View Full Version : Watches

08-24-2005, 09:45 AM
I want a new watch for my birthday. I like stainless steel bands and tank styles. I'd like to stay under $1000. Does anyone have any recommendations for brands I should be looking at? Is there a reliable website that has good prices on watches? I love the Cartier tank francaise watch my SIL has, but then I saw it retails for close to $3000. :eek: (My brother makes a lot more than my husband, I guess.) TIA!

08-24-2005, 09:54 AM
Mine might be too cheap for ya, but I have a fossil that I LOVE! I think my watch was under $100 - and I love it. So I guess the only thing I can say to look at is maybe Fossil and Ann Klein! :) oh and to me a $3000 watch is CrAzY!!

Good Luck!

08-24-2005, 10:46 AM
I have a Kenneth Cole that I adore -- got it as a graduation present from grad school in 2003. It's held up wonderfully for 2 1/2 years so far, and is a very good looking watch. Again, it was about $100, so I don't know if it's quite in the range you want, but it's stainless steel (a matte/shiny combo), with a matte silver face. I love it and always get compliments about it.

It kind of looks like this:

I have a Cartier tank, too, but with the leather strap -- I love it, but I have to say that I wear my Kenneth Cole a hell of a lot more -- just not as afraid of dinging it up, I suppose (also, the Cartier was a combined 25th b-day/wedding present from my mom, so I'm afraid to hurt it).

08-24-2005, 11:09 AM
I'm dying for the Cartier tank, so I'm no help. LOVE that watch!

08-24-2005, 11:59 AM
Try Ashford.com, they have great prices and often have coupons and specials. I've ordered designer items from them before (although not watches) and everything was authentic and brand new.

I completely agree with you about Cartier watches, unfortunately the one I like is $5K and I don't think I'll ever be able to justify that kind of money for a watch.

08-24-2005, 12:10 PM
I have an Ebel sport classic wave watch. It's stainless with 18K accents.

I'd always wanted one of these since I was a little girl and my mom talked about wanting one. She got one a few months back and I got one last month as a belated law school graduation gift.

I like it because it's light and thin (but not cheap) and has the "status watch" look and feel to it, without being as cliche as a Rolex (plus, I hear they keep terrible time! My aunt never wears hers.)

They retail for about $1700, but I got mine at Overstock.com for a little less than $600, after they had a sale and I used a coupon code. Since Overstock isn't a licensed Ebel dealer, the warranty you get isn't through Ebel, but through Overstock. But other than that, I don't think it's much different than buying through a jewelry store - except much cheaper.

08-24-2005, 12:20 PM
I love my watch, very simple. FH gave it to me for Xmas.

08-24-2005, 01:44 PM
catch, your watch is very pretty.

08-26-2005, 07:37 AM
Thanks! It's a Bulova and definitely under $1000. I think it's $250 on the website. I wear it everyday, just love it :)

08-26-2005, 08:43 AM
I have a COACH tank (was my wedding gift from DH) I thikn it runs around $4-500 and I LOVE it--I wear it every day, and it goes casual and dressy!

It's almost like this one, but I can't find a pic of mine online anymore. It's so 2003!

08-26-2005, 08:46 AM
I'm thinking about a Coach, also. My current watch is ~$100, but I've had it for several years b/c I can't find anything I like as much. I'm so hard on watches (with scratches), though, I'm having a hard time justifying the $.

ETA: Mine looks sort of like this:

It's a Guess, but lots of people ask/think it's a Gucci; I certainly didn't intend for such confusion when I bought it.

08-26-2005, 08:51 AM
I have the same Bulova watch that catch has and I love it! DH got it for me ~5 years ago and it has held up really well. I've gotten a lot of compliments on it. The metal around the watch face does have a few scratches but nothing noticeable and I'm very hard on watches.

08-26-2005, 09:00 AM
The metal around the watch face does have a few scratches but nothing noticeable and I'm very hard on watches.

Me too!! I think it's because I wear mine a little loose, like a bracelet. It twists around and gets banged up, especially when I type.

dana b
08-26-2005, 02:16 PM
i was watch shopping earlier this year. i wanted to spend less than $1000 also. there wasn't much in the $500.-1000. price range. it was either kenneth cole, guess, fossil, coach in the low hundreds and then it jumped up to $1500+ for the more expensive brands.
this is a nice tank watch and it's around $700 - longines dolce vita

08-26-2005, 02:32 PM
costco.com and my local Costco often have really nice watches at great prices. I think I've seen the Cartier tank watch there for around $2,000.

My friend got a Raymond Weil (http://www.raymond-weil.ch/masters/RW/default.asp?) watch after she had her second baby. It looks similar to this:
I think they run under $1,000.

08-26-2005, 02:34 PM
dana_b, that IS a pretty watch. And I totally agre with what you are saying about the price ranges. It is weird. After much research, I've decided I like the Baume et Mercier Hampton watch with steel band and white face and the Omega Mini Constellation. Both retail for around $1300, but I've seen them for closer to $900 on www.ashford.com and even less on eBay.

The B&M one:

The Omega one:

What do you guys think?

