Recipe: Simple Harvest Grains
Are you ready to put that counter top steamer to work? Try this recipe as a tasty way to incorporate grains and vegetables into any meal. Make it as a side dish while you're preparing chicken or pork for an evening meal or a day or two ahead as a colorful addition to a potluck. It travels well, making it a great option for microwavable lunches, especially when paired with extra vegetables or fresh fruit.
Yields about eight 1/2-cup servings or four 1-cup lunch servings.
- 3/4 cup brown jasmine rice
- 1/4 cup wild rice
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup sliced baby carrots
- 1/2 cup broccoli crowns
- 1/3 cup walnuts or pine nuts
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Combine jasmine and wild rice and rinse well. Transfer to the bowl of a countertop steamer and add the broth or water. Set the timer for 45 minutes.
- When the timer goes off, allow the rice to stand while you microwave the carrots and broccoli in a microwave proof bowl with a sprinkle of water for 1-2 minutes. (You may opt to place the vegetables on top of the rice for the last 10-15 minutes of steaming, but be sure to use two kitchen mitts if you decide to remove the lid during cooking, as the vapors will be very hot.)
- Fluff rice with a fork and transfer to a mixing bowl. Stir in cooked carrots, broccoli, walnuts or pine nuts, and Parmesan cheese.
- Serve immediately or cool to serve later. If you're cooking ahead, wait to add the nuts at the last minute for maximum crunch.
For an especially nice presentation, reserve 1/4 cup of Parmesan cheese to sprinkle on top and place under the broiler for 2-3 minutes until the cheese melts and browns slightly.