View Full Version : Curly Girl Needs Help

08-24-2005, 08:13 AM
I have a wedding to go to this weekend and I have no idea what to do with my newly cut hair. It's currently cut a little above chin (in it's curly stage) all around with a few subtle layers. Wearing it down seems a bit too casual, it's a fancy wedding and I'll be wearing an evening dress. But I'm not sure how I can take it up, as it's too short to even make a ponytail, let alone a twist of any sorts. I'm even wondering if it's worth it for me to make a styling appt or if they'll just send me home, since my hair is too short to do anything. I'd appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.

08-24-2005, 08:32 AM
ok here is my advice.
I have curly hair thats a bit past my chin. my favorite hairstlye is quick and easy and can be formal or casual.

let your hair dry loose and curly. then take a small section in the middle back part of your head and twist ita bit, then pin it up so the ends are sticking up a bit. then just keep grabbing sections of hair from one side of your head, twisting them a bit and pinning them to the opposite side next to the middle one. take the bottom part all together, or in 2 parts give it a a couple of twists and pin it up as well. i recommend a side part in the front but a middle part is really cute too.
basically it gives you an updo look, without the actual updo.

also if your hair is really short you can pull the top and the sides back and pin them and then pin the bottom up, giving you another updo look even if your hair is just chin length.

08-24-2005, 08:33 AM
I think the second option might be best for you, to make the second one really look good. blow dry your hair straight, then curl it loosely with a curling iron and then pin it up.

08-24-2005, 09:13 AM
Thanks, I'll play around with that tonight. The curly book mentioned something very similar. I was also thinking of trying to do some sort of 30s style, when hair is sort of waved close to the head. Wonder if that will go with my dress though.

08-24-2005, 10:18 AM
I have stick straight hair, but curly hair runs in DH's family, so I've looked into places that specialize in curly hair just in case our DD gets his hair.

Have you heard of The Ouidad Salon? I'm not sure how pricey they are, but you might be able to book an appointment to get an updo there. Ouidad is a technique where the stylist "carves and slices" the hair to get perfect curls.

Here's the NYC salon's website. (http://www.ouidad.com/salon_locator/salon_detail.asp?salon_id=K7VPUL1A38BL8HMLD293HDGW AX3QE0BB)

08-24-2005, 11:02 AM
FYI, finger waves like those pictured are HARD to do if you're not a pro! And if you go to a pro, it'll probably be $$ because of the amount of work it takes to get them right.

My hair is curly as well. What about putting a good curl creme in to get them looking fabulous, and then just pinning up a few side tendrils for a 1/2 up, 1/2 down look?

08-24-2005, 11:04 AM
OMG I have always wanted those curly things done to my hair. I have NO idea how to do it and have yet to find anyone that can. That is just so pretty!

08-24-2005, 12:14 PM
While the Ouidad salon is close to my work, it'll be a huge pain to get to on a Saturday afternoon. Plus I'm not sure I want to pay $100 for an updo (even my bridal hair was less). But it's a great place to keep in mind for a cut.

I guess I'll just experiement with pinning some of the hair up in strategic places and see if I like the look in general. I'll probably end up going to a pro on the day of to make sure the back of my head matches the front. :D And if they happen to be able to recreate some sort of finger waves for around $50, I'll give those a try. Thanks for all the suggestions and please keep them coming. Also any sorts of pics that I can take to the salon with me will be great.

08-24-2005, 07:49 PM
What about adding a sparkly clip or bobbypin?? You could style your hair as usual and add a little clip to it. Sometimes that is all it needs to take it to "evening hair."