Quantcast
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Bloating no matter what I eat or don't eat

For the past few months, when I wake up I'm fine, then throughout the day become more and more bloated. I have a good diet, don't drink caffeine, etc ... If I drink too much water I seem to retain it, leading to me being super dehydrated a good part of the time since I don't want to make the bloating worse. Even if I eat a protein bar or an apple or a piece of turkey bacon I bloat. By the end of the day I've gained several pounds and I am so bloated I feel like my skin will burst. It's gross and it's freaking embarrassing. Then I go to sleep and wake up normal. It's like my body resets.

I don't know who I should talk to about this - if at all. It feel stupid and embarrassing. Should I call my PCP? Or my gyno? I have PCOS so maybe it's related to that? I just don't know the right person to approach.

Ugh. It's stressing me out. Has this happened to anyone? What was your resolution?
    Why do people kill people who kill people to show people that to kill people - is bad?

If it's been going on for that long and you are concerned about it then you should definitely see the dr. There could be several underlying conditions that could cause abdominal bloating. Call whichever dr. You are most comfortable with first. There are gyn conditions that can contribute to bloating. They could probably do an ultrasound. If they don't find anything then they could refer you to another Dr. Go ahead and get it checked out. Better to have that peace of mind!!
    Last edited by CarolinaGirl; 01-20-2010 at 07:22 PM.
    Married 6-14-03
    DD #1 6-13-05
    DD #2 9-21-07

Tell your PCP. If he/she does not believe you, press the issue and/or find another PCP. Weigh yourself every morning and then every afternoon when you get home from work and keep a log. 2-3 lbs diff is normal; 7-10 lbs diff is not.

It could be nothing. It could be many things. But I will telll you that for me when I had severe daily bloating (among others symptioms) that it was because I had an undiagnosed pituitary tumor. For years I could not get a doctor to take me seriously. They all thought it was all in my head. It was - quite literally.

By the time it was diagnosed and removed, the damage to my pituitary was quite severe and as a consequence, I suffered from severe osteoporosis from the age of 30 onwards. I have broken over 20 bones. I have broken each of my shoulders twice. It can be hell. I suffer from fertility issues that no amount of ART can seem to remedy (and hence at 43 I am reconciled to never being pregnant).

But the good news is that your problem may be not be this. And even if it is, you are young enough that it can be caught sooner without as much damage. A simple thyroid panel amongst other blood tests can be very illuminating. I would make an appointment with your PCP ASAP.

Thanks. I have an appointment with my PCP this afternoon.
    Why do people kill people who kill people to show people that to kill people - is bad?

Quote Originally Posted by jajacobsen View Post
    Tell your PCP. If he/she does not believe you, press the issue and/or find another PCP. Weigh yourself every morning and then every afternoon when you get home from work and keep a log. 2-3 lbs diff is normal; 7-10 lbs diff is not.

It could be nothing. It could be many things. But I will telll you that for me when I had severe daily bloating (among others symptioms) that it was because I had an undiagnosed pituitary tumor. For years I could not get a doctor to take me seriously. They all thought it was all in my head. It was - quite literally.

By the time it was diagnosed and removed, the damage to my pituitary was quite severe and as a consequence, I suffered from severe osteoporosis from the age of 30 onwards. I have broken over 20 bones. I have broken each of my shoulders twice. It can be hell. I suffer from fertility issues that no amount of ART can seem to remedy (and hence at 43 I am reconciled to never being pregnant).

But the good news is that your problem may be not be this. And even if it is, you are young enough that it can be caught sooner without as much damage. A simple thyroid panel amongst other blood tests can be very illuminating. I would make an appointment with your PCP ASAP.
    Can I hijack for an instance...
    jaja, I'm going to google, but do you have any info that relates pituitary gland issues to osteoporosis or loss of bone density? FIL has Cushings Disease and had 2 surgeries last year to remove the tumor on his pituitary gland. He fell last week at home, just from standing to floor, and broke his neck and hip. I asked about it being related and nobody could answer for me.

Well that was a quick google. Looks like it is definitely related. Yet one more thing to talk to the dr about. Sigh.

Sorry for the hijack.

imagirliegirl, hope you get it figured out!!

Boiler - yes they are related, as you found out, but I only know info that is relevant to my specific experience/health situation and is probably more applicable to a woman suffering from this in her 20s/30s (when I was undiagnosed) than a male in the 50+ age range. His physicians, most likely his endocrinologist, would be the best to advise him and his family.

As for me, my pitutiary tumor caused suppressed production of estrogen. My low/non existent levels of estrogen contributed to poor calcium absorption/bone strength in my 20s. I was diagniosed with advanced osteoporosis at 31, the age when most women start to naturally lose bone density.

Before anyone think I am "woe is me" - I am not. I have made huge strides in strengthening my bones. I have had a few accidents and some very serious breaks along the way. But I am now quite strong, very active and have been able to have a 15+% INCREASE in bone density from age 31-41. But I will never again accept unresolved, lingering health problems that never seem to get properly addressed for myself or anyone in my family.

good luck Imagirliegirl! I hoep it is nothing serious or of serious, can be properly resoled.

Could be allergies to what you are eating. I became lactose intolerant all of a sudden. I can relate to the bloating--I called my dr. and said I would have to wear a muu muu in to the appt. my size would change very dramatically. Another thing to have checked is celiac disease. I don't have that...but, my friend, who suffered for years with it when it wasn't commonly diagnosed, had bloating as one of the symptoms. Good Luck!

Well, I had a tummy x-ray and it looks like I am literally full of crap.

So I'm gonna take some Miralax for a week and see if that helps. If not they'll test for food allergies.

Delightful!

Well I hope it is as simple as that, and easily remedied. If the problem persists, you might have your thyroid checked, as chronic constipation and bloating are classic symptoms of thyroid issues. Good luck.