Quantcast
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default How old is too old to believe in Santa?

My niece is in 3rd grade and is almost 9 years old. She asked her mother if Santa was real saying "don't lie to me" and her mother told her yes, Santa is real. I guess niece has asked her mom 4 times whether or not Santa is real and her mom just keeps lying.

I'm just wondering how old is "too old" to believe Santa is real. I'm imagining her running to school telling her fellow third graders that Santa brought her x and y, and them all laughing at her!

How old were you when you realized Santa wasn't real? And if you're a parent, at what point will you tell your kids the truth about old Kris Kringle? Is there a certain age? Or is it when the child begins asking?

I must know.
    Why do people kill people who kill people to show people that to kill people - is bad?

I still believed in 3rd grade. I think 4th grade was when I started questioning, except a memorable occasion in 2nd grade when an older kid at school told me Santa died in a war. I ran home and cried until my mom assured me it wasn't true.

I think I knew there wasn't a Santa when I was around 6 or 7, but continued to receive presents from "Santa" until I was in my teens. This was a quirk of my parents...they liked giving me a present from them on Christmas eve, but presents on Christmas morning always came from Santa. They knew I didn't believe anymore, but we never really talked about it. I know that even in my early teens I would say that I got a present from "Santa" and no one would tease me about it, but it might have been because they knew I meant my parents. Third grade is a little old to still whole heartedly believe, but I think she'll have it figured out on her own by next year (she may also just be testing her mother's honesty). If not, the teasing might begin, but Santa mythology is so flexible in our society, nobody really seems to care too much. Hell, I know grownups who insist on believing in Santa even when children aren't around, and all I ever do is roll my eyes when they're not looking.

I sort of think she's testing her mom, too. Which sucks because the weather has gone to crap but they couldn't beat the storm because they have to stay home so "Santa" can come.
    Why do people kill people who kill people to show people that to kill people - is bad?

I still believe in Santa! My mom always told me if I didn't believe, I wouldn't get any presents! So as far as she's concerned, I still do

My husband's aunt told her son Santa wasn't real when he started 7th grade so he wouldn't embarrass himself and end up getting teased. He cried I honestly don't remember a time I *really* believed, but I've always been a skeptic.
    Eve Eleanor arrived June 5, 2007
    Graham Alexander arrived February 27, 2010
    George Derek arrived October 17, 2014

I think I was about8 or 9 when I flat out asked my mom if she and my dad were Santa. She replied "Yes, just like the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy." I hadn't even suspected those! She regretted it the minute she said it, but there was no taking it back.
    C & B - 5.13.06
    DD - 9.15.07
    My LJ

IMO, there is no such thing as 'too old to believe in Santa".
    Mom of one that I hold in my heart and two that I hold in my arms, and TTC #4

I think I was seven when my parents decided to not remove the picture of my mom filling the stockings from the Christmas slide show. I think that is as long as they could hold back my brother who is 5 years older than me. I distinctly recall having the conversation at school in the second grade about whether he was real or not. In terms of how that affected our Christmas', not much. I still got a stocking until I was 14. And we never really got too many presents that were supposedly from Santa but once I was told the truth, we never got Santa presents again.

In talking to co-workers and my few friends who have kids old enough, it seems like 8-9 is about the age.
    J&D - May 2005 *** E - 8/7/06 *** J - 3/17/09

I was 9 when I found out. I think I suspected something at 8 (3rd grade), but finally admitted it in 4th grade. I did keep the secret from my younger brothers though, because Santa always brought awesome presents! Even after my brothers "found out" we still got gifts from Santa - it's definitely a fun way to celebrate
    Big Brother 7.06.06
    Little Sister 3.26.09

Blog

I think I found out around 8 years old that Santa wasn't real. I'm hoping that my gut will tell me when to tell my kids the truth. However, when DS figures out that Santa isn't real, he'll have to keep the secret from his sisters until they're old enough to question it. He'll continue to get gifts from Santa. I'm 28 and I still get gifts from "Santa" (a.k.a. my mom and dad) - nothing huge, a nice cookbook, other books, etc. but always something.
    Boy - 8/04 : Girl - 6/06 : Girl - 2/08