Quantcast
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default What can I give my 3 yr old for a cold??

My family has been passing around the same cold (cough, runny nose, sneezing) for about a month now. So far I've just been treating DS (3yrs old) with children's Claritin which usually worked, but tonight he really seems to feel miserable. Lots of coughing (which sometimes makes him gag) and sneezing. His voice is also really scratchy. I've given him Claritin, rubbed his chest with Vick's, and have a Vick's plug-in vaporizor in his room. Is there any OTC medicine for a 3 year old? I briefly looked at cough syrups at CVS a few weeks ago but the few I picked up said for ages 6 and up. Surely there has to be something out there for little kids!
    Baby Boy 1- 2008
    Baby Boy 2- 2011!

We tried Maty's Natural Cough Syrup for our son. It's made from natural ingredients including buckwheat honey. DS only took it a few times but it seemed to help a little.
    Kristen & Jason 5/19/06
    Our Peanut has arrived 5/20/09
    Our Bean has arrived 11/30/11

I use zyratic (spelled wrong). I found the generic brand at Target. My 3 year old has awful allergies and post nasal drip which causes her to cough. This helps.
    A&K 05.18.02
    Baby Girl 09.06.05... Angel Baby Oct 2007... Baby Girl 10.21.08
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

I'm the bad mom and gave my daughter Triamenic strips at that age (for cough and cold). I know that I am not going to over medicate my daughter so I'm okay giving it to her when she is miserable. They will all say 6 year old now.

There is cough medicine for 4 year olds now - robitussen and triamenic liquid. Allergy medicine will really only work if it's allergies.

Delsym is for 4 year olds too.
    DS1 8.7.2007 DS2 7.20.2009 DD 5.14.2011

Well, he's pretty big for his age, so I have no problem giving him something that says for 4 yrs and up. Thanks for the replies- I just need to get something in him to get a little relief so he can rest! Off to CVS now!
    Baby Boy 1- 2008
    Baby Boy 2- 2011!

Also, PediaCare (recommended by our doctor) can be used for kids age 4-5. They work pretty well. But we've also used Olbas Cough Syrup since DS was a little over one and that helps a lot with coughs and congestions. I don't think we used anything other than that - except baby acetomenophen - before age 4.

We tend to avoid cold medicines for my 4 and 6 year olds. But I do not hesitate to give them tylenol and/or advil when they are feeling really yucky. My kids also use Ricola on rare occasions.

DS has chronic cough problems so at that age, he was taking a 1/2 teaspoon of adult strength Robitussin DM (Not DM Max) every 6 hours. His pediatrician didn't recommend the children's version because he doesn't think it's as effective.

Honey with lemon really helps a scratchy throat, so give him lots of that if he likes it. Hope he feels better soon.
    Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. -- John Lennon