Quantcast

Default Looks like ringworm but it's not.

Since the end of June (literally the day after we got back from vacation) my son developed what we thought looked like ringworm. It was getting worse so we took him to the doctor.

They immediately dismissed that it was ringworm and thought that it preceded after a fever. He never had a fever while we were on vacation. Per the doctor's orders we have been putting hydro cortisone cream on it. Since he has eczema we have a prescription.

It seemed to be going away and then it came back. We didn't think much of it except he keeps getting new spots while the other one goes away. It will appear for a couple of days and get smaller. They just keep coming back. I plan on making an appointment because this has me a little concerned that they won't go away.

I will have to take a picture and upload it but it really looks like ringworm. The spots can vary from his head, neck, chest, back and legs.

Anyone else have this experience and what it could possible be?

How big are the spots? I have eczema that appears to look a bit like ringworm (I thought that's what I had in the beginning). The spots are small, about pea sized maybe, but can spread out and get itchy and dry and flaky if not treated. They randomly appear and disappear. The spots are not always perfectly circular either. A pic would definitely help for comparison. What strength hydrocortisone is he on? DS appears to have inherited my eczema and for him it is not presenting as circular spots but more as the spread out and flaky but it's just like mine. We were prescribed 2.5% hydrocortisone and I didn't think that was working too well and now he's on something else.

Just fyi, my eczema flares up a lot in the summer, not just in winter. Sorry that you are dealing with this.

DS2 had a strange...something...on his leg for a few months. It looked a little like ringworm but I don't think that is what it really was. Regardless, it was there forever and never went away until I started putting coconut oil on it. Since then it starting showing healing signs within days and is now practically gone. Coconut oil is antimicrobial, antifungal, and antibacterial. I got mine from Amazon.com.
    "It's so easy to laugh, it's so easy to hate, it takes guts to be gentle and kind" ~ The Smiths
    DS1 6.29.06 ~:~ DS2 10.7.10

I had something like that when I was pregnant. There was one spot that was diagnosed as ringworm. I had anti-fungal cream (I think) for it. It went away, but about two weeks later I was covered on my chest, stomach, and back with patches of it. After being on several kinds of cream and diagnosed with a few different things, my midwife figured out that it was pityriasis rosea (sp). It was not dangerous and it went away on it's own in 2-3 weeks. I thought I was going crazy before it was diagnosed.

Married~ 6-15-02
    Noah~ 2-14-07 * Eli~ 3-5-10

I took some pics with my dh iPhone but they are not all that great. You can still see what I am talking about. I will do that today.

Shimmerstar - I was diagnosed with Pityriasis Lichanoides Chronica about 6 years ago. Summer time used to be horrible for me. I am wondering if he has something like that too.

Bug - They differ in size every time a new one pops up. The one on his stomach is about two quarter size. Most are about dime size. He has never had a rash with this, more like big circled spots. He is on 2.5% and that has always worked for him. We don't use it unless we have too. It has been unusually hot this year in Missouri and I am wondering if that has something to do with it. Just weird that it started the day after coming home from a weeks vacation.

Soulmate - Thanks for the suggestion. I will look I into that. So frustrating for sure. It has been there since the end of June.

I will post a picture today.

We are dealing with something similar and I am going to have to take DS back to the ped for it. Last night it looked awful and it is spreading but only on his thighs. I will take some pics and we can compare.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DD 2 had a skin skin issue that persisted for almost 2 years and after 6 visits to the pediatrician, I took her in to see a dermatologist. I never got a diagnosis other than they think she had an allergic reaction to a tick bite (I pulled the tick off of her). They gave me some prescription cream and 2 months later it was gone. My advice would be to go to a dermatologist. I love my pediatrician but she just keep telling me to give her Benadryl and put a Benadryl cream on the spots.
    A&K 05.18.02
    Baby Girl 09.06.05... Angel Baby Oct 2007... Baby Girl 10.21.08
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

Thanks cr8zy!

I agree - go to a dermatologist. I thought I had poison ivy for 6 weeks this fall and at one point even thought it might be ringworm because it was in a circle pattern. Dermatologist said eczema and it cleared up within 1 application of the medicine. It would have saved me weeks of itchy, red cracked hands if I had gone earlier!