View Full Version : What types of clothing/outfits do you feel your best in?

08-23-2005, 02:12 PM
Inspired by the fashion you love/hate thread, what kinds of clothing or outfits do you feel your best in? Conversely, what kinds of clothing make you feel uncomfortable or do you think are unflattering to you?

-- My "best":

I've always liked the fact that my upper body is pretty small, and liked the way my legs look from years of running, so I feel my best in fitted shirts and shorts or skirts that end above the knee.

I also feel kind of powerful, in a female lawyer, Susan Dey-in-LA Law- kind of way, when I wear my black skirt suit, French blue button down shirt, black stockings, and black heels with ankle staps to court.

-- My "worst":

I hate hate hate clothing that is either too big or too tight on me, especially the latter. I've never been able to wear the cool low rider,$100+ type jeans because they cling in places I just don't like feel cling. Similarly, since I'm soshort, I feel absolutely dumpy in any kind of short pant or long skirt that cuts me off below the knee.

How about you?

08-23-2005, 02:45 PM
i have no boobs, so I wear super push up bras with low cut shirts to give the appearance of boobs ans cleavage :)

I've always liked what my husband calls "ho wear", tight, short clothes.
now that I have kids I've toned that down to stretch low riders most of the time. I love strapless dresses with handkerchief hemlines, I guess its the latina in me, I like those dresses with that "latin flare".
I also love wearing unusual clothes. like to my husband's embarassment I have a BRIGHT orange and yellow dress that looks like something out a 70's donna reed nightmare and I love it.
I also like dressing like a gypsy, meaning long broomstick skirts with a hankerchief on my hips and an off the shoulder peasant blouse. what can I say, I'm bizarre.
Next on my list is a nice medieval dress and a serving wench outfit. And yes, Iwill wear those out in public and I dont mean just on halloween.

I'm pretty comfortable in just about anything but the one thing in my closet that I've only worn twice and will never wear again is one of those short skirts with the ruffle right underneath the butt. I just feel too naked in it. I feel like i'm trying too hard to be 18.
oh and shorts, I'm not a fan of shorts, I have big thighs so my shorts ALWAYS ride up and my butt is pretty "bubbly" so they go up my butt.

08-23-2005, 02:48 PM
I have nice legs and a nice set of "twins" so anything that flatters those areas are good for me. I do not care for anything that is clingy to the mid section. Mine could use some work so I try to stay away from that.

08-23-2005, 04:50 PM
I like comfortable clothing. I'm very top heavy so I like tops that draw the eye upward toward my face.
I pretty much don't like any other clothing :rolleyes:

08-23-2005, 04:57 PM
I like wrap-style tops--but I'm picky. No empire waist, and no short waists--they need to be real wrap tops that come at least to mid-hip.

08-24-2005, 08:11 AM
I have a small upper body with large-for-my-frame breasts and a really flat stomach from years of classical singing, so I enjoy wearing low-cut V-neck shirts that show just a tiny slice of my tummy. No crop-tops though, they remind me too much of the 80s.

Below the waist though, I'm lumpy and pudgy. Even my ankles are huge.

08-24-2005, 09:50 AM
I have narrow hips, D-cup boobs, nice legs and a poochy tummy that I never got rid of after having my daughter. So, I prefer separates to dresses and I hate bathing suits! I am also short-waisted, so I never, ever tuck in my shirts. It makes me look like Ed Grimley! I love to wear skirts, capris and low-waisted boot-cut pants with knit tops or blouses. Those kind of outfits help me define my waist and hide my tummy.

08-24-2005, 10:12 AM
Honestly, if I could live every day of my life in a great pear of jeans, a white t-shirt and flip-flops, I would. I'm not very fond of my legs, but I love my waist and I have, or at least DH thinks I have, a nice butt. In my head, jeans and a t-shirt show both off nicely. :)

08-24-2005, 11:01 AM
Two things that always make me happy:
--A great pair of jeans
--A great pair of stilettos

ETA and I love vintage because I don't like looking like everyone else.

08-24-2005, 11:07 AM
This is going to sound really snobby, and I'm not like that at all IRL, so I'll whisper:

I feel really good in expensive clothes. The more it cost, the better I feel wearing it.

Yes, I'm sure you can find inexpensive things that look great, but there's something about the cut and feel of really expensive clothes that makes me walk taller and with an air of confidence.

08-24-2005, 11:19 AM
Either a dress that was cut like it was made for my body...or else jeans and tees. I'm pretty much an either or girl. Either really fancy or really comfy.

08-24-2005, 11:28 AM
I feel really good in a nice pair of fitted/tight (not too tight to cut off circulation but tight in the right places) pants or jeans. If they are work type pants I prefer them to have a nice crisp crease down the front...although this rarely happens since I machine wash my dress pants. If they are jeans I want them to be low rise (not undie-showing low though) with a nice boot cut. Tops that I love the best are my fitted stretchy t-shirts (although I can't wear those to work) so a nice button down oxford with a bit of stretch in it.

When I am lounging around the house I love to be braless with a T and sweats!

08-24-2005, 12:03 PM
I look best when my hair is done and I have on jewlery and makeup. I've gotten compliments from women and men on how pretty I am when I'm wearing a cute shirt, pants and flats, as long as my hair was styled and I had on some lipgloss or lipstick.

My faves are things that show off my awesome neckline and gorgeous boobs. So, I LOVE v-necks and creative necklines. I also like dresses. Business clothing also makes me look very sexy.

