Quantcast
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Curtains for the cold weather?

Are there certain kinds of curtains that you can buy that will help your house retain heat better? With the cost of natural gas this year, I think we should probably invest in some good curtains to cover the windows. Usually I make curtains just out of cotton fabric, but are there some fabrics that will keep the cold out better? Is something better than nothing?

We have a sun room that needs curtains completely, along with our bedroom. Every other room in the house had cotton curtains, except the dining room with shears. Should I have a summer and winter "batch" of curtains?

Any links or ideas are very much appreciated!
    Thanks!

I find that curtains most certainly make a difference, even in a newer house with good windows. I personally think that any kind of heavy fabric works, just depending on the style of yoru home. Most of my winter curtains are lined velvet.

I have bought special insulated curtains for my living room & dining area. We didn't have them last year, so I'll be interested to see if it affects our heating bills! They feel a bit stiffer and less drapey than normal curtains, but they look fine.

I got them at linensource.com - search for "weaver's cloth" curtains. BUT I had a lot of trouble with their quality control and wouldn't recommend them for that reason!! (Eventually I got what I wanted, but only after many returns).

Another place I thought of getting them was www.countrycurtains.com (search on "insulated") but they didn't have the size I needed.

I think JC Pennys has them too.

You can also buy a liner to add to the back of any other curtains I think. The insulation is nice, though, because it's a backing that is totally attached.

Do you have any links to those curtain liners? Maybe this would work so I can still have light curtains for the sun to shine through, but then I could just remove them for the summer... hmm....

When I search for window curtain liners, all I can find are shower liners. I haven't seen those in the stores.

I think that would work! Try going to www.countrycurtains.com and searching for the word "insulated" (I don't know how to do links on this messageboard).

Also I think JC Penny's sells the same type of thing. Maybe they'd have other size options.

Awesome. Thanks! I'm going to head out to my JCPenneys Home Store tomorrow and see if I can find something like that. It really helps to know what I'm looking for! Now I can have more freedom of what colors I use and such! Whoo hoo! I hope it will help our heating costs this winter. We really need a new furnace, but I'm hoping that these small changes will help us save some $$$ this year.

You should be able to find an insulated drapery liner at a fabric store (one with home decor, like JoAnns or something). If the liner is white, you could probably keep it permanent, b/c it will reflect heat back out in the summer.
    She'd be his wife and make him her husband 5/03Ds1 12/22/09...Ds2 8/31/12

i have just done a search for curtains and found that if you key word "thermal curtains" you will get better results. we are looking to get thermal curtains for our bedroom bc it is so darn cold in their in the winter.

We bought some of these curtains last year from JC Penney. Definitely made a difference. We live in a townhouse that I swear has no insullation whatsoever; we need all the help we can get in keeping it warm in here.

leslie - we live in a townhouse too and i feel the insulation is horrible. it feels like the arctic upstairs. we actually thought something was wrong with our heater, so we called in heating guys twice and they said nothing is wrong. they just said the upstairs just tends to get colder in our house. that's why i am looking into the thermal curtains.