Quantcast
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Both of my parents are school admins as well and bullying is a huge deal in their schools. A big part of the problem is proof. A parent can contact the school 100 times but if it is just word of mouth, they can't just move the reported kid to another school. My mom's school has asked for help numerous times from the police without getting it, parents have asked for help from the police as well. They need laws in place and law enforcement support in a lot of these cases.

Quote Originally Posted by dragonfly_71 View Post
    I don't have any personal experience with this but it would appear that a bully's free and appropriate education may need to include a move to a different classroom/program/ school in order to keep it appropriate. If a child is consistently exhibiting a behavior that compromises other children's free and appropriate education and this behavior is severe enough that it can't be extinguished or at least controlled by school personnel in the current setting, that would be an indication the current setting isn't appropriate for that child and the child needs to be moved.
    As a person who works in the education field, I agree with you...however, our hands our tied in certain situations. We address bullying in our school VERY QUICKLY but have advised parents to seek police help when they feel it is escalating or it is happening on the computer/phone/texts/etc. It is very very difficult for schools!!

Oh I definitely appreciate how difficult this is for all parties. I just don't like the idea of using the bully's right to a "free and appropriate education" as an excuse for leaving the bully where he is and telling the victim he/she needs to move if the need for one or the other to move arises.

Quote Originally Posted by dragonfly_71 View Post
    Oh I definitely appreciate how difficult this is for all parties. I just don't like the idea of using the bully's right to a "free and appropriate education" as an excuse for leaving the bully where he is and telling the victim he/she needs to move if the need for one or the other to move arises.
    Where it becomes even MORE difficult is if the bully has a diagnosis of a disability...which they usually do (emotional disturbance, mental disorder, etc). The school is NOT able to place them into another situation without a lot of paperwork and legwork. The school can be sued and is usually sued. The parents/child win the case and a HUGE amount of money from the school which today's schools just don't have...it is a very sticky situation!!

Here's another interesting case.

Teen Expelled For Bringing Stun Gun To School (CNN)

A gay teenager who pulled a stun gun on students he said bullied him has been expelled from his Indianapolis high school until January.

"While the district does not condone bullying, it also does not allow weapons to be brought on our school campuses for any reason," a spokeswoman for Indianapolis Public Schools said Tuesday. "Students who violate this rule will be held accountable."

Darnell "Dynasty" Young's mother sent her 17-year-old son to school with a stun gun because, she said, administrators didn't do enough to stop the bullying against him.
    and
    "I brought the stun gun 'cause I wasn't safe," the teen said.

After six other students surrounded him at school on April 16, calling him names and threatening to beat him up, Young pulled the stun gun from his backpack. He raised it in the air, setting off an electric charge, and sending the group scurrying, Young said.
    This is what the Principal had to say, which to me is absolutely the wrong response in every single way.

Young is known as a flamboyant dresser and Larry Yarrell, the Tech principal, said school staff had been trying to get him to "tone down" his accessories.

"If you wear female apparel, then kids are kids and they're going to say whatever it is that they want to say," Yarrell told The Star. "Because you want to be different and because you choose to wear female apparel, it may happen. In the idealistic society, it shouldn't matter. People should be able to wear what they want to wear."

I cannot believe the principal said that! So following that logic, if any female student wears provocative clothing and gets sexually assaulted then it was that girl's own fault. She should have toned it down because boys will be boys. Wow, just wow.

Wow. It sounds like the student was actually being smart in that situation. The school wasn't protecting him, he used a stun gun instead of a real one, and in a very tense situation he had the sense to discharge it into the air instead of at anyone. Result: he stood up for himself without hurting anyone.

That's great the school is taking a stand. It's about time someone stood up for the bullies and blamed the victim. How refreshing.

Yep - he was just asking for it wasn't he? The principal sounds like an idiot and a homophobe.

I guess that student should have just waited around and allowed the group of kids to beat the crap out of him and maybe even kill him. How thoughtless of that kid to stand up for himself.

ETA: More unhandled bullying leads to tragedy. Heartbreaking. Major school fail here.
    Bullying blamed in teen's suicide
    Last edited by MsPeachy; 05-09-2012 at 06:49 AM.
    Cake or Death?