Quantcast
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Default Do you wear a size 12, 14 or 16? I need your help!

I am hovering around a size 14 as I have been for years now. I always feel like I am just a little too heavy to look good in clothes. I feel dumpy and fat 95% of the time. I never buy anything hip or cute anymore, just things to try and "hide" in.

If you wear a size 12-16 what do you wear? Or what would you wear? I am fairly large busted (38D) and I have a big gut like I am pregnant I'm about 5' 7" and weigh about 170lbs. Anyone else out there? Someone get me back in some cute clothes!!

I wear a size 16 (14 in some stores). Wearing cute clothes does make me feel better about how I look. But of course, being a 10 or a 12 would be even better! Wearing big clothes, only makes you look bigger! Especially t-shirts!!!!! Finding nice things that fit and are cut well can not only make you look good but feel better.

I invested in some basics that fit well. These are my favorites:

Jeans: Gap Original Bootcut or Gap Straight Ultra Low Rise Boot Cut, they both go up to size 20.

Black Pants: INC (Macys, they have a regular line and woman's), Gap Modern Fit Flare, NY&Company

White Shirt: Brooks Brothers, Gap, Old Navy, JCrew

Blazers: Old Navy, Gap.

Flare skirts are in this season and are great for covering up stomachs! I have a plain white one (Style from Macys) and a Pink one (NY&Company), and then some print ones from Old Navy. For casual wear, I'll pair them with a tank top or a t shirt and for work, a sweater or a tank and a cardigan. I also love to layer- tank tops under t shirts (girl sized!) or long sleeve shirts, v necks, button down shirts, etc. Blazers with tops underneath are nice with dress pants or jeans. I know having a large chest is often a big hindernce in buying clothes (I think the only reason I can shop at the gap is because I'm small chested!) but Lane Bryant's clothes and Target's woman lines are really cut well for a larger chest! Good luck
    I took a chance to follow my heart and it led me to yours.

I was just about to come in and post what Brandy posted--don't hide! Get clothes that FIT!

One of my best friends is 5'4" and a size 14-16 and she carries it off like nobody's business. She loves the Max Studio line (maxstudio.com) and raves about its cut for larger sizes; almost all her clothes come from there in a size 14 or XL and she always looks fantastic. Don't be afraid to go wild with high heels, either. Hope that helps!

Ann Taylor and Ann Taylor Loft have a great selection of fashionable clothing. The store is a bit on the pricey side but if you wait until they have their huge sale you can get most things 75% off.

I second Old Navy and Gap. You just have to find clothes that fit your body type and accent the parts you want to show off. Good luck and HAVE FUN SHOPPING!!
    ~Liz~

Thanks girls. I usually DREAD shopping and just end up feeling bad about myself in the dressing room. Honestly, I would gladly pay $100 for pants from Ann Taylor that I felt good in. Maybe I need to just go and try on every pair in the store.

I know how it's hard to find pants that fit. I wear around a 12-13 and pack most of it in my hips. It is so hard to find things that will fit around my hips and be long enough too. I absolute hate shopping for pants and to this day have one one pair that I truely love how they fit. I also reccommend Old Navy and have found that jeans from EXpress are great, however a little spendy.

Take a friend for encouragement and moral support then find the nicest looking saleswoman in the store and try everything on!! That is the only reason I found the gap jeans because I told a saleswoman I didn't know what I wanted and she took one look at me and grabbed jeans I'd never try on and sent me on my way. Another vote for Ann Taylor Loft- so nice!
    I took a chance to follow my heart and it led me to yours.

I'm a size 12 and carry it ALL in my hips. But if there's one piece of advice I could pass along, it's this: when you go shopping, try on a little bit of EVERYTHING that you like, not just what you think you'll look good in. When I did this for the first time, I was shocked that I could look good in cuts and styles I thought would look hideous on me. And it became crystal clear that the style of pants I had been wearing for about 5 years was just plain WRONG for my body type. Everyone at the office thought I had lost 10 instant pounds just by changing the cut of my pants!

And I know this might sound a little strange, but if you have cable TV, I'd recommend catching a few episodes of "What Not to Wear" on TLC. Not only is it fun to watch, but the people they dress on that show have real bodies and real body issues. I learned so many things from that show, I even find myself thinking as I shop, "What would Clinton and Stacey think?" (They're the hosts of the American version... )

Good luck -- it is frustrating, but it can also be a lot of fun!

~ Kay
    K+T: 7/9/05
    Baby R: 1/25/08

I'm so glad I read this.

I have just started losing weight (down about 15 pounds and a dress size) and now I need a new pair of jeans. I'm going to hold off on buying alot of clothes, but I think a new pair of jeans is essential.

I never realized that GAP went up to a size 20 (I need an 18 right now) and am thrilled to find out. I normally don't go into 'normal' sized stores, as I find it too hard on my self esteem. But now that I know I can get a pair at the GAP, here I come.

Oprah talked about a specific pair of GAP jeans (I think they were Long and Lean) and I've been dying to get a pair, now I can. Thanks...and keep any other clothing tips for bigger women coming.
    Aaron and Kim ~ Married 09/03/04
    Miracle Boy #1 ~ A BOY Born 06/10/06
    Miracle #2 ~ A GIRL Expected 08/23/08

Default Went shopping today!

I went to the Ann Taylor Loft and got some pants! I tried on a bunch and it turns out the "Laura" style fits pretty well. I got black, brown and grey. There were some nice tweeds there too, but I dropped $240 on the 3 pairs of pants so I figured I'd better stop there.

I tried on some tops but didn't have as good luck. My middle is kind of rolly and if a shirt is too thin or doesn't have enough form then you can see my rolls. Not attractive. Any suggestions on tops?

I also went to the Gap intending to try on every jean, but I ran out of energy! I did try the long and lean style which everyone seems to like, but I just wasn't sure so I didn't get it.