View Full Version : products for short hair styles

08-18-2005, 08:35 AM
I always have short, textured hair styles (often chin length) but I rarely do the daily upkeep it needs to look it's best. Whenever I use products it always looks greasy or stiff (I have thin blond hair that tends to oily and limp). What hair products do you like, how much do you use, and how do you apply it?

08-18-2005, 09:30 AM
I have thin hair, too, though it's curly. I just switched to using Aveda's "Brilliant" hair gel and it's great. I use maybe about a dime's worth and just rub it all over my hair.

My SIL used to have short-ish more "funky" hair styles and I know she used Bed Head products to make her hair stand up and do different things. I know she used some kind of "paste", too, but I don't know if that was by Bed Head or someone else.

08-18-2005, 09:58 AM
My mom has short, thin-ish hair ... she uses (and loves) "material":

It's pretty dry, I think (like a paste) and doesn't get very greasy. She applies by putting a tiny amt. on her fingers (pea-sized dot), rubbing it into her fingers almost like lotion, and then running her fingers through her hair in the way she wants to style it.

08-18-2005, 02:24 PM
I second Material. I have very short hair and I like it because, unlike other products, it doesn't make your hair look greasy or wet as long as you use a small amount. It's great for styling.

08-18-2005, 02:54 PM
Material sounds interesting, I think I'll try that. Magrat, sounds like I have similar hair type, color, and cut to you, so thanks for starting this! Right now I just use a mouse and light hairspray. I was using a mouse you spray directly at the roots, but I ran out. That seemed to work better than my mouse now. I've also used every BedHead product known to man;), and I haven't really "loved" any of them, but these I've liked:

This one I put directly where I want volume, at the crown:

You have to heat this in a sink w/ hot water first or it will clog:

Just for the tips:

08-23-2005, 12:10 PM
Thanks everyone, I'm going to have to pay more I guess, but with recommendations it makes it a lot less risky. I'll check it out next time I'm at the drug store!

08-23-2005, 10:30 PM
I have a bit longer hair now, but I normally keep it pretty short and funky. My absolute favourite product is Sebastian's Mud. It's dry and pastey, rather than sticky.
To define chunks or flips- I like styling cream made by john frieda.

08-25-2005, 04:00 AM
Thanks everyone, I'm going to have to pay more I guess, but with recommendations it makes it a lot less risky. I'll check it out next time I'm at the drug store!

Do you have a Sally Beauty Supply nearby? They sell a line of products called Beyond the Zone that are identical to the TIGI products. The people on the Makeup Alley boards rave about them, and they're only around $7 or so.