View Full Version : Quickie what-to-wear question

07-08-2005, 01:42 PM
On Monday I have an interview to volunteer at a politician's office. Do you think a (skirt) suit is okay? Or should I go slightly less formal, like a skirt or slacks and a nice blouse?
Alternatively, I could dress down the skirt suit with no hose and dressy sandals.

What do all you fashionistas have to say?

07-08-2005, 01:50 PM
I've always felt that it is better to be overdressed than underdressed.

In situations like yours, I often wear a suit with a nice tank underneath and take a cardigan with me that I can switch out with the jacket if I feel too out of place.

07-08-2005, 01:53 PM
I've always felt that it is better to be overdressed than underdressed....
Exactly what I was going to say. I would wear the skirt suit. It is always fine to wear a suit to an interview, even if the office is more casual.

07-08-2005, 02:14 PM
Thanks ladies! If someone had asked me that same question yesterday, I of course would have said the suit ... I'm not sure what that makes me (indecisive? not confident? something!), but I'm glad I have you ladies to ask :)

Thanks a bunch ... the suit it is.

Irish Elf
07-08-2005, 03:11 PM
One rule of thumb is that interviewers expect their applicants to be dressed more than they would be when working. SO if everyone is wearing jeans, interview in nice slacks.

I'm old school but I would never recommend interviewing in bare legs and sandals.