Quantcast
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Should curtains go to the floor?

I have a bedroom window that is basically a 4x4 foot square, right in the middle of the wall. The bottom of the window is about 3 feet from the ground. Should the curtains hang past the bottom of the window a few inches or should they go all the way to the floor? The curtains will be regular bedroom curtains, not cafe type curtains like you'd see in the kitchen.

eta: we don't have kids or pets, and we aren't going to have/get them.
    Last edited by DiscoDiva; 09-13-2005 at 11:13 AM.
    "I am no skillful avoid gathering the people together, except when there was occasion, and received." ~ SPAM email

I think it depends on personal preferences. I've seen Candace Olson from Divine Design use full-length drapes on a small window to give the illusion of a big window (but then the drapes have to stay closed all the time). I am thinking of using shorter drapes for the window in the future nursery because I don't want a toddler pulling on the drapes if they're all the way down to the floor. Good luck making the decision.
    Married 6.22.02 DD1 5.12.06 & DD2 6/4/09!

I'm not sure that there's a right or wrong answer to your question, but I think that full length curtains are the way to go - especially in the bedroom. I think they look more elegant, whereas shorter curtains look more casual to me. And in the bedroom, I would go for elegant.

Just my $.02

I personally am a fan of full length curtains. We have a window in our bedroom that doesn't go all the way to the floor, so we put a cedar chest underneath it and pillows on the top (it's sort of a window seat for the cat now). There are white wooden blinds on the windows, covered by curtains. the curtains go all the way to the floor and get pulled back during the day, then closed behind the chest at night.

Karen

I think it just depends on the style of your house, also. Our house is very much 'colonial style' (circa 1820), but with shorter frame windows. Shorter curtains with valances just work nicely with our decor. In our formal dining room, and the study, we do have floor length curtains--the rest of the house I have valances and cafe curtains. Sort of a 'Cape Cod' look we have, I guess.

We have a few windows that have window seats flush to the window, so long curtains wouldn't work there anyway. Our neighbors down the street have a beautiful Victorian, with windows that are HUGE--nearly cover the entire ceiling to floor length, and they of course have all long curtains. I'm kind of jealous of those windows, actually.

As for the OP's 4 x 4 window, I don't think I'd like the look of floor length curtains with that. BUT if you put something under the window (like a small end table), and used the floor length curtains....it might help bring everything together.

Depends on if you have kids or not. (Or want them eventually.) Floor length curtains are a disaster with babies and toddlers.
    Emily mom to Noah - 4/04 & Daniel - 9/07

We had curtains that went to the floor until my 2 year old pulled them down, we now have shorter curtains to solve this problem.
    Last edited by Anitsiva; 09-14-2005 at 05:08 AM.

I vote for full length.

I love full length curtains, but I am not a fan of the huge "pools" that some designers do with the bottoms of them.
    James & Jennifer - 12.18.04 ~~ Little Man - July 2006 ~~ Big Little Sister - April 2009 ~~ Little Dude - May 2011; my Mother's Day gift!

We have curtains on the floor in our living room. They make little puddles. Now this wasn't the plan, I'm just lazy and not much of a sewer. The window has 2 curtains, the heavy fabric one (accent curtain) hangs on the floor, the other curtain does not.

We don't have kids, but we do have a cat and a dog. The cat likes to hide behind them.
    babygirl 10-29-07
    baby sister 7-17-11