Quantcast
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    a small drinking island with a fishing problem

Default My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding TLC

Is anyone else watching? I missed it on TLC so I'm catching up on YouTube. I'm halfway through the second episode. I can't stop watching.
    Chloe 8/2010 Oliver 7/2012
    At the beach life is different. Time doesn't move hour to hour, but mood to moment.
    We live by the currents, plan by the tides and follow the sun.

DH and I stumbled upon it last weekend and then again this weekend. DH is enthralled and says he can't wait to find someone else who watches this so he can discuss it.

It's all just so crazy!!! Where do they get all their money? Is it like the mafia? It alternately cracks me up and leaves me speechless.

But I found myself feeling really sad for those two teenages girls who explained that they cannot approach boys, boys approach them. And then they are expected to kiss the boys or they are grabbed and squeezed and groped until they do.

E&O: I was wondering the same thing- where the heck do they get their money?? Not that the weddings are extravagent, but those hideous custom made dresses have to be pretty expensive. That one guy in the last episode has a brand new convertible Audi, yet he said he is basically a day laborer???? I'm so confused! And why do all the girls dress like hookers? Even the little ones? Even at a wedding the female guests will wear bra tops and tight skirts!
    T + G = ER & EC

I watched a UK Gypsy Wedding documentary, not sure if it's the same one you're seeing on TLC. From what I saw/read they save up money for these parties and share within families. Their living costs are lower b/c they "travel", so don't pay mortgages or even rents. They also don't pay most taxes b/c they're not officially registered/listed anywhere.
    babygirl 10-29-07
    baby sister 7-17-11

I got sucked in too. It was very intriguing to me. The confirmation dresses. The wedding dresses that light up. The hooker dresses worn by the guests. The stripper dancing the little girls were doing. The traveling. The trailers.

I don't even know what to say.
    "I prayed for this child, and the LORD has granted me what I asked of him. I Samuel 1:27
    My miracle boy, Trey Marcellus: 11/21/2012

I caught this show a few times. I thought it was odd that the one family was able to arrange a gypsy only First Communion, complete with 'ho bag style makeup, but didn't bother to teach the girls how to appropriately receive the Host.
    I just finished reading the book Gypsy Boy, by Mikey Walsh who is from a large Romany family in England. It gives an unedited version of how the gypsies make money and how they treat their women/children...which makes the show all the more sad to me.
    "You'll never know everything about anything, especially something you love." Julia Child

Quote Originally Posted by Adaya View Post
    I don't even know what to say.
    Word. This show is crazy!
    Why do people kill people who kill people to show people that to kill people - is bad?

I am watching this show for the first time right now and it is f-ing NUTS. Holy..... wow, I don't even know what to say.

Just watched the first episode on youtube. It is definitely less flattering to the culture than the other (shorter) documentary that I watched a few months ago. Perhaps this one is a bit more honest? So far the dresses aren't as outlandish as I saw in the other one believe it or not!
    babygirl 10-29-07
    baby sister 7-17-11

I find it so difficult to believe that even with following cultural beliefs that in the year 2011 they still marry young, the women are there for cleaning and taking care if the husbands, and giving birth. Most of them are illiterate, boys and girls, what are they learning up to the age of 12 or 13 when they quit school? I knew how to read and write at 5 or 6, why don't they? It's just so old school in life learning, yet new world in the ways they dress, like the 8 year old hooker fashions! I just don't get it I guess!? Very sad really!
    RIP Mom, you are missed!
    Tulips