Quantcast

Default How do you decorate your office space at work?

I've realized my office just plain depressing - white walls, blah filing cabinet, crowded book shelves. To make it worse there's a giant dead plant in the corner that I can't bring myself to throw out because I'm supposed to be 'plant sitting' while my colleague is on sabbatical and I don't want to admit that I killed it.

How do you decorate your office space/cubicle? Does anyone in your office have a nice space that doesn't cost a fortune (the university only provides the basics)? I realized that I spend more waking hours in my office than my home, and yet it looks like a cell

Another faculty member here...so I know what you mean about the blah space and the basic furniture. I put up two nicely framed cork boards and put up photos and artwork from my kids. I also put one of those wires for hanging kids' artwork across my back wall behind the desk, and I rotate the kids' art on that. It brightens up the place plus it seems to help the students realize that I'm a real person with a life and not someone who just sits in my office waiting to serve them.

I have a framed print that is very calm and soothing. Great for looking at on those crazy days! I don't have a lot of wall space due to lots of windows, so I stuck with just the one print. I also have a ton of framed pictures of DD, DH and me that are on the window sill and across the top of the hutch portion of my desk.
    C & B - 5.13.06
    DD - 9.15.07
    My LJ

I have tons of pictures of family and drawings from DD1. But I know that won't fly at all offices. Actually, www.corporette.com had a post awhile back about suggestions for decorating your office.
    Kidlet 1 - 8/06
    Kidlet 2 - 7/09
    Kidlet 3 - 12/12

I have my very first OFFICE and I'm having a ball decorating it! I know this is silly, but since my favorite color is pink, I bought some clear accesories and have put pink flower stickers on them. I also got a pink rolodex since it was breast cancer month. I haven't gone completely over the edge but I'm happy I can accesorize my space however I want too! I'm looking through pics to see which ones I want to put in my office. Just had a cute shot of my grandson, his mom and boyfriend on FB so I'm going to print that one out for sure.
    RIP Mom, you are missed!
    Tulips

I came to this same realization about six months ago. I spend at least 9.5 hours/day, usually more at work and I had nothing personal or decorative in my office. Some of my coworkers, meanwhile, had very nicely decorated with framed prints, decorative boxes, vases, plants, etc. I had a really hard time deciding what sort of style I wanted. I found several things I liked on the Viva Terra website, such as this terrarium which sits on my desk:

and this planter, which sits on my windowsill with some stone cairns, nature photos and other plants:

What I haven't done yet is purchased prints for the walls. I have a lot of wall space and I'd like to find some beautiful photos to frame for the walls.

Edited to add: Viva Terra is kind of expensive, but they do run some fairly good sales regularly.

Clients see my office so I keep it simple with a nice planter filled with plants that don't require daily watering and a 5x7 framed photo of SO and I. I have an L shaped desk and try to keep the side that the client sits at super simple and basic.

I don't have an office....rather I have a desk along a wall, that's next to about 7 other desks. I just have kids artwork and photos up.
    Mommy August 25, 2005
    and again... March 21, 2008

So you mean piles of papers and textbooks don't count as decoration?

For Christmas my mom gave me three frames and about 15 mats that she covered with seasonal scrapbook paper. I switch out seasonal pictures of my family. They hang right above my desk and make me really happy. My students like to look at them, too.

Here is this year's fall set
    Megan and Derek: 6/15/02, Dean: 6/27/05, Reed: 10/3/07, Ruby: 11/21/11
    My determined purpose is that I may know Him.

I have a few pics and some plants. That's pretty much the standard. But with the holidays coming up, I (and a few other desk mates) recently put up plain holiday lights. The boss was super impressed and encouraged us to keep it going. I realize this is only an option if you work at a very friendly office, though.