View Full Version : I just bought a pair of size 16 jeans am traumatized

09-08-2005, 08:13 AM

09-08-2005, 10:53 AM
16 in the KIDS section. 16 slim to be exact.
WTF is going on here?? I was NEVER a size 16. I went from like wearing size 12 (kids) to wearing a 3/4.

i went shopping last night for some khaki pants for my photo shoot (i hate khaki and dont own any) the smallest pants i found were 6 and they were falling off me.
the lady at the dressing room suggested kids sizes. i kinda said "yeah, ok I'll check that" but my husband decided we should give it a try. So i did.

WOW now me and my kids can officially shop together. :rolleyes:

So, what are you looking for here, more affirmation or just a chance to feel better than people who are actually size 16's? Just curious.

09-08-2005, 11:01 AM
Oh I totally feel your pain. I was so upset the first time I realized that I actually felt more comfortable in Lane Bryant clothes than I did in my beloved Ralph Lauren clothes that were about a size and a half two small for me. Add to that the hurt feelings and humiliation I have felt over not being able to find cute plus sized maternity clothes after walking past an entire store full of exactly the style I'm looking for - just in the wrong size.

Oh wait...you said 16 kids... :rolleyes:

09-08-2005, 11:46 AM
Are you joking?!?!?!

09-08-2005, 11:46 AM
Yes, you seem so traumatized. Youi should definitely take this to emotional support.

09-08-2005, 11:50 AM
What is traumatizing about it? I guess, I don't understand why you're surprised since you stated that you used to fit into a size 12 kids.

09-08-2005, 11:51 AM
Ditto what both gokat and lml said. Not sure where you are going with this?

I understand that it's just as hard for some people to gain weight as it is for some to lose weight. Y'know what though? I'm a size 16. Women's that is. Yup, a size 16, Lane Bryant-shopping, plus size 16. So when I come in this this thread and see you complaining about being a size 16 CHILD...well, :mad:

09-08-2005, 11:52 AM
I'm confused. How are you traumatized? Because you went up to from a kids size 12 to a kids size 16? (which I guess is like an womens size 3/4?)

But you recently went shopping at a store and was like "yeah right?!" when the salesperson suggested checking the kids sizes, but yet you've been wearing kid sizes the whole time?

09-08-2005, 12:05 PM
WOW now me and my kids can officially shop together. :rolleyes:
btw...who-huh-what? I thought you were a writer. Just a tip...it is "my kids and I can officially shop together." You always go after the person you're with when you're speaking. If you rearrange and reword the sentence, it will make more sense. You wouldn't say, "Me can officially shop with my kids." You would, however, say, "I can officially shop with my kids." Therefore, you would say, "My kids and I can officially shop together."

Don't fall into the trap of thinking that "I" is always correct, though! Oh no! We wouldn't want that. It wouldn't be, "Here's a picture of my kids and I shopping." It would be "Here's a picture of my kids and me shopping." Here's the trick: take your kids out of the picture. It just doesn't work to say, "Here's a picture of I shopping." You'd want to say, "Here's a picture of me shopping." Therefore, it is, "Here's a picture of my kids and me."

09-08-2005, 12:06 PM
you poor thing

09-08-2005, 12:11 PM
Lyndsey, for what it's worth, I really learned something. :)

09-08-2005, 12:30 PM
Oh, how awful for you. I can't imagine how that must have affected your emotional state. Yes, very traumatizing.

And I agree with lml (that might be three times now!) - for someone who brags about being a writer, you really do write very poorly.

09-08-2005, 12:37 PM
you have got to be kidding me! :eek: :( Sorry but you'll get as much sympathy out of me for this one as my size 0 SIL who claims she's fat.

09-08-2005, 12:38 PM
Does anyone else think this thread is a little odd?? :confused: :rolleyes: I guess she was trying to tell us that she is thin?? Anyways...kudos!

09-08-2005, 12:39 PM
I am so upset I feel like crying. I won the lotterly.

09-08-2005, 12:39 PM
Wow. Not a smart move to post this thread here. . .

Maybe she's worried that kids sizes go so big now and is concerned about an increase in childhood obesity???

Truly weird.

09-08-2005, 12:45 PM
Well, look at it this way, at least the clothes are cheaper in the kids' department. It's like that Sex & the City episode where Samantha dates the short dude.

BTW, you said the store was out of khakis below a size 6. So maybe a pair of 2s or 4s would have fit you. The only real reason you HAD to buy kids' pants is because they were out of smaller adult sizes. If you were desperate and in a hurry, what's the big deal?

09-08-2005, 12:46 PM
Now I can understand why it upset you. It sounded more like bragging than actually being upset. If you really can't gain weight and just see the weight coming off then I do understand you being upset.

You should see a doctor ASAP.

09-08-2005, 12:46 PM
I am so upset I feel like crying. I won the lotterly.

I'll share your tears if you share your winnings.

(Beth, yes...I feel safe in assuming most of us find this to be one odd thread.)

09-08-2005, 12:48 PM
I agree with Iris, if you lost that much weight without trying (dieting) I'd see your doctor.

09-08-2005, 12:51 PM
thank you for clarifying yourself

And why is it that a larger person can complain about weight but not a thin one?
some of us are thin and dont want to be, and we try to change it but cant.
we get jokes and insults as well and it is difficult. we get called unnattractive.

I completely agree with this statement. I have always been thin and I can tell you...I am SOOO sick of hearing "eat a burger". You just have to embrace that you are thin and work from there.

As long as you are eating a healthy diet and aren't starving yourself you should be fine. I know emotially this bothers you so perhaps you can talk to someone.

