Quantcast
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Thanksgiving Breakfast Ideas

Our typical family plan for Thanksgiving is out the window this year. My s/mom has to work Black Friday and the following Saturday. Plus, her brother's surprise 50th birthday party is on Sunday. Both my ILs and her family are adament that we spend Thanksgiving Day with them (I w/ my ILs and she with her family). Wednesday evening is out since everyone (but me who stays home) works out of the house until their usual time of 5 or 6pm.

So, we are left with celebrating Thanksgiving with my dad and s/mom on Thursday at breakfast. I'd like to think of some fun breakfast ideas, but I'm at a loss. It just doesn't seem right to do the typical bacon/eggs, pancakes, biscuits/gravy, etc for a holiday celebration.

Any ideas for what to serve? Recipes would be much appreciated as well!
    Women are angels, and when someone breaks our wings
    we continue to fly...on broomsticks.
    We are flexible like that.

How about a German Apple Pancake? This is our favorite weekend breakfast. It is like having apple pie for breakfast! I cut the butter in half and it is still tasty! The kids love it. You can make the batter the night before and refrigerate it, so all you have to do in the morning is prep the apples and assemble it and pop it in the oven. It would go great with a breakfast casserole, I think.

Ingredients

* 4 eggs
    * 1/2 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
    * 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
    * 1 tablespoon sugar
    * 1 pinch salt
    * 1 cup milk
    * 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    * 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
    * 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
    * 1/4 cup unsalted butter
    * 1/2 cup white sugar, divided
    * 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    * 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
    * 1 large tart apple - peeled, cored and sliced

Directions

1. In a large bowl, blend eggs, flour, baking powder, sugar and salt. Gradually mix in milk, stirring constantly. Add vanilla, melted butter and 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg. Let batter stand for 30 minutes or overnight.
    2. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
    3. Melt butter in a 10 inch oven proof skillet, brushing butter up on the sides of the pan. In a small bowl, combine 1/4 cup sugar, cinnamon and 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg. Sprinkle mixture over the butter. Line the pan with apple slices. Sprinkle remaining sugar over apples. Place pan over medium-high heat until the mixture bubbles, then gently pour the batter mixture over the apples.
    4. Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) and bake for 10 minutes. Slide pancake onto serving platter and cut into wedges.

Breakfast Casserole is pretty easy too, and can be assembled the night before and stored in the fridge. I've done a cheddar/broccoli meatless version that was devoured at a brunch.

Overnight Breakfast Casserole

4 eggs, beaten
    1/2 c Bisquick
    1/2 c shredded cheddar cheese
    1/2 lb sausage, browned, drained and crumbled
    1 c milk
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp dry mustard

Mix all ingredients and pour into a greased baking dish. Cover with foil or plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight. Bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes.

Another favorite is Creme Brulee French Toast. Super yummy, can be prepped the night before and popped in the oven in the morning. Its another dessert type breakfast dish, so it goes well paired with something savory.

Ingredients

* 1/2 cup unsalted butter
    * 1 cup packed brown sugar
    * 2 tablespoons corn syrup
    * 6 French bread
    * 5 eggs
    * 1 1/2 cups half-and-half cream
    * 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    * 1 teaspoon brandy-based orange liqueur (such as Grand Marnier®)
    * 1/4 teaspoon salt

Directions

1. Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Mix in brown sugar and corn syrup, stirring until sugar is dissolved. Pour into a 9x13 inch baking dish.
    2. Remove crusts from bread, and arrange in the baking dish in a single layer. In a small bowl, whisk together eggs, half and half, vanilla extract, orange brandy, and salt. Pour over the bread. Cover, and chill at least 8 hours, or overnight.
    3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Remove the dish from the refrigerator, and bring to room temperature.
    4. Bake uncovered 35 to 40 minutes in the preheated oven, until puffed and lightly browned.

Pumpkin pie is so good when it's cold and for breakfast.

I don't have recipes but I think something like crepes or fruit tarts would be nice with a breakfast casserole like Grenouille posted. You can make Mexican style coffee (a little more special than just regular coffee and creamer) which is made with cinnamon tea instead of just hot water, it gives a nice subtle cinnamon kick which is delicious (if you drink coffee).

Maybe you can do croissant sandwhiches or apple cinnamon french toast?
    DD 11.24.07 DS 9.8.09
    Unless you have a degree in putting yourself in someone elses shoes, you have no idea what other people are experiencing in this world.

I was thinking of Croque Monsieurs made with crossaints, or maybe that French Bread bake recipe that KarenS posted in a breakfast thread ages ago, anyone remember?

French Toast Casserole
    1 loaf baguette bread (the long, skinny loaf)
    8 large eggs
    2 cups half-and-half
    1 cup milk
    2 tablespoons granulated sugar
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg

Slice French bread into 1-inch slices, discarding the heels. You should have about 20 slices. If your baguette is short and will not make 20 1" slices, get 2 of them. Arrange slices in a generously buttered 9 by 13-inch flat baking dish in 2 rows, overlapping the slices. In a large bowl, combine the eggs, half-and-half, milk, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt and whisk until blended but not too bubbly. Pour mixture over the bread slices, making sure all are covered evenly with the milk-egg mixture. Cover with foil and refrigerate overnight.

The next day, preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Top with praline topping (if desired) and bake for 40 minutes, until puffy and golden.

Praline Topping
    2 sticks butter
    1 cup packed light brown sugar
    1 cup chopped pecans
    2 tablespoons light corn syrup
    1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
    Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl and blend well.
    Last edited by looch; 11-10-2010 at 10:33 AM. Reason: found the recipe!
    Instead of having "answers" on a math test, they should just call them "impressions," and if you got a different "impression," so what, can't we all be brothers?

If you wanted to nod to Thanksgiving, you could make turkey hash and pumpkin muffins. It could be overkill with the rest of the day, though .

I'm making these for breakfast this year - so good!!

Not long ago, I was at a diner and they served this killer omelet as a daily special" Turkey, spinach and swisss served with toasted rye bread. It was awesome!

The Pioneer Woman's blog has several breakfast ideas that look pretty awesome here.

Pumpkin French Toast came to mind immediately. Southern Living has brunch recipes for Thanksgiving in their November issue. You might check their website.
    New Year, New Baby
    DD - 01/04/07 DS - 01/29/09