View Full Version : Tall girls, where do you buy pants?

07-30-2005, 08:05 PM
I need at least a 34 inch inseam and I'm having a hard time finding pants that are fashionable yet machine washable and will hide my post baby belly.

Eddie Bauer pants don't fit me right through the hips and butt, so that's out, and my MIL wears Lands End and LL Bean and I'm not sure if I'm ready to become my MIL yet.

Any other suggestions?

07-30-2005, 08:10 PM
I'll be interested to see what others say...I have the same problem. I'm too skinny for misses clothes and a lot of companies that make jrs sizes don't make long lengths.

I buy my jeans at Gap (sometimes I can find slacks there, too. I have to try them on though, because even the longs sometimes aren't long enough.) I used to buy Dickies from Pac Sun or Dickiesgirl.com, but they don't have the long length anymore (which I think was 34.5). I love the way Dickies fit, but don't know what I'll buy now.

07-31-2005, 12:45 PM
I've had pretty good luck with JCrew's tall pants and jeans.

07-31-2005, 07:10 PM
Thanks, wander_woman . I'll have to check out J Crew. Do you know if they sell Talls in the store or just thorugh the catalog?

Surprisingly, I found a pair of jeans at Kohl's the other night that were actually long enough. And they're not frumpy, either, which really surprised me.

PookiePrincess, they were by AXCESS and were a 9/10, so they might fit you. Usually I can't wear anything juniors, but these fit me well.

07-31-2005, 08:05 PM
One of my best friends is 5'11" and maybe a size 2 on a fat day. She buys pants almost exclusively at J. Crew -- I think she often has to order the talls (she goes to the store, finds what she wants, then has them order it from the store so she can avoid paying shipping).

I have somewhat hard time finding pants that are long enough, though I am not that tall. I buy Gap jeans in longs and buy most of my work pants at Banana Republic. A year or two ago, Banana increased their standard inseam by an inch or two, so many of their pants are on the long side as is. If they aren't quite long enough, they will let out the seam and add another inch or two for you for free.

08-01-2005, 08:57 AM
I'm 5'9" and have found that Express pants, both for jeans and slacks, fit me well. I wear a pair of their Editor pants to work at least twice a week and would definitely suggest them for you.

08-01-2005, 10:43 AM
I wear a 33" inseam and have found that most Express pants are a little long on me..as in I have to wear my higher heels with them rather than my medium heels. So they would definitely work for a 34" inseam. I prefer the Correspondant cut over the Editor though, so try them both :)

Also, I have gotten pants at Limited that fit well. They have longs, but are usually hit or miss on style and fit.

08-01-2005, 10:47 AM
Like someone else mentioned...Express pants come in LONG lengths & have many fits/cuts.

08-01-2005, 10:55 AM
Express is great. I also have luck at the Gap and J.Crew sometimes. There isn't a Zara anywhere near me, but if there's one near you, that store is great, too! I can always find long-enough pants there (I am in between 33" and 34" inseams).

08-01-2005, 12:44 PM
I fifth Express.

BCBG pants are long, but they can be hit or miss. I mention them because two of my favorite pants are BCBG, so it may be worth at least taking a look.

08-01-2005, 01:25 PM
I second J.Crew. SIL is 6'1" and she gets most of her pants there.

I'm 5'9" and usually get my jeans from AE, it is one of the few times I have found ones that fit me and are long enough! I've had luck with Banana Republic, J.Crew, and Express.

08-01-2005, 02:18 PM
Guess I'll be hitting Express some time this week. Thanks!

08-01-2005, 04:21 PM
Old Navy, The Gap. That is where I find mine.

08-01-2005, 07:57 PM
I usually buy from outlets/discount stores (Nordstrom Rack, Off 5th, Loehmann's, Marshall's, TJ Maxx) but I find that Theory, Laundry by Shelli Segal, and Cynthia Steffe are usually 34" inseam or longer.

08-03-2005, 02:09 PM
I get 34" inseam and have had great luck with Victoria's secret for jeans and work pants (I wait till they have a semi-annual sale and stock up) and I just ordered some new work pants from Chadwicks and was amazed that the Talls were TOO long!!! that was a first in my life.
I have a few pairs of J Crew and Banana Republic talls, but I like the fit and length of VS and the Chadwicks ones better

08-03-2005, 02:43 PM
Im not tall not even close but I have a best friend that is. I know she purchases all of her pants from the Buckle. She wears Silver jeans mostly. They come in long inseam. She is probably 6'0 and is a size 10. But she doesnt ever dry her jeans for fear they will shrink!

08-04-2005, 07:52 AM
I'm not qualified at 5'3" to answer from experience - but my very dear 6'2" college friend gets all her jeans from Victoria's Secret.

08-04-2005, 06:17 PM
I have a terrible time with jeans since I like my jeans to fit different then my dress pants but i have been lucky with trusty levi's (515 cut though) at jcpenney and kohls. My new favorite store, especially for pants and even their sweatpants are long, NY & Co. I love it. everything fits well in there and they always have coupons.

08-08-2005, 01:17 PM
I'm 5'11" and I've had good luck with Old Navy Talls. I also used to buy from NY & Co. until they went out of business here. :(

08-08-2005, 01:20 PM
NY&co for me too, I'm 5'10 with a "normal" size torso and long long long legs their pants always fit great and they aren't too expensive most at in the $30-45 range.

08-15-2005, 03:43 PM
I just bought a pair of Editors. I found them on eBay since the store here didn't have any in the tall sizes. Hopefully they'll fit. And we're getting a NY&Co soon so I"ll be sure to check it out once it opens!

09-05-2005, 11:58 PM
I recentley found pants long enough for me at Express and American Eagle. It's hard to find pants when you are 5'11", It sucks!

09-06-2005, 05:58 AM
I was going to suggest NY and Co, too! Usually I need a tall, but their average works for me in most of their pants. I get tall if I plan on wearing heels.