View Full Version : need a wardrobe update

08-27-2005, 05:30 AM
I feel silly and a little embarrassed asking this but here goes... :o
I'm in need of a major fashion update. I still dress like I did in college (6 years ago, mostly jeans and t-shirts) but now I really want to dress more feminine and in style. I am so clueless when it comes to shopping though! How do I put together a nice updated wardrobe? What stores do some of you love? I don't even know where to start because some stores are way too teenager-y and others are places my mom would shop at! Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

08-27-2005, 06:42 AM
no need to be embarassed at all!!!

how bout trying ann taylor and ann taylor loft, banana republic, express.
even TJ Maxx and Marshalls have good stuff. your can get a few pieces and mix and match around until you are able to build up a whole new wardrobe.
try some of the big dept stores as well as they have a good mix of everything.

u can still wear your jeans!!!! but just dress them up with more feminine tops and dressier shoes too.

happy shopping!

ETA: New York and Co. also have good stuff and they're affordable

08-27-2005, 07:30 AM
as a fellow Canadian, I can reccommend some good stores to start with to get versatile, nice pieces:
Jacob, Plum, RW & Company for more professional work clothes
Old Navy for inexpensive trendy basics
Le Chateau for trendy tops
Reitmans has some nice sophisticated clothes that are simple and easy to pair with wardrobe basics.

What sort of work do you do?
Do you go out much for dinner or to bars/pubs?

These things will affect what you really need.
Hope that helped! :)

08-27-2005, 09:48 AM
I would check out Banana Republic and J.Crew websites for "inspiration". Those stores as well as Express, Gap, Old Navy, and department stores should have what you need, but you could check out the websites and then try to pick up different pieces in those styles as you see them in other places.

I agree that what you do for work and what you do for fun play a big role.

ETA: Here are a couple of similar threads that might help get you started -

08-27-2005, 01:40 PM
I like Arden B (www.ardenb.com), Express (www.expressfashion.com), BeBe (www.bebe.com) and BCBG MaxAzria (www.bcbg.com) a lot. I also go into specialty shops in the area and Neiman Marcus (http://www.neimanmarcus.com) mostly for higher end pieces and shoes. I sometimes go into Forever 21 (www.forever21.com) and find cute stuff too.

I say to really get some nice staple pieces like good black pants, shirts that feel good and stuff you can mix and match even if it does come in an "outfit". My SO has a personal shopper who puts stuff together for him before he gets to the store and then records what he gets and what he likes/doesn't like. I personally wouldn't do this too often, but if it might not be a bad idea to do it once to get you started off on the right foot. I believe Express or The Limited has something where you go in and they help you put 10 pieces together for under a certain amount of money and these pieces can be worn many different ways. Lucky Magazine (www.luckymag.com) also has a section where they taken several different pieces and shown them worn in different ways. I am not sure what part of Ontario you're in, but I know they have a Toronto version of the magazine they put out. Here's the list of their favorite places in Toronto:

Stores in Toronto (http://www.luckymag.com/toronto/stores/listings/041001cifa_toronto01)

Hope this helps. Come back and post pics of your new bad self. ;)

08-27-2005, 01:42 PM

"Cruise" the websites of stores near you. Once you find one you like quite a bit at and is in your budget, go in during a slower time (like during the week or right when it opens on the weekend). Ask for some help from a salesperson who is dressed in a manner you like. Tell them you have $x for a wardrobe update, and ask them to guide you. Put together outfits, mix-and-match pieces, basics that work from day to night.

Once done, buy some pieces within your budget. Then go somewhere less expensive, like a TJ Maxx/Marshalls, and find pieces similar to those you liked at the more expensive store but didn't buy.

08-28-2005, 12:26 PM
Thanks so much for your suggestions and advice everyone! It helps a lot!