Quantcast
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Cost of Finishing a Basement

Hi Ladies!! I was wondering if those of you out there that have finished your basement would mind sharing about how much it cost to do so. We have approximately 1400 square feet, but would only finish about 1200 of it. With regards to finishing it I would just want one big open space, but no drop ceilings per DH's orders.

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated! R
    Setting Sail...

Together 1/24/98 Engaged 12/24/01 Married 10/04/03

Hi Reebs! We finished our 400-500 square foot basement and spent between $10-$15K. It was my husband's father who did the work for us, so that's likely a significant discount. If you have any more specific questions, I'm happy to ask him.

Quote Originally Posted by Reebs
    With regards to finishing it I would just want one big open space, but no drop ceilings per DH's orders.
    Reebs - I don't know anything about the cost of finishing a basement but I can tell you about the ceiling. We have a finished basement in our TH (done when it was built) - and while the ceiling looks great, I have recently learned why it's not a good idea to have a finished ceiling in your basement. We're having some work done with our HVAC pipes - and if we had a drop ceiling getting to them would be no porblem. Instead, we had to cut through our finished ceiling and will need to have it repaired.

Our contractor and HVAC person both side that's why NOT to have a finished ceiling in basement. (even though it does look good)

Just something to consider - I'm sure others have had different experiences.
    Robyn & Scott - August 29, 2004
    * SM - July 17, 2007 *
    * BH - APRIL 14, 2010 *

Our townhouse has about an 800 sq ft basement that we had finished by the builder. It was about $11,000 - sheet rock (the ceiling too), paint, carpet, recessed lighting. I think it was a fantastic investment because it made the space truly liveable and increased the total square footage of our home - without the finished basement, this TH would have been way too small! Good luck!!

When you say finish your basement - what are you all thinking about?

DH and I plan to finish our basement, but we also want to install a full bathroom and a wet bar. That will increase our costs (not too significantly as I have family members who can get the materials cheap and do the labor for free).

If you were thinking of a bathroom/wetbar that will definitely increase. If you just want an additional room (read: drywalled, carpeted, etc) then the costs would be different.
    Kidlet 1 - 8/06
    Kidlet 2 - 7/09
    Kidlet 3 - 12/12

pilots wife - ita with you about a finished basement make a small home more livable. though in ny, you are not allowed to include basements as sq footage.

Reebs - How much plumbing? Like Chimichanga said, having a bathroom and/or wet bar would most definitely increase your prices.

For the size you mentioned with no plumbing, I'd guesstimate about $20k not including your flooring. That number would include framing, electrical, drywall, finishing (baseboards, door trim, etc.) and painting.

To add a full bath add about $9k, half bath $5k depending on what your current plumbing situation is.
    Cake or Death?

Also, I don't know if the price of permit and such are figured into the numbers - around here, it costs almost $6000 just in permits to finish a basement.
    James & Jennifer - 12.18.04 ~~ Little Man - July 2006 ~~ Big Little Sister - April 2009 ~~ Little Dude - May 2011; my Mother's Day gift!

Quote Originally Posted by nuhmah
    Also, I don't know if the price of permit and such are figured into the numbers - around here, it costs almost $6000 just in permits to finish a basement.
    Reebs - This number seemed awfully high to me so I asked my DH about permits and costs. Obviously, I don't know where nuhmah lives, but in my area the only construction project that's going to have permits that are that expensive would be a full-on addition. Like adding a new room or level to your house or extending the home's foundation, etc.

For finishing a basement, you don't even really need a permit. Your home is solitary enough that you don't have to worry about an inspector just driving by, seeing the work in progress and demanding to see a permit. Plus, pulling a permit will alert the county that you're improving your home. That means they will reassess your real estate value and your real estate taxes will be increased. Counties loooove making more money this way.
    Cake or Death?

WOW, thank you all for the excellent input. You ladies are so smart.

kris, thanks so much. you are always so helpful! Does you DH's father travel to MD??

Robyn, good point with the access issue. That is certainly something important to take into consideration. My sister did a drop ceiling I think for that exact reason.

Pilot, we had a finished basement in our TH too. just berber carpeting and the painted sheetrock, but boy was it nice! I miss that large extra space. In the winter we'd throw the ball for our dog down there!

Chimichanga, you got me! We also want to install a full bath and full blown wet bar. How much do you think that would add? We are hoping we can save money by using DH's godfather's help. He owns a construction firm and would give us a good deal on sheetrocking (actually DH's godbrother could do it) and we could get the items for a bathroom at a discount as well. But we still need to do a rough-in for the toilet, tub, sink etc., all the lighting. God, it is adding up!

reb, even if it is finished you can't include it? That doesn't seem quite fair. Maybe that's how it is here. A lot of times you hear "2800 square feet on 2 levels and 100 square feet of finished basement". Maybe that isn't all that strange. But still unfair!!

Peachy, yeah, we want a full bath and a wetbar. I am hoping to be able to do some of it ourselves. My Dad is extremely handy, he built their house! He would be more than willing to help. I guess I'd also be interested in figuring out how much supplies would cost separately from labor.

nuhmah, oh my, I totally forgot out permits. What is the requirement for a permit. I always thought it was if you add a new structure. But even finishing a basement requires permits? Excellent point!

Thank you all so much for the info.
    Setting Sail...

Together 1/24/98 Engaged 12/24/01 Married 10/04/03