View Full Version : Anyone else feel guilty for "cheating" on hair stylist?

08-23-2005, 12:10 PM
I hope this is the appropriate forum - I'm about to cheat on my hari stylist!

I've been going to her for less than a year (started just after the wedding) - but now I am going to see someone new this weekend and I feel like I am "cheating"!

This new one is right near my house though (we moved at the end of the year) - so I decided it was time to see if I liked someone close to home - but I feel so guilty about leaving my old (current) one - she's really sweet and has done a good job - but I can't really get in there during the week b/c of time constraints - and don't really want to pay to park in the city on the weekends when there's a salon close to home.

Oh the drama (and fear) of switching stylists! *lol* anyone with me?

08-23-2005, 12:37 PM
I know how you feel. I have a lady who is great at hair color, but wont cut my hair!!! She thinks that this other girl in the slaon Katie is better. But she never changes my hair cut!!! I ask for different things and she does the same one. Half the time you can't notice that she cut it.
My friend has an awesome stylist who I want to to so bad.... She does excellent cut and color for only 90 bucks. I went for a cut a couple years ago and loved it. I don't want to "cheat" on my stylist, but I hate going to two different people.

08-23-2005, 01:20 PM
I cheated on my stylist and found one that I absolutely love! My new stylist is from part of my city that's close to me, and she really understands what I want better than my old one did...

You should totally cheat on your current stylist. You might be way happier with the new one! ;)

08-23-2005, 01:48 PM
I would totally feel guilty cheating on my stylist, Kaci. She's just wonderful, though. I honestly can't imagine letting anyone else touch my hair. And it's funny, too, because we have a ton in common, so we have a great time chatting. In fact, I need to make an appointment! :)

08-23-2005, 05:06 PM
I totally need to make an appointment too!

I haven't cheated on my stylist, but I've thought of it a couple of times. His salon is super nice (free parking and really close to my house) and I can usually get in within a couple of days. The problems lay in the fact that he now charges $70 a cut and sometimes he talks too much and ends up cutting either too much hair off or making some of the layers around my face too chunky (which I HATE). When I started going to him in 2000, his fee was $40 a cut and I was able to go every 6-8 weeks like I prefer doing. Now I try to put it off more than that, especially since I buy products as well and those totally add to the bill.

I would really feel guilty leaving or cheating on him (he would be able to tell I bet) because I've been seeing him for so long and we're friends.

08-23-2005, 06:24 PM
Yes, I've cheated on my stylist pam.. except I cheated on her while she was working with someone who worked at the same place!!! I used DH as a cover though. (He got his haircut by my "old" stylist) I did feel guilty bc she was there! lol I even had the new stylist do my waxing. I felt bad, and im going to make an appt with the new stylist again bc I think she did a better job. You know what's funny.. while I was getting my haircut we were all joking about how I was cheating on Pam right in front of her! lol... poor pam.

Lil' Peach
08-23-2005, 08:58 PM
I'm considering doing this, but I feel sooo bad! :o I started seeing her about 9 months ago when my stylist (in the same salon) made a career change. She's always done a fabulous job with coloring but only trimmed my hair because I've been growing it out. Last week I went in for a short cut and it looks so AWFUL. I hate it and I don't have the heart to say anything (pathetic, I know!).. I'd rather just cheat and find someone else to fix it. Plus I think she's a little overpriced ($35 for a cut). I just don't know.. :confused:

08-23-2005, 10:10 PM
Oh yes!

I went to stylist 1 for 17 years! I traveled to her salon after I moved to another state. Stylist 1 bought the salon, and after some time, she recommended one of her staff do my color as she was faster and more skilled than stylist 1 at application. The 2nd time the staffmember did it, she completely screwed it up. While I appreciated the apologies from Stylist 1, I stopped going traveling to her salon and found a new stylist, Stylist 2, in my new state.

This spring, after over at Stylist 2, I went back to Stylist 1's shop for hair as part of a bridal party. Of course, they totally knew I had taken my business elsewhere, and I felt horrible about that. To make it even worse, they cut my hair as they felt it would improve the style for the wedding, and when I when back to Stylist 2, he totally knew! At least he had the grace to say, "Um, your hair didn't grow in so well this time...."

08-24-2005, 07:48 AM
I knew I couldn't be the only one to feel this way, *lol*

This will be my third stylist since I moved here - but I did not feel abd about the first switch.

I moved to Philly in May 2001 - took a chance - went to a new stylist and loved her - continued seeing her even as her prices rose.

2004 - (seeing her three years now) - she moved to a new salon - more out of the way for me - but continued to see her. Her prices got REALLY HIGH here (you don't even want to know what a cut and highlight cost) - but I continued seeing her a) b/c I trusted her and b) b/c I was not changing hairstylists before the wedding, *lol*

My last appt with her - 2 weeks before the wedding - I got the time wrong and got there late (mea culpa) - she trimmed - and by trim I mean spent less than five minutes cutting some dead ends off of my hair. Also did highlights.

Then - she didn't even dry it b/c next appointment was there - no problem with that. But then - she charged me for a CUT AND DRY - she barely cut it, did not fry it - and was really high priced. I had been going to her for 3 and 1/2 years and had referred at least 2 steady customers to her.

Well, I said something about being charged for a cut and blowdry (Like $60 or more) - when my hair was wet. she said they come together - can't do anything about it. After all of that time - and all of my business - she should have been able to do *something* about it. (when spending over $200 on the highlights - I think she could have done something about my wet head - yeah - she was that expensive! I also told her (before the hair drying issue) - she was getting to be too $$ for me.

well - after that - I did not feel bad finding a new stylist when I needed a cut after the wedding! *lol*

so I have been seeing the new stylist since the end of October - but I like to get my haircut on weekends so I am not trying to either cram it into lunch or be out of the office too long - but I don't really want to come into the city and pay for parking to get a haricut - so - I am going to give stylist #3 a shot - but I do feel really bad about stylist #2 in the city. If I don't like #3 I'll definitely have to go back to her.

Oh the guilt! - thanks for letting me get out my story about #1 - not like I harbor any resentment or anything, *lol*

08-24-2005, 08:09 AM
A friend of mine referred me to my stylist, Linda, and she gets her hair redone constantly, so Linda and I are always talking about how my friend was just there. She gave me this perfect cut once and could never duplicate it again for some reason. Every cut since then has been slightly "off". I started getting highlights last time though, and she's good at them.

A coworker always has a great cut, but she gets hideous highlights. I asked her for the name of her stylist, but I know going to a new person for the cuts and Linda for highlights would be awkward. At least I have a while to think about it, since this new lady is still on maternity leave from having triplets. :eek: