Quantcast
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Migraine/headaches after napping?

Why do I always get a migraine after taking a nap? I wouldn't take a nap but I still feel like I need one. However, when I wake up I always have a headache that lasts all night and goes into the next day. For instance, I took a nap yesterday around 3:30 and slept until 4:30. When I woke up I had a monster headache so I drank a ton of water and took Tylenol. It did nothing. It kept me up all night and it's going on noon today and I still have it. Is there anything I can take for migraines? Any reason why this always happens?.
    DS1 8.7.2007 DS2 7.20.2009 DD 5.14.2011

I'm not pregnant or anything, so I feel weird replying to this, but I lost my ability to take naps several years ago. If I take one, I wake up feeling worse than I did before, and I then can't fall asleep at night. Sometimes I do feel sick or headachey after a nap. I then get into this awful cycle where I'm up all night because I slept during the day, and tired all day because I was up all night. It is *just* like what happens when a kid is ready to give up napping, you know? You just have to break the cycle by pushing through a few days of being tired and going to bed earlier, then things tend to even out.

That's not helpful, but it sounds like your body is telling you not to take a nap. I've had to retrain myself to just go to bed earlier or suck it up and be tired. Again, I know, not helpful, I'm sorry. But I think this is one of the "joys" of getting older .

I don't normally take naps unless I'm pregnant. But it's so hard not to nap when the boys are napping and it's just me and DH laying on the couch watching an afternoon movie together. At first I wake up feeling great. But then after an hour or so the slow throbbing starts and Tylenol doesn't do squat.

But yes the "cycle" certainly sucks. I nap bc I'm tired then get a headache that keeps me up all night then want to nap the next day. Ugh! Oh well.

I can't nap during the day, pregnant or not, because it gives me a headache. If I absolutely have to nap, I have to be in complete darkness. Like in my window-less closet. If I try to sleep for any amount of time once the sun is up, I get a headache. I tell myself that it's because the light bothers my eyes, but I don't know if that's really possible or not.
    Karla, CPST Mom to DS1 5/06 * DD 8/07 * DS2 8/08 * DS3 3/10

I find I wake dehydrated (get to warm maybe when I nap? Since I am usually wearing clothes instead of PJ's)
    Tara and Terry: May 13, 2006
    Elizabeth Vittoria: December 21, 2007

After months and months of headaches, often waking up with one, I recently found out I have high blood pressure. Is your BP okay?

With my last pg, I had headaches come on almost every afternoon. They weren't nap related though, so I don't know how applicable it is to you. Anyhow, I found a full on caffeine drink to help a lot. I stuck with coffee, nice and strong as I'm not a big a pop drinker. Anytime I tried to skip the caffeine, I got another multi day migraine. I've not had this problem outside of pg, so it isn't a caffeine addiction issue.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

mmm- as far as i know my bp is ok. I got it taken about 4 weeks ago and will have it taken again on Wed. I think maybe it's just one of those things that happens. I just wish I could take something other than tylenol, which I know I can't. It's going on 30 hours with this headache and I'm hoping I can sleep tonight and get rid of it.

Again, thanks for the suggestions. I do drink 8-12 oz of coffee in the morning and I'm always afraid drinking it too late will keep me up at night.

Woke up every few hours with this monstrous headache. I was exhausted and in pain so I broke down and decided to take 3 Tylenol instead of the normal 2. Worked like a charm and not only did I sleep like a baby the rest of the night but I woke up in a very good mood. So I guess as a last resort 3 tylenol actually work for me.

I feel your pain!! I had a migraine that started on Friday afternoon and went clear through about 10am on Sunday! I slept from 8:30 Saturday night until 10ish Saturday morning but was awake from 4:30-6:30 ready to puke at any moment! I had to suck it up and take more tylenol than I wanted. I usually start with 1 and add another 1 an hour later but I found myself taking 2 as often as allowed. I probably should've done a dose of 3 like you did, on Saturday night... maybe I wouldn't have been up in the middle of the night!

Hopefully neither you nor I get anymore before our babies are born

Miles : 11.03.06 Agnes : 03.25.11