I don't like things that are very bright (Orange, yellow) to be tight also. I don't think that's a good look for me. I could definiltey live in a world without blue jeans. I never really wore jeans until my senior year in college. They still aren't that serious to me.

08-24-2005, 12:09 PM
This is going to sound really snobby, and I'm not like that at all IRL, so I'll whisper:

I feel really good in expensive clothes. The more it cost, the better I feel wearing it.

Yes, I'm sure you can find inexpensive things that look great, but there's something about the cut and feel of really expensive clothes that makes me walk taller and with an air of confidence.

I know exactly what you mean. If I could only afford clothes like that more often. On daily basis I'm a generic JCrew/Banana type of person with a few designer/interesting pieces here and there.

08-24-2005, 12:27 PM
I feel that I look my best in knee-length skirts, preferably pleated, with fitted tees and ballet flats. I'm very simple, but I love color! I don't really do patterns, solids always look best to me. I like big, pretty purses (currently love my light yellow Coach hobo) and wearing my hair in a ponytail. Lots of lipgloss, soft plum blush and a hint of champagne colored eye shadow. I have black hair and a light olive complexion, it works.

08-24-2005, 12:53 PM
I know exactly what you mean. If I could only afford clothes like that more often. On daily basis I'm a generic JCrew/Banana type of person with a few designer/interesting pieces here and there.

Yikes! J Crew and Banana is what I consider expensive designer stuff! :confused:

08-24-2005, 12:54 PM
I LOVE expensive clothes, but oftentimes I feel super hot in something I scored for five bucks at a thrift shop. I'm easy to please I guess!

08-24-2005, 01:25 PM
I also like vintage late 1950's-early 1960's clothes, but they are hard to find around here...

08-24-2005, 02:05 PM
Ebay! :D

08-24-2005, 02:15 PM
Yeah, but I'm weirdly proportioned -- tall (5'10"), thin, small chest...but definite curves in the hip area...flat flat long butt (TMI, probably)...always wary of things I can't try on. But I should look. Maybe I'll find something.

08-24-2005, 02:47 PM
Well cut, fitted things. Long skirts that cling just enough...

Jeans that fit well. Shirts that are cut just low enough but not too low. Gotta leave something to the imagination.

Bikinis! I love the beach. I love just hanging out in my bathing suit - with lots of sunblock of course!

08-25-2005, 01:16 PM

glad I'm not alone!

08-27-2005, 03:41 PM
I am likely a freak for saying this but...

I was born to wear formal evening gowns. I am tall, have good shoulders, nice boobs and am curvy. I wish I could wear them every single day. Needless to say, I look forward to going to weddings and other formal events, lol. I have such a nice gown collection, my friends laugh that they look forward to seeing me at a wedding just as much as the bridal party since I go all out: fresh makeup, modern twist for my hair, fab jewelry and a gorgeous gown in a great color. Think Nicole Miller, Saks, etc. I literally look like someone else when I get to play dress up.

Crew neck t-shirts and straight-leg pants. Holy cow I look like a sausage!
Shorts - not that I EVER wear them. Scary.
Wrap-style tops make me look like Boobzilla. Ew.

08-28-2005, 01:43 PM
I love to be comfy, so if I am not working I am in jeans or some other kind of "comfy pants".

I love fall. I like to wear cute turtlenecks & sweaters w/ a fun jacket. I feel best when I am in a pair of boot cut jeans w/ a great pair of boots.

I'm not a big skirt/dress person, never have been. I do own a few, and actually just bought a new skirt, but have to be in the mood to wear it. I do wear suits and blazers for work, but I am very eager to take them off at the end of the day.

I don't really like tight or real fitted things. Once I hit my goal weight i'm sure I will ;)

08-28-2005, 02:50 PM
I am so with kimthebride -- I love formal attire. I also feel good in well cut business suits and really classic business casual type stuff (nice slightly wide-legged wool or crepe trousers, fitted but not tight silk sweaters, pretty lady-like heels etc.). And I love turtlenecks.

I don't ever feel particularly cute or sexy in really casual clothes, though I am loving full cotton skirts with tees or tanks and little flats these days, and I do appreciate really nice fitting jeans. I despise shorts and will not wear them unless I am literally working out. I generally feel like a huge dork in anything really trendy.

08-28-2005, 05:34 PM
amew, i could have written your post! i love a fantastic well cut suit and feminine accessories. I feel like i am trying too hard when i wear something trendy, since my every day style is more conservative. that said, i love a good blazer...i haven't counted, but i have at least 30.

08-31-2005, 04:25 PM
- My best assest is my butt, so anything that shows that off without being too tight in the tummy is best. I'm short and short waisted, so I have rather long legs in proportion, so skirts and booty shorts are fun. I also just like to dress up and feel fancy, I walk in to a restraunt like I own the place! :D
- I am pretty small on top, (read: don't quite fill an A cup now that I've lost weight) so I don't wear things like tube tops or tight halters that show I can't fill them out. (I love padded push up bras!)

08-31-2005, 06:14 PM
Feeling best - high heels, hands down. I stand up straighter and even when the rest of you is not having the best day, how can your legs/feet not look great?! I wore the highest heels I could throughout my pregnancy and felt a little diva-ish, but in a good way. The perfect pair of jeans - everyone has one. The kind you can wear with a t and sneakers one day and a flowy top and stilettos the next. A made up face everyday. I'm kind of a makeup junkie so I like trying out new looks even in the daytime.

Feeling worst - shorts (other than workout shorts). I lived in NYC where it seemed no one was wearing shorts out on the street, so it's a tough look to get used to now that I'm out in the burbs again.