself with the kit.

I am going to put in some highlights later on!

06-26-2005, 10:43 AM
Has anyone had any allergic reactions to any of the hair coloring kits? It says do a test and wait 48 hours. I really only have time to do the coloring on the weekends b/c during the week I'm so tired from work. I would love to do it today but I'm afraid I will have a reaction.

Baby Lust
06-26-2005, 10:47 AM
I have never had a reaction, nor have I ever done the allergy test. I think you will be fine as long as you don't have super-sensitive skin. Do you use toner on your face or anything? If you don't have to use the "sensitive" kind, you will be fine.

Good luck! Do we get before and after pics? :D

06-26-2005, 10:49 AM
I've never done an allergy test and never had a problem. However as Baby Lust mentioned if you have really sensitive skin you probably will want to do one.

06-26-2005, 11:12 AM
I had a reaction to the hair dye, but I have SUPER, SUPER sensitive skin. My skin in so sensitive that I'm having trouble finding shampoo that I'm not allergic to. They changed the formula for my old shampoo, so it longer works for me. I have about 25 bottles of partially used shampoo and conditioner that I can't use!

06-26-2005, 11:41 AM
Yes I do have sensitive skin. I think I will do the allergy test. Thanks for all of your advice and tips!!!

07-01-2005, 01:21 PM
I have a highlight question.

If you've already got highlights, and you want to touch-up your roots, how do you just highlight the roots and not the rest of the already-highlighted hair? It just seems that if you didn't confine the touch-up highlighting to the roots, after a few times the ends of your hair would be white!

Baby Lust
07-03-2005, 08:23 PM
Nicole, I have never tried it, but I heard if you use that new Root Touch-Up on the highlights, it is supposed to work really good. But like I said, I have never trued it, but it might be an option! Good luck!

07-05-2005, 06:51 PM
I still haven't done anything yet. I did look at having it done in a salon. Right now money is tight but I saw that The New York Institute has students available for make overs, facials, waxing, highlights, cuts, and anything else you might want done. I'm going to see in the NYC section if anyone has any experience with that program. The price was pretty cheap. I'll update when I know something.