Quantcast
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Default Stripping Membranes/When Did Labor Start?

I'm 38 weeks pregnant and my doctor talked to me about stripping my membranes at my 39 week appointment. If you had your membranes stripped, did this put you into labor and if so, how long after did you have the baby?

I don't know if I really want to have it done, if it isn't proven to get things going.

I had my membranes stripped on Wednesday and it did nothing but loosen my plug and cause cramping.

I asked my doctor about this last week, I wondered if it was an option for me. She said they don't usually strip membranes because for the majority of women (especially first time moms) it isn't that effective. GREAT, guess that leaves me with all the other induction method options.
    Us 03.03
    Big Sister 10.05
    Baby Brother 01.08

They stripped my membranes at an afternoon appointment. That evening I thought I was leaking a bit. At 4 am, I had a gush. That put me on the clock and when I failed to progress, interventions started. When my DS didn't respond well to the epi, I ended up with a c/s. In hindsight, I wouldn't have had my membranes stripped. I had them done at almost 40 weeks.
    My Projects - House stuff, sewing, gardening, etc....
    #1 - Andrew Wyatt, our angel #2 - Nora Grace (8/06) - our VBAC rainbow baby, #3 - Joshua Edward (9/08) - another VBAC, #4 - Charlotte Jane(2/11)

I went in at 39 weeks and had my membranes stripped at 11:30 AM on a Monday. I was also between 2-3 cm dialated and the baby was very low. The dr. said that I was very close on my own to going into labor, but he wanted to jumpstart it because I had been having some high blood pressures. I started having cramps and small contractions within an hour or two of having the membranes stripped. I had regular contractions around 7 PM that night, but it ended up being false labor. The next night, Tuesday around 7:30 PM I went into real labor and had DD at 10:30 AM Wednesday morning.
    My Dr. said that if stripping your membranes "works", labor will happen within 48 hours and it did for me. I'm now pg with #2 and I would do it all over again too. DD ended being 8 lbs 13 oz and I'm not sure if I could have handled her being in there much longer! Good luck! It doesn't hurt as much as it sounds.

With DD #1, I had them stripped at 38 weeks (nothing happened) and again at 39 weeks. I went into labor the night after they were stripped the second time.

With DD #2, I had them stripped at 36 weeks (nothing), again at 37 weeks (nothing) and was then induced at 38 weeks.

*The doc started so early with #2 because I had been measuring 2 weeks ahead since 20 weeks. When DD was born at 38 weeks, she already weighed 7 lbs 13 oz, and was very healthy. I don't think my doc would have started stripping so early had she not been measuring so big.*
    ~Married 8/31/02~Tallia 1/14/03~Abigail 7/26/05~
    ~Eden 12/7/07~

I had my membranes stripped last week (38 weeks) and it just gave me lots of cramps, some bloody show, and loosened more of my mucus plug.
    Ben and Lorene * 6.17.03
    Lucas Joseph * 10.14.05
    Baby * Due 5.5.08

I had mine stripped the day before my due date (a Wednesday afternoon) and my water broke on Saturday night, around 11pm. I definitely think it helped get the show on the road.
    Scott & Alicia 2-21-04
    Gabrielle Kathleen (Abbey) 5-29-05
    Curren Scott 3-5-09

Mine were stripped at my 38 week appointment on a Friday - mucous plug started going on Sunday/Monday - water broke Tuesday night.

I definately think it helped.

And I think psychologically it helped me know that 'relief' was near.
    Nothing to see here, move along.

Within 48 hours my water broke. I don't know if it had to do w/ the membrane stripping or being almost 2 weeks late though!
    LJ

Hokie since 1998, wife since 2001, mom since 2005