Quantcast
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default How many strollers do you have? How many do you need?!

I said I wouldn't have multiple strollers because that's just stupid and a waste of money (even though all our friends said yes you will!)...well DD is only 3 months old, and we have THREE (but have only used one)! We have the Uppa Baby Vista as our regular stroller, the Maclaren Volo for an umbrella stroller and the Baby Jogger Summit for a jogging stroller.

Obviously we need a stroller, so the Uppa, fine. Then I was told you HAVE to have an umbrella stroller for some reason...ok, so I got one of those. Then DH HAD to have a jogging stroller so he could take her running with him. Whatever.

I was going to just bring the umbrella stroller for our upcoming vacation, but then I heard that you need the seat to recline (not sure if this is true or not?), which the Volo doesn't...so now I'm thinking that stroller is a waste!

How many and which strollers do you have? Do you use them all? What have you found is actually a necessity?
    T + G = ER & EC

We have 3 and only currently use one.

When she was a baby we had a snap and go. We used it until she was about 6 months old. Then I bought a nice umbrella stroller (a Peg Perego Pliko Lite) and that is pretty much all we use now (the seat does recline). We also have the huge stroller that came with her travel system, but if I had to do it over again I wouldn't have bought the travel system. We occasionally use that one for walks around the neighborhood, but the umbrella stroller is just as good for that, too.
    DD Feb '08
    DS June '11
    DD Jan '15

We have one. We also had a double for the twins (which got a lot of use), but that one got lost in a parkng garage . We also had a double snap-n-go that we used exclusively when the twins were very little.

I never exactly understood getting an umbrella stroller AND a bigger one (unless you are just getting a cheapy umbrella to take on the airplane). If the big stroller is too cumbersome to take on quick outings, then I would always just end up using the smaller one anyway.

I was also under the imression that you could only jog with a baby in the stroller past the age of 12 months, since prior to that their heads get jostled around too much.
    DD#1- 3/2005
    Twins - 5/12/2008

We have two. We have our Peg P3 that we bought before DD was born and we have a cheapy umbrella stroller that we used when we went to Hawaii last year. (In fact, I think my SIL got the umbrella stroller free from TRU during some kind of promotion.) That is the ONLY time we have used the umbrella stroller instead of the Peg. I don't understand the "need' for several different strollers, diaper bags, etc. I have ONE diaper bag that has served me well for the past almost three years.
    "It's a great day for hockey!" - Badger Bob Johnson (1931 - 1991)

Kaitlyn builds a space shuttle!

We have a snap n go and a Bumbleride Indie, currently. We have used both, but the baby definitely prefers the smoother ride of the Bumble (the carseat snaps in which is what we do, but it also has a full recline); unfortunately we have a ton of stairs so if I'm alone I have to use the sng. We were set to get the Uppa instead of the Bumbleride, but I finally accepted we would not get away with just one stroller so I decided to go with something cheaper. I go back and forth about whether or not that was a good decision. I assume later we will get either a Maclaren or a Quinny Zapp (bc of the fold for travel), but at that point I will sell the snap n go. For US, a stroller with air tires is great for use around our neighborhood bc the sidewalks are - patterned, for lack of a better word - and very bumpy w/ the sng. However we travel a lot (via plane) and the Bumbleride is slightly cumbersome for that, plus I don't want it to get broken.

I think you only need a full recline until your baby has full neck control, but I could be wrong. If it's a driving trip I would probably take the uppababy in your position.
    Last edited by laura; 01-17-2010 at 11:18 AM.
    isabella noelle :: 12.7.09

We have 3 and all have served their purpose well. We'll be getting a 4th with this kid. But so much of it depends on your lifestyle.

I will say that the Volo was prob not the best purchase for you at this stage. You would have been better off getting an umbrella with a recline since you can use it much earlier.

As for our strollers..

We have the Chicco travel system which comes in handy when you don't want to take the infant out of the seat (esp since I have winter babies). Once DD hit 4 months, we stopped using it for much at all. We would still use it here and there if we were going somewhere and I needed the basket space underneath..like all of us going to the zoo or something. I also used it as a travel bed since it laid flat and meant I didn't have to take a pack n play with me for the first 3-4 months. Just park it next to the bed and put the brakes on.

We have a BOB ironman jogging stroller that we use a lot. But DH and I are both runners. The only double we are getting is a double BOB and that is only because we can't figure out the logistics of getting our runs in without the ability to take both kids with us. But we are keeping the single too. As much as I love our jogger, I wouldn't recommend one to anyone who doesn't run min 3 times a week. I just don't think they work well beyond that. There are much better options for all terrain that could work as an everyday stroller as well.

And we have a Quest. This became our everyday stroller when DD was around 4 months. Because it has the recline, we could use it early. The only negative is that you can't hang things on it as it is so lightweight that if you take the kid out, it would tip over. But you only do it once or twice before you figure that out LOL. This stroller was worth every single penny I paid for it. We travel monthly though and it is so easy to take to the airport or in the car since it is soo small it doesn't take up much room at all.

And after all that, I actually prefer to wear the baby for most things

Quote Originally Posted by catmom View Post
    I was also under the imression that you could only jog with a baby in the stroller past the age of 12 months, since prior to that their heads get jostled around too much.
    I heard that too! Then I thought maybe it's not true because I see people all the time jogging with babies under 1 year, but I think you're right because I read that somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy Van Pelt View Post
    We have our Peg P3 that we bought before DD was born and we have a cheapy umbrella stroller that we used when we went to Hawaii last year.
    That's where we're going...did you need the umbrella stroller to recline when you were in Hawaii? I'm guessing the person who told me this did so based on the assumption it needs to recline so the baby can sleep??

Quote Originally Posted by laura View Post
    If it's a driving trip I would probably take the uppababy in your position.
    It's a flying trip, otherwise I'd definitely take the uppa...I'm still considering taking the uppa since you get to check strollers at the door of the plane, but the uppa is pretty beastly so the umbrella may just be overall easier.
    T + G = ER & EC

The recline is important for young ones because they don't have total head control and without recline, it would be a strain on their necks to sit upright for that long. The slight recline relieves that pressure. But even then, they aren't recommended under 4 months.

We have two:

MacLaren Volo (stays in the trunk of the car, used for quick stops at the mall or grocery store, also for plane travel)

Bumbleride Indie (everyday stroller-- lightweight enough (20lbs) to fold up and take anywhere, but I also use it as a jogger and it handles like a dream on rough terrain)

We specifically bought the Indie because we didn't want to have to buy a bunch of strollers, and it was the perfect choice. In fact, two years later, we often say it's the best baby-related purchase we made.

Quote Originally Posted by taffers View Post
    That's where we're going...did you need the umbrella stroller to recline when you were in Hawaii? I'm guessing the person who told me this did so based on the assumption it needs to recline so the baby can sleep??
    That wasn't an issue for us because my daughter was 15 months old when we went to Kaua'i. If she was still an infant, I would have just taken my P3.
    "It's a great day for hockey!" - Badger Bob Johnson (1931 - 1991)

Kaitlyn builds a space shuttle!