Quantcast
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How do you hang outdoor window swags?

I can't believe I can't find this info online. Or maybe I can, since I can't even find the product online.

We want those holiday window swags...it's like a little hunk of pine with a ribbon or bow on it, and they're hung from each window, outside. Sometimes they are right at the bottom of the window, sometimes they hang down a bit.

I could only find those with lights/candles included online...maybe I was searching under the wrong thing but I couldn't believe they didn't come pre-made (at least not easily). So we ended up buying fake pine swags and ribbon, and I put one together that looks decent. However.

How do you hang it? I assumed they just went out the window then you closed the window on the ribbon/string/rope/whatever to keep it in place. But it was a windy day when I tried one and that thing was flying all over the place.

Am I missing something? Am I clueless? If you know what I'm talking about, and can help, thanks in advance.
    A Place For Everything, and Everything In Its Place.

Do you mean a pine garland? In that case I think they usually screw some eye hooks and hang it from there.
    The exception may prove the rule, but what proves the exception? "It is not that such things are possible", the camel thinks, smiling. "But such things are possible for me".

i don't know what you're talking about, but could you use a large 3m hook?
    noa 6.6.04
    henri 9.10.06

Okay, I found this picture:

window swag

So it is sort of like that except it would not be sitting on a window ledge (because we don't have any) and would not have a candle. They're hung from upper level windows as well, and look just like they are tacked on to the bottom of the window, but I don't think they are actually using hooks (although I could be wrong).

I might just have to wander over to a neighbor's house and ask them how they do it!

okay - then come back and report because i have the same question!

Screw two small eye hooks a few inches in from each side of the windowsill. Use flexible wire (green twist ties, florist wire, etc) to wire the swag to the windowsill. If you live in a very windy area, consider adding another eye hook to the center of the sill. This wil keep them in place

I wimped out. I returned the un-used swags/ribbons because it was just going to be too.much.work. to get them hung.

I still really like the look, but I guess I didn't allow myself enough time.

Oh, well, there's always next year!

Thanks for all the input!

i use these to hang heavy fresh garlands every year. as long as the wall is smooth, it'll work.
    http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...roducts/hooks/
    noa 6.6.04
    henri 9.10.06

Dana, while I think Command hooks are great for interior applications (I use them for wreaths and garlands myself), I don't think they would stand up to the rigors of wind, rain or snow for exterior applications. I could be wrong though...

Wow - those are great! They would totally solve my candle problem - I hate having extension cords everywhere, and non-childsafe outlet situations with two young kids. Holy expensive, though. Still, kind of cool they are outside candle lights - hadn't occured to me to look for that.