View Full Version : Plus sized swimsuits???

07-15-2005, 08:48 AM
Okay, I know that summer is half over, but I need a new swimsuit. We're going on a vacation in three weeks and I haven't even owned a suit for at least two years. I'm almost plus sized (in denial :rolleyes: ) , so bikinis are out of the question. I was wondering if anyone knew of where I could get a cute one piece suit? I obviously don't have time to order one off the internet, so if anyone knows what store I should go to--that would be wonderful.

Thanks a million!

07-15-2005, 10:04 AM
Liz Claiborne has fairly cute suits - I think up to 16/18 in misses - and they plus sizes (one pieces and tankini's)...I saw a bunch at Macy's when I was swim suit shopping last month. Nordstroms also tends to have tons of suits year round - including larger sizes...they aren't very on sale - but they have 'em!

Good luck - no one likes swim suit shopping ;)

07-15-2005, 10:14 AM
Target also has very cute suits in lots of sizes. Also, it may sound crazy but Walmart has had a bunch of decent ones lately. You may want to try there because the one here even has them on sale since it is season change in clothing right now.

07-15-2005, 10:19 AM
Hey Melanie-- We have the same name!!!! I don't usually meet many Melanie's--- Very cool! Thanks for the response. I've got today off, so I think I might try those places.

Thanks again.

07-15-2005, 10:21 AM
Wal Mart is where I got my new one. I dont buy them that often. But the one I had was in bad shape. So I had to go get a new one. I hate having to look for one when all you see are bikinis. But I found a cute one that is pretty decent.

07-16-2005, 06:32 AM
old navy has these cute tanikinis. If your anything like me, you're plus sized in the boobage area too. Their tankinis are full coverage and halter, and they are super figure flattering. I just like to wear a 2 piece because it's more comfortable, probably because i'm tall AND plus sized.

ETA: this one is really cute

07-17-2005, 02:54 PM
Ooo... I love that one. You said it's at Old Navy??? I've been looking there and I never seen it Like Kim said, all I've seen are bikinis.....Maybe I'll look again. I like how long the top looks. Thanks for the post!

07-18-2005, 06:32 PM
go to oldnavy.com. I got my swimsuit online and it came like 2 days beofre our honeymoon, and fit perfectly. Their measurments are very acurate. That one is on sale i think. OK, and now i feel like a real schmoo cuz i just went to the website and it says they are sold out. They had it in like 4 sizes when i looked yesterday :( . Well, there are other ones on there as well. I love their suits.

Call me crazy, but i might buy one of their maternity suits a size too small just because they are so damn cute.

07-20-2005, 02:08 PM
Any other online suggestions? Old Navy is sold out of the Plus Tankini. I need to find a swimsuit ASAP for a trip.

07-20-2005, 02:54 PM
Any other online suggestions? Old Navy is sold out of the Plus Tankini. I need to find a swimsuit ASAP for a trip.

07-20-2005, 05:40 PM
For in-store is there a Macys, JC Penney or Lord &Taylor near you? They should have swim suits on sale now.

However, for a vacation in 3 weeks you still have time to order on line. Trust me, I did it myself as I was horrified of trying on anything in the stores.
I ordered stuff from jcpenney.com and it came within a week.
Also, Lands End has some Tankinis that come in tons 'o sizes. Good luck.

07-22-2005, 02:40 PM
I don't know what your budget is, but I have a "miracle suit" from Eddie Bauer. It looks like this:

My favorite part is that it has an underwire, which is why I bought it.

There is also a tankini version, which I have been debating about ordering:

Or they have this "faux" tankini:

These all go up to size 16, but some of them have "plus" sizes if you need it.

Their shipping is pretty prompt; I recommend searching online for a coupon code before ordering, though. I can almost always find one for 10-20% off + free shipping.

07-22-2005, 03:03 PM
Thanks! The Eddie Bauer ones are really cute!

I got brave enough to try on my two suits from last summer --- and suprisingly, they still fit! :0)

07-23-2005, 06:42 AM
I've got an eddi bauer and JC penneys near me. My birthday is monday, so I'm waiting to see what kind of gifts i'm getting first. ( I know I sound pretentious, but I usually get some kind of giftcard from ILs and parents.)

05-29-2006, 08:32 PM
I'm looking for women's plus-sized swim shorts (or board shorts). Catherine's has a pair in their swim separates collection, but at $30, I want to be sure it's the best I can do. I'd also consider a roomy shortini set.

07-18-2006, 06:14 PM
Looking again this summer for cute swim suits.

I haven't been able to find anything at TJMaxx, Marshalls, etc.

07-18-2006, 06:17 PM
How about Lands End? Not super-cute, but they have some nice basics that cover everything that should be covered, without the dreaded "swim skirt" :).

07-18-2006, 06:20 PM

07-18-2006, 09:32 PM
Target, The Avenue, Torrid, Lane Bryant, JMS.com, Jessica London, Junonia, Figleaves.com, Spiegel. They're out there, you just have to look.