Quantcast
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Silicone Baking pans?

Has anyone used silicone baking pans (squares, muffins pans, loaf pans, etc)? I am considering asking for a set for Christmas but wondered if they are good or not. Are there any special considerations when using silicone bakeware? Do you still have to use a non-stick spray with them? Do you have any that you recommend?

TIA!
    DS 7/21/05
    DD 5/1/07
    DD 4/2/13

I think it depends on the pan. I use my silicone muffin pans all the time, and I really love them. They're easy to use and the muffins bake really well in them. I only spray the pan if I'm making crustless quiches. The pans are a little unwieldy when full, so I always put them on a cookie sheet or pizza stone.

I've also had moderate success with my loaf pan and 8x8 thin, square pan. The cakes don't brown as well, and the texture of the crust is a little off. I still use them for some stuff, but not everything. I have a bundt cake pan, and I do not use it. The cake is not at all browned, a little flat on the top, and the detail of the pan doesn't show well.

We don't really like ours, and we have a TON that we got for wedding presents last year.
    I'm actually asking for new pans this year.

I have two round ones that I use for brownies and anything that might requite easy backing - fish sticks, biscuits, that sort of thing. I love how easy it is to clean, but the edges on my brownies always seem to a bit too done.

We have a round silicon cake pan and I love it It cooks great, it cools extremely quickly and it's really really easy to clean. I normally still butter it when I make cakes, and they come out perfectly every time and leave no mess (except if I forget to butter, not so great then ). I would love to get a muffin one, they look great. We also have a silicon pan holder. It's kitchenaid, and you just slot in your fingers and whatever you're taking out of the oven you're not going to feel. Protects you from the heat really really well.

I just got a huge set from a friend. I like the muffin pans and I use my square pan quite often as well. I haven't baked cakes yet, so I don't know how those will do.

I love the muffin pan and the square brownie pan I have. I'm not so much on the bigger pans just because I think they're more unweildy (even with a rack or carrier). I prefer a more structured larger pan for bundt cakes and the like.

Karen

I was really excited when I first got mine. I've got some bread pans, muffins and mini-muffins. The bread pans are a dismal failure- they are too flexible- the dough spreads rather than rises, they don't brown on top but burn the bottom. But, I've discovered a new use for them- soap. My DH makes our soap and they are perfect molds- we just slice bars off.

The mini muffin pans are great- they came with a rack that stabilizes them. I don't have much of an opinion on the regular muffins, I like my regular tins just as well. But both the muffin and mini-muffin pans are great molds for candles (and soaps). They come out so easily!

mrsface, i pm'd you for the soap recipe!

I've seen these in the store, and I've never bought one because they're so "floppy" -- with my clumsiness, I'd probably drop something when taking it out of the oven!