Quantcast
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Beginning runner questions

1. Should I try to follow some sort of training plan, or just do what feels right?

2. Will my lungs stop burning soon? My muscles are starting to forgive me, but my lungs are still pissed.

3. Will my breathing be easier to regulate once my lung capacity increases?

4. I got a sports bra for my front, but I feel like I could use one for my jiggly butt, as well. Do I need compression shorts or something?

Shelby - I totally recommend the couch to 5k plans. I had always tried to learn to run on my own and always gave up or got injured. I started couch to 5k and it's been soooo much better. It's a run walk program. I use the free app from Zen Labs - a very nice woman tells you when to walk and run. She also tells you when you're halfway . I can listen to a podcast or music at the same time (nice lady breaks in with her instructions briefly).

I started a thread for couch to 5k newbies like me -- come join us if you're interested.

Thanks! Just downloaded the app.

I think you do what you think will help you stick with running. As an adult, I found what works for me re: workout plans is doing my own thing. I find I get more enjoyment and dread it less if I can set my own goals and make my own rules. An acquaintance who is starting to run told me she didn't care for the C25K program she tried because it is based off time and not distance. She found that running, say, a half mile without stopping was much more enjoyable than running for 5 straight minutes. Same result but different mindset.

My method was to go outside and run as far as I could. Running was always hard for me and I never thought I'd be able to build the cardiovascular strength but I stayed with it because I knew I was getting a good workout. There was a lot of stopping and walking at first but eventually I got where I built up a good base of 3-4 mile runs. I found once I was able to run that far comfortably, it was really easy to add mileage and if I have to stop running I can pick that distance back up without feeling like I want to die.
    C 3/21/07
    It's a girl! D 8/3/11

I did Couch to 5k before and it's good to get started, but I found I preferred to be more flexible and now I walk when I feel the need but try and run just a bit longer than I really want to/think I can each time. Yes, your lungs will catch up with your muscles - I had the same issue and still do when it's cold outside! I have the jiggle problem in my belly and I love compression shorts, capris and tights (for the winter). There are a boatload of brands out there but my personal favorite is CW-X - pricey and VERY tight but I have found them to be the best for me. I wear a 12-14 in street clothes and I have four pairs of their bottoms, all in large (just for reference). They're a real PITA to get on and off but I feel so much better running in them than regular spandex-type shorts.
    J&D 3/1/03

Quote Originally Posted by ShelbyMay View Post
    1. Should I try to follow some sort of training plan, or just do what feels right?

2. Will my lungs stop burning soon? My muscles are starting to forgive me, but my lungs are still pissed.

3. Will my breathing be easier to regulate once my lung capacity increases?

4. I got a sports bra for my front, but I feel like I could use one for my jiggly butt, as well. Do I need compression shorts or something?
    1. I would go with what feels right for you. I'm a long time runner, and I like the structure of having a training plan so I constantly have a calendar with my runs written out. halhigdon.com has lots of training plans for all different distances and levels from walker to advanced.

2. Lungs will feel better as you gain more cardiovascular fitness.

3. Your breathing really shouldn't be too ragged. If it is, then you are going too fast for your fitness level. You should be able to hold a conversation when you are running at comfortable pace.

4. You don't need compression shorts. If you feel like you want them, then you can get them. True compression shorts are expensive. You might not want to invest in them right away because not everyone finds them comfortable. You might want to start with some running capris or running tights that are a bit less expensive and see how those work first before dropping the money for compression gear.

I have some questions to tack on to this thread, specifically about trail running. My son has joined a local cross country team (which I am so happy about because I think it is the perfect fit for him). At workouts (3 times/week on trails) parents run with the kids at his age (he's 7). DH goes, but I went for the first time last week. I NEVER EXERCISE so it was hard on me, but fun and I'm already looking forward to going again. I am just slightly beyond my 7 y/o's pace.

Anyway, I need some gear. I have good running shoes and a good bra, but I need a way to carry my iPhone, keys and water. I'd also always like to have a BandAid with me. What is everyone's favorite gear?

I also need suggestions for him and his water. A lot of the older kids just hold a water bottle, but he doesn't like to do that and wanted me to carry his, and I am wondering if I should get my son a waist or arm thing for some water?

Also, is there any particular reason to get "running shorts" or is any comfy exercise gear fine?

I don't know what kind of distance you are running. I would think not TOO long becuase of the age of the kids?? But I often use, a camelbak like this one for shorter (less than 10 mile) runs. I don't really like it for longer runs because I tend to notice it more when I get tired, but for shorter runs it works great for me. Camelback has a lot of different styles and water carrier sizes so you can figure out what works best for you. It should take care of the carry all aspect.
    http://shop.camelbak.com/delaney/d/1251_c_130_cl_3513

If you're comfy in regular workout clothes then stick with that. I'm a whatever works for you type of runner. When I do races I see people wearing clothes that I just can't imagine running in, but I'm sure they're thinking the same of me. I almost always do runs in under armour capris but on hot days I do a running skirt, because I don't like th risk of the ride up that occurs with shorts, so I'm just more comfy in those. Again, for me, a lot of what I wear depends on the distance I'm trying to acheive.
    Married 10/16/04
    "If our thoughts are worth a penny, what are our dreams worth?"

I wear my ipod in a cheap armband thing and it works great - I bought it on amazon for about $5. When I drive to a run I usually put just my car key in my shorts pocket - you might want to pick up some shorts that have a small inner pocket. I tend to just run in whatever clothes are comfortable -- old t-shirts, cheap shorts etc... I'm not a fan of those wicking shirts because I think they stink immediately

I used to wear a waist water holder which is one option. At TJ Maxx the other day I saw one that wraps around your hand - I thought that was sort of neat but I don't know if it would get annoying.

Here's one: http://www.amazon.com/FuelBelt-Sprin...d_sim_sbs_sg_3

What a fun thing to do with your son!

I have one of the hand held ones. I hate it, I find the sloshing water annoying. Also, it makes my right arm tired because it's heavier when full, which also kind of throws off my stride a bit. So, I find myself drinking it so it will be lighter but then I'm out of water by the time I really need it. However, I know they are popular so I guess it's worth a try if these issues wouldn't bother you.
    Married 10/16/04
    "If our thoughts are worth a penny, what are our dreams worth?"