Quantcast

Default Getting rid of rotten potato smell

Quite possibly the most disgusting thing I have ever had to deal with -- we somehow had a rotten, liquefying potato in one of our kitchen cabinets that I discovered this evening. I will spare you the details, but unless this has happened to you you probably don't know or need to know just how putrid this is.

Anyway, I have thoroughly cleaned (scrubbed, Cloroxed, sprayed, wiped, etc.) the cabinet, removed everything that was in there, and it looks cosmetically cleaner but the smell is still permeating the whole kitchen. I read online that one strategy is to liberally sprinkle baking soda in the area and then crumple clean, dry newspapers, fill the cabinet, and close the doors. So that is what we are currently trying.

If that doesn't work, I also read we can paint the impacted shelf over with an oil-based paint and that will seal the odor into the wood.

Has anyone had this happen to them and been successful at getting rid of the smell?

Thank you in advance!
    Last edited by cactus; 07-06-2012 at 07:43 PM.
    Leo 12/5/08 ...and Ivy 7/26/12

Don't have any advice, but you have my sympathy. When I was in college, one of my roommates let a pumpkin rot in our room and it became a battle of wills for any of us to remove it- we were hoping the girl who brought the pumpkin in would take care of it so we just let it sit until it liquified then we finally demanded she take care of it. Fortunately it was sitting on tile, so the smell didn't last too long once it was removed.

It sounds like you have done all you can do and maybe it just needs to air out for awhile?
    Baby Boy 1- 2008
    Baby Boy 2- 2011!

a small drinking island with a fishing problem

My smom's trick is to put vanilla on a paper towel and place it in the stinky area for a day or two.
    Chloe 8/2010 Oliver 7/2012
    At the beach life is different. Time doesn't move hour to hour, but mood to moment.
    We live by the currents, plan by the tides and follow the sun.

Last year I got an antique library card catalog (something I had long wanted for storing art supplies) which I loved, but it had a funky smell. I put charcoal in the stinky drawers for a week or so, and it pretty much got rid of it. I have heard that charcoal can absorb a multitude of odors, so it might be worth a shot. I think I've read that cat litter can also absorb odors but I've never tried it.
    Married 07/15/04 :: Mia London 10/08/06