Have you ever tried weight gainer type shakes?

ETA: If you are rapidly losing weight you need to speak to a doctor. Like others have said, you might have some type of condition that needs attention ASAP.

09-08-2005, 12:53 PM
If you had worded your first post differently and included more of the background information that you just posted you probably would have gotten a different response. But your first response came off as "oh poor me, I'm so thin." That is not going to get you sympathy b/c society and the media is constantly telling women that thin is good and having the least little bit of meat on your bones is not.

If you are losing that much weight so quickly than you need to see a doctor, that is not healthy.

09-08-2005, 12:53 PM
I used to work in a children's clothing store. I learned there that many women who were up to a size 6 could fit in to children's sizes 14 and 16. The big difference for most brands of children's clothes was that there is no room cut for hips in children's clothes. So if a woman has no/small hips and wears up to a size 6, there is a good likelihood that pants from the children's section will fit her.

09-08-2005, 12:56 PM
Your 1st post wasn't really clear. What I got out of it was that you had been a 3/4 and then had to buy kids clothes (not a big difference in size). You certainly didn't make it clear that you had a problem with not being able to gain weight. So, you can see where people would think this was a weird post.

That said, it sounds like you need to see a doctor. This sort of weight loss isn't normal. Maybe you have a thyroid problem?

For your reference, here are the symptoms of an over-active thyroid:
Heat intolerance
Increased bowel movements
Light or absent menstrual periods
Fast heart rate
Trembling hands
Weight loss
Muscle weakness
Warm moist skin
Hair loss
Staring gaze

09-08-2005, 12:57 PM
I think it also has a lot to do with your PTSD.

09-08-2005, 12:58 PM
I did see the doctor. the jackass said to drink protein shakes and eat more. :rolleyes: gee that was helpful. he said i should be glad I'm thin.

Can you find another doctor? You might have a medical condition that is causing you not to gain any weight or lose weight rapidly.

Thanks for clarifying your post, btw. I was able to understand your concern.

09-08-2005, 01:11 PM
I think you should see another doctor. This one obviously isn't listening to your needs and concerns.

And if I were you, I'd have my thyroid panels done again, just to be sure. Who knows what symptoms you're attributing to your PTSD that may really be related to something that's easily treatable? I think you owe it to yourself to find out.

Oh, and I, too, have been accused of things like anorexia (though I luckily have a pretty stable metabolism and am not losing weight like you are), so I sort of understand how you feel.

my father used to tell me i looked like a drowned ally cat.
I'm sorry that your father said things like this to you. It's not right. :(

09-08-2005, 01:18 PM
for a comparison...same dress
THIS was me at a size 12 and LOVING IT:

granted, this is me at my wedding a couple of years ago, but... i'm actually thinner now.

it was like a twig wrapped in silk.
I want to look like i did in the first picture, not share clothes with my 6 yr old.

i guess I thought someone else might be able to relate and I didnt mean any disrespect or insult.

btw, I've seen some damn cute stuff at lane bryant before.

Honestly, I really think you look beautiful in both photos. I say good for you that you can look good at any size!

And I think everyone realizes now that you weren't trying to brag or to insult anyone. It's just a sensitive subject for most women . . .

09-08-2005, 01:21 PM
ETA: about my dad...last time he came to visit in may he told me that I used to look good after froggy was born but now I look like a corpse, my ass is gone and i havea horsey face.

:( Why are parents so cruel sometimes? Have you told him that it's unacceptabe for him to speak to you like this? Have you told him it's hurtful? Can you speak with him about it?

09-08-2005, 02:06 PM
I'm sorry you do not feel good about yourself. I can understand how that feels.

And my Mom has often made comments about my weight (being chubby) so I know how hard that it is to take.

09-08-2005, 02:14 PM
Now I understand.

As someone who has always dealt with being heavy..I understand about the negative feelings that comes with weight probs, whether it be weight loss or gain. Like everyone else said, rapid weight loss is not healthy and you should consult another dr. If my dr said to me what your dr said about "be glad you are thin" I would have left right then in there...that is no good.

But in my opinion. In those pictures you posted I think you look fine. :)

09-08-2005, 02:15 PM
Is it just picking on you or is it taunting. My dad gives me a lot of crap about my looks.... If I am under 115 I am a twig if i get over 125 I have a ghetto booty, and he pinches the fat in my belly. I guess I always took it light hearted.

From what I have learned from men... Any size or shape can be appealing, it is more about presentation and confidence. There is such a variety of fashion out there that you should be able to work with being skinny. We all want a body shape we don't have. I got tired of fighting with my weight, I finally learned to buy clothes that flatter my assetts and cover what I don't like.

kd 9.21.02
09-09-2005, 08:55 AM
If you are wearing size 16 kids, you can probably wear 0s, 2s, or 4s in womens (if it's the thought of wearing "kids wear" that you don't like). I just can't understand why you were directed to the children's department after a women's size 6 was too big. What happened to trying the smaller women's sizes?

I guess I simply don't understand the issue here. I too can wear Gap Kids clothes on occasion and whenever I find a t-shirt (or whatever) there that fits well and I actually like, I'm psyched that I didn't have to pay more for the adult size. I can bounce between kids clothes and womens (not because I'm super thin -- just petite) and I like that I have the option to do so. Don't stress about it -- enjoy it!

09-09-2005, 09:04 AM
I think she said the store was out of adult sizes under a 6, so the clerk suggested trying the kids' sizes?

At any rate I agree with you. Who cares? It's cheaper and equivalent to an adult 2 or 4. Who is going to know they are kids' pants unless you take them off and show the tag?