Quantcast
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Replace kitchen table with Island?

We are about to undergo a kitchen renovation sometime around the first of the year. I am currently on layout #379 with our kitchen designer and it's making me mental! At the moment, we have an island with no seating, as well as a kitchen table. We have a formal dining room adjacent to the kitchen.

Because we are adding more cabinetry, we will only have the space to have an island with seating for 5 (4 across, with one on the end), OR a small island (just as a prep space) and keep the kitchen table which seats 6. As the kids get older I like the idea of them sitting at the island to do homework, eat a snack, etc. while I cook. We rarely use our dining room (even though I LOVE it), because the kitchen table is just more convenient/ kid friendly. We have 3 kids under the age of 7.
    We also only eat as a family on the weekends (usually it's my husband and the kids for breakfast, and just the 3 kids for dinner...I sit with them, but eat with DH after they go to bed)...partly because my kids go to bed early, and now because sports schedules are already starting to interfere with dinner the dinner schedule.

What would you do?
    MC 11.14.04 JJ 07.15.06 QB 04/19/09

I strongly prefer a kitchen table. In our last house, we had a huge island that ran almost the length of the kitchen. And while we loved it for prep, I really missed having a kitchen table to sit out. I grew up where the kitchen is often the center of activity and I really feel like sitting at an island is not conducive to hanging out whereas sitting at a kitchen table is.

Of course, now we have a kitchen table but until we redo our kitchen, we don't have island -- and I really miss the prep space of an island!

In my ideal, there's an island and a table. (FWIW, I don't have kids so no real-life comments on how that plays into it, but to me, the idea of eating around an island is just not the same as a family eating around the kitchen table.)

I'd want both. I like the idea of sitting at an island for a quick snack or even a meal, but not to do homework. To me, the kitchen isn't the spot for papers to be spread out all over the place.

In your situation, I'd do a prep island and a table. If one of the kids has a friend over for dinner and you don't want to go into the DR, you have an extra seat.
    Instead of having "answers" on a math test, they should just call them "impressions," and if you got a different "impression," so what, can't we all be brothers?

We have a kitchen table that seats 6, a small island that seats 2,and an adjoining dining room with a table that normally holds 6 but can hold 10-12.

We eat breakfast in the kitchen, at the table or island (we just kind of all spread out). After that it becomes sort of a messy play area for Playdoh, shaving cream art, etc. We eat lunch and dinner in the dining room every day, even when DH isn't there to eat with us.

I really like having the table in the kitchen for the kids to hang out at while I'm cooking. The island isn't a good choice for them to sit at because it's where my cooktop is and they can't handle that. And I really like eating frequently in the dining room. It makes me feel like I'm actually using all of my space, and it's nice to eat in a different room than the one I just made all messy.
    Karla, CPST Mom to DS1 5/06 * DD 8/07 * DS2 8/08 * DS3 3/10

We currently have a large island with seating for four on one side (no cooktop), a kitchen table and a dining room adjacent to the kitchen. We also have the Learning Tower permanently set up at one end of the island for DD. We probably use the island the most - DD helps with meal prep or she can sit and color or do play doh while I cook. That's generally where we eat if it's just two of us too. When all of us eat together (weekends and dinners), we generally sit at the kitchen table. But I'd be willing to give up the kitchen table and eat in the dining room. However, I wouldn't mind doing that because the furniture in our 'formal' dining room isn't that formal. I think if we had very formal furniture, I'd feel weird eating in there every day. In some ways, I wish we didn't have an eat in kitchen because I hate that the dining room gets used so little (only for holidays and when we have company since the table is larger).
    Marriage - 10/12/2003
    Lily - 9/26/2006

While we have an in eat in kitchen, we use the table space for dd's playroom and use the island for eating in the kitchen. One of my only complaints with this set up is that I don't find it comfortable for sitting a long time, but that probably has more to do with our backless, unpadded stools than the island itself. We use our dining room about once a week, and we would probably use it far less if we had a kitchen table. I don't like having rooms that sit unused for most of the year which I feel the indining room would if we had a kitchen table.

I would do the large island, eat breakfast there and eat dinner/family meals in the dining room. But we haven't had an EIK in our last 3-4 places so eating in the DR is normal for us.
    isabella noelle :: 12.7.09

Excellent. You guys are swaying me in the direction I wanted to be swayed
    Our dining room is somewhat formal, but we could tone it down a notch, I think. I love the table and chairs (it sits 8 for everyday but up to 12 with the additional leaf), and it really is a shame to never put it to use.
    MC 11.14.04 JJ 07.15.06 QB 04/19/09

Our friends replaced their kitchen table with an island in their recent kitchen renovation. It's fantastic -- they designed a really large island and it's a great use of space.

In your situation I'd go with a large island which could accommodate every day and use the dining room for weekend dinners and when you just need a sit down table.