I am super-hard on watches too! I currently have a Gucci watch that is only 3-4 years old but it is trashed. I wonder if I should rethink getting an expensive watch? LOL.

08-26-2005, 02:44 PM
mom_to_zoe :
I love the Baume & Mercier one... it's gorgeous.

On getting an expensive watch... DH and I both have Rolexes and we are really hard on our watches. We wear them ALL the time. They have sapphire-crystal faces or something, so the face NEVER scratches. You can get the watch serviced by Rolex and it will look BRAND NEW. DH's is 16 years old and it still looks perfect.

Anyhow, my take on expensive watches is that it's worthwhile as long as you aren't going to get sick of the style!

dana b
08-26-2005, 03:07 PM
i like both. the omega is kinda classic, you could keep it for a long time. i think the tank is prettier for now though. i actually ended up with a baume, i got this one...
i never knew costco had the cartier tank, that's what i really wanted.

08-26-2005, 03:56 PM
I have a Coach stainless steel tank similar to the one posted earlier. I have had it for about 3 years, and I love it.

My mom recently received the Baume & Mercier Hampton posted earlier, but with diamonds along the sides, for her 10th wedding anniversary like this

My step-dad paid just under $2000 for it. I love it, with or w/o the diamonds.

08-26-2005, 07:36 PM
i've never been into expensive watches, rather have expensive earrings ;) but i really like the Omega constellation watch you posted. My DH recently got one for himself w/ silver band and silver face, it is gorgeous!

08-26-2005, 11:27 PM
I have an Omega that was around $1,000 that my mother bought for me as a law school graduation present. It's now almost 5 years old and is still in fantastic shape.

08-27-2005, 05:14 AM
I am partial to the Baum and Mercier because I have 2 of them. I have the Hamptons with no stones that you posted and I have the catwalk with sapphires. I love both of them because they are so durable. I am really rough on mine.

08-27-2005, 07:39 AM
I want an Hermes watch so bad, the kind with the studded band, but they are hard to find and expensive. :(

08-29-2005, 03:41 AM
I really like the B&M Linea. You can usually find it on sale for around $500.

I've bought from this seller on ebay before and will vouch for him. I got a B&M Hampton Chronograph which retailed for over $2k for $800. I even had it authenticated at a B&M dealer. Perry is great to work with. This is his store link (http://stores.ebay.com/BESTWATCHES4LESS_W0QQssPageNameZstrkQ3amefsQ3amess tQQtZkm).

Also overstock usually has some pretty good prices.

08-29-2005, 08:22 AM
I want an Hermes watch so bad, the kind with the studded band, but they are hard to find and expensive.

Ah, Hermes. Home of the $300 beach towel

Thanks so much for all the replies. And keep them coming! It's so fun to ogle all these gorgeous watches.

08-29-2005, 08:41 AM
I fell for this one over the weekend, though I haven't purchased it (yet!):

08-31-2005, 09:31 PM
I'd have to second the Rolex. My bf just got his new Rolex in today and he loves it. You can send it back to Rolex and get it serviced once a year and it comes back looking brand new. They can buff any scratchs out...usually you only get them on the band becuase the faces are crystal so they don't scratch. I used to wear a watch a lot and got out of the habit. After seeing his watch I am thinking about getting a Rolex myself.

This is the one I'm thinking about getting:

I also like the one's with the Mother of Pearl face...some have a blue tint, and others have a pink..they are really cute. I really like the diamond bezel - but you usually have to buy them and have them put on seperatly by Rolex:

09-01-2005, 07:13 AM
I was looking for a new watch last year and decided to go with Coach vs B&M. I really like my pink Coach but it's so badly scratched up that I don't think I'll ever get another Coach.

09-01-2005, 08:42 AM
I was looking for a new watch last year and decided to go with Coach vs B&M. I really like my pink Coach but it's so badly scratched up that I don't think I'll ever get another Coach

It is the band that is scratched or the crystal? The crystal shouldn't scratch, as I *thought* all Coach watches had sapphire crystals -- I am very hard on watches and my Coach doesn't show a single scratch on the crystal. If it's the band (or any metal parts) that is scratched, take the watch to a jeweler and have the scratches buffed out. I did this recently, and my watch looks new!

09-01-2005, 08:55 AM
I like the Raymond Weil! I think they look feminine b/c of how thin they are. I think I have seen that one at Costco as well. But they have revolving inventory, different stuff in the jewelry section all the time.

09-01-2005, 05:47 PM
This is way UNDER your budget, but I have a really cheap watch that I get TONS of compliments on... people are shocked when I tell them I only paid $75 for it! It's by Guess.

09-03-2005, 09:02 AM
This is my watch. DH bought it for me on our honeymoon. It is a Wittnauer that retails for around $750-$800. It has a mother-of-pearl face and 24 diamonds. I love it.

09-07-2005, 11:33 AM
This is my current watch and I think it was only about $300..

ESQ Venture...
I have had it for 4 years so it's about time for a new one.

12-30-2007, 05:16 PM

I got her for Christmas... Dior, just a hint of pink. I have been wanting a watch for I don't know how long! DH was SO good to me this year!!

12-30-2007, 05:47 PM
NYCBella- Beautiful! I love it.