Quantcast
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Pinterest - How do you find anything?

I've joined pinterest, mostly as a place to pin things I see on blogs/ internet that I want to remember or use for design projects. I thought I might find things on there that would expand my boards, but my question is, how do you find anything? I've just been plugging in key words into the search box, and seeing what comes up, but the main "home" page only has what I've already pinned at the top, and a bunch of things that have been repinned thousands of times by others. And for that matter, how come some things do get repinned thousands of times that are actually kind of dull (like a very boring green ring that is on my home page - I can't work out why it would be repinned 3000 times, while other images I have found have only been pinned once or something). Anyone know how it works?
    us 10.21.00 little boy 10.24.05 little girl 05.14.08 baby boy 05.18.10

i use it for pinning from blogs and for gathering images for a specific project. i don't ever skim the home page looking for things to pin, but i guess some people do. i think that's how something would get pinned so much - the longer it's been around, the more it gets pinned and all the recently pinned stuff is on the home page and people keep pinning it (i think!). i do have an image on a board that is constantly pinned.
    noa 6.6.04
    henri 9.10.06

The search function is kind of weird on Pinterest. Perhaps because people don't tag their images or only title them "." It can be hard to find things just by searching.

So, the main page when you log in has your stuff and your friends' stuff at the top. If you click on "everything," you can see the larger feed that has stuff pinned by people who are not your friends. I often skim through this section just to see what's out there. Sometimes I find things, sometimes I don't. It shouldn't be prioritizing only items that have been repinned a lot. You should be seeing whatever has been pinned most recently.

If I find one image that I like, I always make sure to click on the album where it is pinned, because I often find similar things in the album that I also want to keep.

Yes, it can be hard to search. I find that sometimes I do better with a Google images search is I'm looking for something specific. On Pinterest, I find it's good to follow people whose style you really like (bloggers, especially the ones whose blogs are really based on finding the latest and greatest in design or whatever or friends with similar tastes) and then they post a bunch of things that I often find worth repinning for myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Taurus View Post
    I do better with a Google images search
    Also, Flickr. Often better quality images than Google, depending on what you're looking for.

I usually look at the boards I follow first and then I look at "Everything". I have found tons of stuff that way and even by searching. I do love it for pinning things I find, though. I planned my son's entire Star Wars party based on things I pinned around the net!

I mainly use my iphone. I look at boards I am following and then the most popular pins at that moment. I also use it to pin things I like mainly from blogs.

ok, I feel a little stupid - I hadn't noticed the "everything" button. That's obviously how people have seen my pins to repin.

It seems like they need to make it work a little better. I have pinned stuff that when I've done a search have found the same image multiple times on the boards, pinned separately by different people. I'm not following anyone, so I don't have friends to repin (and maybe that's why the boring green ring has been repinned multiple times as it's a blogger that originally pinned it with a large following). Thanks for the tips!
    us 10.21.00 little boy 10.24.05 little girl 05.14.08 baby boy 05.18.10

As usual, I'm the last person to hear about a website... I usually find out about other websites from here, actually. This is an interesting idea, but can I ask what you all use it for? Is it just for inspiration? For home decorating? Inquiring minds want to know!
    Life is a great big canvas; throw all the paint on it you can. - Danny Kaye

I really like it, although I've only been on it a week so far. I have the following boards:
    1) craft ideas for DD
    2) recipes
    3) things that make me laugh
    4) videos that I want to show in my class that aren't on youtube (like National Geographic videos etc...)
    5) books to read
    6) research grants to apply for in the future
    7) trip planning - We're thinking of doing a big trip in May, so I'm using a board to keep track of ideas, hotels etc...

While I think the original ideas was to showcase design, I'm sort of using it as visual bookmarks. So I'm not really repinning a lot of things - mainly just things that I find during regular web searches.