Quantcast

Default Over the counter progesterone????

Does over the counter progesterone exist and has anyone used it? I've miscarried the last 2 pregnancies (once at 7 weeks and once at 12 weeks). After the last one I was told to call and speak with one of the nurses. They would start blood work and order an early ultrasound. I got a BFP this morning. I called and the b*tch receptionist wouldn't let me talk to a nurse. She told me that there's nothing they can do if I m/c and that she'd just give me a sooner appt than the standard 8 weeks. I have an appt on Oct. 25th, but feel helpless just waiting. I know a lot of women are put on progesterone, and wondered if there was any over the counter stuff and if anyone's tried it. To top things off, I'm seeing the doc I hate.

I don't know about progesterone, but I answered you in the other thread...
    Ashley & Doug 6/28/03
    Danielle Judith 12/15/04 David Landen 8/3/06 Andrew Douglas 3/6/09

I would call back. With 2 miscarriages I would think the doctor would want to monitor you more carefully. They should give you a blood test for HCG levels and a progesterone test to see if that's the problem because they can prescribe progesterone if it's low. I don't know anything about OTC progesterone. I was put on progesterone suppositories because my progesterone was around 11ish. The supps get the progesterone to be absorbed in the uterus where it's really needed. I was able to go in for a blood test at 12 DPO-maybe they took me because of my age (35)? But at 5 weeks I had spotting and they were still very nice (receptionist, nurses, doctor) and ordered early ultrasounds until I saw the heartbeat.
    Call back and demand that you need a bloodtest and make sure when you finally talk to a doctor or nurse you alert them just how rude their help is. I wasn't always put through to a nurse, but she always called me back.
    Congrtaulations on your BFP!
    Nathan Christopher arrived on 2/7/06 9lbs 14oz

ITA with everything glensgirl posted. If I were in your position, I would make that a priority before resorting to using prog cream.

I started using OTC prog cream to help lengthen my luteal phase (which were always 10 days) the cycle before I got pregnant. I continued using it the next cycle (when I got pg) and kept using it through my 10th week of pregnancy. When I had a blood test to confirm pregnancy (13 DPO), my progesterone was 34.5. I'm not really sure if that's b/c of the cream or if I never really had a problem with low progesterone (like I thought I might b/c of my short LPs). Here is the progesterone I used (from drugstore.com):

That's my experience. I hope you're able to get in touch with your doctor and/or nurse soon!
    J&J ~ 10.25.03
    DD ~ 01.17.06
    DS ~ 04.09.09

Thanks so much for your replies ladies. I'm headed out of town for the weekend, and am just going to forget about everything for the weekend. I work with a lady who will be here Monday who's husband is an OB. I'm going to get an opinion from her before pressing the issue.
    I will certainly complain next time I call. I've thought about fibbing a little to get through to the nurse. We'll see.

The OTC progesterone is a very low dosage compared to the prescription. I seem to remember it's about 25 or 30mg? And it's applied topically, so it's not all going to where it needs to go (the uterus). For comparison, my prescription progesterone was 200mg, and applied in a solid, slow absorbing form on the uterus (the cervix), so most of it was absorbed there. So to me there's a big difference between the two forms of it!

Who knows if it will prevent a miscarriage, since there's a lot of debate on that, but I understand wanting to do anything you can! I'd really push for your Dr to listen to you about this, or else get a 2nd opinion from another Dr.